Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Train to go around Christmas tree

• 18-09-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So last year I spent €50+ on a train and circular track, from Woodies, to go around the living room Christmas tree. It was battery operated and had a lovely 'snowman carriage', a carriage full of 'presents' etc but the to be honest, the track didn't go together very well and it often derailed...

So this year, i want a better train and track. I'm happy with something electric, rather than battery operated but most importantly, need something I won't have to spend every ten seconds getting off the couch to re-rail.

Any recommendation? I'd like it to be a Christmas themed engine/carriage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Homestore and more do one every year it seems to fly off the shelf ! It's normally half price in December too. Also woodies do some lovely Christmas themed trains but i find them very expensive !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Homestore and more do one every year it seems to fly off the shelf ! It's normally half price in December too. Also woodies do some lovely Christmas themed trains but i find them very expensive !

I got the homestore one it's not just the shelf it flies off it all flies off the track :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

What about a Lego one? We've had a motorised one for a few years and I add some Xmas Lego bits to it. This year's official Xmas Lego is a train set but I don't think it has a motor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Loughc wrote: »
    I got the homestore one it's not just the shelf it flies off it all flies off the track :(

Oh no !!! I was hoping to pick one up this year :( poor kids be traumatised watching Santa's train derail night after night hahah :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Oh no !!! I was hoping to pick one up this year :( poor kids be traumatised watching Santa's train derail night after night hahah :pac:

Have used the home store more one and it was fine.
    Just spend a bit of time setting it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Loughc wrote: »

Yep I ended up throwing mine in the bin. Was a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hmmm, interesting, perhaps the woodies one would be a good investment so -how expensive is it? Wouldn't mind having a choo choo train going around the tree:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Hmmm, interesting, perhaps the woodies one would be a good investment so -how expensive is it? Wouldn't mind having a choo choo train going around the tree:D

I love the woodies Christmas stuff but my god is it expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I got a train in Woodies a couple of years ago. It derails, it's loud and the smoke stinks so now it just sits under the tree looking pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I think the lego one might be a good bet, if you are going to be using it for a few years, it might be worth the money. You would have to add the motor which will cost extra. it might come up on offer, but at the moment its quite expensive

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Winter-Holiday-Train-10254?CMP=AFC-AffiliateUK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

A neighbour of mine has one. She bought it on the QVC website. It seems very solid and is really cute. Mind you her dog isn't to impressed with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks all, I bought mine from Woodies last year, it wasn't the cheapest one they had but not the most expensive either. It looked great in the box but is dire.

I saw a Lego one recently but didn't have time to investigate it properly :) will keep an eye out and check out some of the posts on this thread! Basically, I just want one that looks festive and will stay on the damn tracks! My daughter was very excited last year by it until she realized that it couldn't make two complete circuits without derailing. My floor is very flat so that's not the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Thanks all, I bought mine from Woodies last year, it wasn't the cheapest one they had but not the most expensive either. It looked great in the box but is dire.

I saw a Lego one recently but didn't have time to investigate it properly :) will keep an eye out and check out some of the posts on this thread! Basically, I just want one that looks festive and will stay on the damn tracks! My daughter was very excited last year by it until she realized that it couldn't make two complete circuits without derailing. My floor is very flat so that's not the issue.
    Check the Lego forum for discount codes and power details etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The homestore and more one works fine if you don't have a dog and take time to set it up properly. The issue I find is with the tracks and carpet, it just doesn't like to sit properly on the carpet. Works time on wooden floors though
    Ideally I'd get a hornby one, but the homestore one is cheap and cheerful

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't thing I've heard of an electric train going around the base of a tree because it would be very hard to do with the cable unless it was wireless!
    I think I saw one a few years ago that you could attach the train to middle of your tree!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

The lego stuff is dear and I think to get it motorised you have to buy a separate accessory pack adding to the price.

Amazon sell hornby ones for around €50 and they are high quality - but just note, if it is your thing, those hornby ones don't have lights or steam.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I got one from Smyths years ago and they still sell it. It's battery operated but it's got a Christmas theme and does the job without derailing (unless the kids go at it!). Might be an option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Someone bought the Lego one and designed a few extra carriages for it...

http://imgur.com/a/D135p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Delboy5 wrote: »

That is brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

BDJW wrote: »
    That is brilliant :D

Agree, think I'm going to have to copy it...

The instructions are available to buy on Ebay!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love the lego trees. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Delboy5 wrote: »

Have to say that is fairly class, well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Love the Lego train with the extra waggons!

I eventually went with the Hobby, Santa express. It is short with only a couple of waggons but I'm very happy with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

I got a fab train in Dealz for €10....its working perfectly around the Christmas tree

Advertisement