Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barack Obama publishes in the journal of the American Medical Association

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It's a literature review paper in style and composition that's descriptive and not inferential. Its publication in JAMA reminds me of the observations and cautions found in Jacques Derrida (1992) "Between Brackets" in Points, page 29, whereupon he suggests about those who submit manuscripts for publication:

"...the whole complex functioning of the editorial machine: its mechanisms of selection, control, sanctioning, recruitment, internal promotion, elimination, censorship... How can one accept to publish without putting on the published stage the forces, conditions, agents of the editorial machine?"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

So my new strategy for getting high-impact publications:

Step 1: ???
    Step 2: Become US President
    Step 3: Publish in JAMA

Or for those of us with less (more?) lofty ambitions, one could just become a US Senator and publish in the New England Journal of Medicine!

In all seriousness though, I think it's brilliant that politicians are actually paying attention and participating in health/science policy dialogue in a forum normally only used by academia. Again, maybe more relevant in health, but researchers need to engage with stakeholders to get their findings implemented, so fantastic that the important stakeholders are willing and engaged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

To get published, you can be a well known and powerful stakeholder as you say penguin88, or you can adopt what one very successful scholar told me over coffee one day: "Every article has a home." She starts with the top journals in her field, and works down until all her manuscripts have been published. Of course, whenever she gets rejected, she asks for reviewer comments (if not already provided), an does revisions before resubmitting to a new journal. Some of her colleagues have been a bit critical of her approach, but she has an impressive number of peer-reviewed publications on her CV, and has been tenured and promoted at university.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Black Swan wrote: »
    To get published, you can be a well known and powerful stakeholder as you say penguin88, or you can adopt what one very successful scholar told me over coffee one day: "Every article has a home." She starts with the top journals in her field, and works down until all her manuscripts have been published. Of course, whenever she gets rejected, she asks for reviewer comments (if not already provided), an does revisions before resubmitting to a new journal. Some of her colleagues have been a bit critical of her approach, but she has an impressive number of peer-reviewed publications on her CV, and has been tenured and promoted at university.

Very true. I was being tongue-in-cheek with my comment, I'm also a subscriber to the every paper has a home theory. I also think that the impact of one's paper/findings has very little to do with the impact factor of the journal it's published in. A lot can come down to getting your results out there by presenting at meetings/conferences, blogging about them, other forms of social media. Having an effective knowledge translation/exchange/dissemination plan is also hugely important so that even if your paper is in the Journal of Obscure and Irrelevant Science, the message can still get to the key people who are able to take action based on your findings. This is why seeing Elizabeth Warren and Barrack Obama engaged with medical journals is exciting, it helps narrow the gap that needs to be bridged between academic research and health policy.

In recent years one of our past researches was grant funded by NIH, and one of the requirements was to not only publish in a peer-reviewed journal, but also in a non-scholarly publication in common language so that everyone could read and understand our results, which we eventually accomplished. NIH abstracted and linked both publications in one of their reports, and although we researchers could not in the slightest compare with some political celebrity in terms of name recognition, our results were shared with the larger taxpaying audience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement