Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ok to leave petrol in container over winter months?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

petrol does go off, so you may find in the springtime that the mower won't start for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

petrol does go off, so you may find in the springtime that the mower won't start for you.

Hi MB.

Is it worse to leave the petrol in the lawnmower or petrol can? Since the can is airtight - would this prevent it going bad?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I'd run the mower to use up the juice that's in it (when you're sure you won't need it until Spring) but the petrol in a sealed can should be okay. I've never had to dump it for being 'flat'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I would not leave it in the lawnmower. Empty it out of the lawnmower or just use it up. Keep it in the can if you have to. And add new petrol to the can come spring.

Lots of people each year have problems starting the lawnmower come spring, mostly due to old petrol or letting the petrol sit in the lawnmower over the winter.

BadCharlie wrote: »
    I would not leave it in the lawnmower. Empty it out of the lawnmower or just use it up. Keep it in the can if you have to. And add new petrol to the can come spring.

Lots of people each year have problems starting the lawnmower come spring, mostly due to old petrol or letting the petrol sit in the lawnmower over the winter.

Hi BC.

But if I kept it in the can then would it be good for spring? Why buy new petrol then?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

I've often used old petrol out of a can that had been left for months. No problem.

But do not leave fuel sitting in the mower all winter. It'll go off and clog up the carburettor which is a pain to get right, even when you know what you're doing.

Let the mower run dry before you park it up for the winter. Drain any remaining fuel out of the carburettor also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It will be fine in the can but run the mower dry if putting it away for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I'm currently using 15 year old petrol in my lawnmower.

aujopimur wrote: »
    I'm currently using 15 year old petrol in my lawnmower.

:eek:

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    I've often used old petrol out of a can that had been left for months. No problem.

But do not leave fuel sitting in the mower all winter. It'll go off and clog up the carburettor which is a pain to get right, even when you know what you're doing.

Let the mower run dry before you park it up for the winter. Drain any remaining fuel out of the carburettor also.

Hi Musketeer4. So I'd need to remove the carburetor to empty petrol from it?

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Musketeer4. So I'd need to remove the carburetor to empty petrol from it?

No, just run the mower until it's out of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

gctest50 wrote: »

That does as it states but I honestly don't think the average domestic lawnmower needs it. How many of us have had mowers for decades (my last one for 32 years) without problems relating to winter storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That does as it states but I honestly don't think the average domestic lawnmower needs it. How many of us have had mowers for decades (my last one for 32 years) without problems relating to winter storage?

I can't count how many mowers I have seen with fuel problems related to modern fuel.
    The stuff you buy now has a percentage of Ethanol added to it by law, what percentage? who knows?
    The problem starts because Ethanol is hygroscopic, it attracts moisture from the air, which means in a climate like Ireland the fuel can quickly become contaminated with water and if you have stripped carbs that have old fuel left in them they are badly corroded and blocked with deposits.
    The typical look is a green slime and/or white corrosion on metal parts and brass jets can get pitted and eaten away.
    This is a fairly recent problem since biofuels became mandatory in fuels.
    You may have gotten away with it for years because fuels didn't have these added until recently.
    4 strokes aren't bad but two strokes really suffer from it.
    Best thing is to drain and fill with alkylate petrol or if you can't do that use some fuel stabiliser to try and mitigate the effects of ethanol.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I can't count how many mowers I have seen with fuel problems related to modern fuel.
    The stuff you buy now has a percentage of Ethanol added to it by law, what percentage? who knows?
    The problem starts because Ethanol is hygroscopic, it attracts moisture from the air, which means in a climate like Ireland the fuel can quickly become contaminated with water and if you have stripped carbs that have old fuel left in them they are badly corroded and blocked with deposits.
    The typical look is a green slime and/or white corrosion on metal parts and brass jets can get pitted and eaten away.
    This is a fairly recent problem since biofuels became mandatory in fuels.
    You may have gotten away with it for years because fuels didn't have these added until recently.
    4 strokes aren't bad but two strokes really suffer from it.
    Best thing is to drain and fill with alkylate petrol or if you can't do that use some fuel stabiliser to try and mitigate the effects of ethanol.

How recent is 'recent'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Storing petrol in a plastic can is ok if its in regular use over summer months but otherwise mental can....u can drain your machines manually for winter storage but I always run machines over winter... Not sure why anyone would want to store 7/8 eur worth of fuel in a plastic can and then head scratch the following spring... + 1 on what CJ said with ethanol....ive never seen so many 2 strokes suffering from carb issues and top ends burning out prematurely....if you have a full tank/can of of mix or straight just use it to warm up your machines over winter....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just tip the old fuel out & then loosen the bolt at the bottom of the carburetor float chamber to drain any remaining fuel. If you leave fuel in then drain the carb & flush fuel through it to remove any moisture that has accumulated over the winter. You don't need to remove the carburetor.

Advertisement