Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exchanging Champagne

• 13-09-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I got engaged recently and received a few bottles of champagne as gifts. Currently they are just lying on a shelf. Since some of them are worth €50 - €60 and we like our wines and beers, I was hoping to exchange 2 or 3 bottles for a nice selection of wines, and possibly a few beers.

Does anyone know of off licences or supermarkets in Dublin willing to exchange without a receipt? I tried Molloys in Blanch but they said not without a receipt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I can't imagine any business doing that for you.
    I'd guess your best bet would be to find one of your friends/family (preferably not one who gifted them!) who likes them to take them off your hand for a discounted sum...

Also Champagne IS wine :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I doubt it. I'd say there'd be food safety implications of taking in stock that hadn't been bought there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

enda1 wrote: »
    I can't imagine any business doing that for you.
    20 odd years ago it was common enough in independent offies, and we would have been dodgy enough looking teenagers, it was not a straight value exchange but we got a good deal swopping for other drink. I doubt any chain store like molloys or obriens would do it, and certainly no major supermarket.

In more recent times the local pub would give us a "loan" of a bottle of spirits and allow us bring one back the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The guys in an O' Briens (I won't say which one) let me do it once with a case of Budweiser though they knew me as a regular buyer of craft beer there so perhaps they were just doing a favour for a regular (and enjoying teasing me for having a case of Budweiser in the first place!).

Probably different with Champagne than cans of beer though...

If you're in that age group where you'll have loads of weddings and engagements coming up in your social circle, just re-gift some of them. Half of what you received were probably re-gifts if your social circle are in that age group where there's another wedding every month or two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

A box of beer would be fine but they're taking a risk with wine as they've no way of knowing how long you've had it and how it's been stored.

Keep it and act the big balls at your next party when you crack out the €60 bottle of bubbly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If you like you're into wines then how come you don't like champagne?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Effects wrote: »
    If you like your wines then how come you don't like champagne?

he never said he doesn't like champagne. Many would not drink it with dinner and also its expensive so sounds like he would prefer to get a few cheaper bottles of wine to the same value. If I got a 60 euro bottle of whiskey I would prefer to swop for a few bottles of cheaper rum or vodka., doesn't mean I don't like whiskey the odd time.

I guess that makes sense. I'd like the idea of drinking champagne that I didn't have to pay for.
    Same way if I got a €60 bottle of whiskey I'd relish drinking it all the more.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

rubadub wrote: »
    he never said he doesn't like champagne. Many would not drink it with dinner and also its expensive so sounds like he would prefer to get a few cheaper bottles of wine to the same value. If I got a 60 euro bottle of whiskey I would prefer to swop for a few bottles of cheaper rum or vodka., doesn't mean I don't like whiskey the odd time.

That's it exactly, for two bottles of champagne I could get a selection of good maybe €20 bottles of wine.

Ah well, it's looking like I'll just have to drink the champagne. Could be a lot worse I suppose.

emco wrote: »
    That's it exactly, for two bottles of champagne I could get a selection of good maybe €20 bottles of wine.

Ah well, it's looking like I'll just have to drink the champagne. Could be a lot worse I suppose.

What Champagne is it? Some people here might be interested in it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Effects wrote: »
    What Champagne is it? Some people here might be interested in it!

No selling allowed in this forum.

Advertisement