Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much is the most you have paid for an item of clothing?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

I wouldn't be worried about a 2000 bag lasting but I'd be worried about it getting lost/robbed! Do you have insurance for it?

It's covered on my home insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Most expensive, probably €300 jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The older I get the less I care about clothes. Now 35 and I'm buying the $20 jeans and $6 tshirts. In regards to the jeans some brands can be shabby but some are perfectly fine. I'm currently in a pair of jeans I bought for $20ish some 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

€350 jacket reduced to €120.. Most expensive I've paid for retail was €180 for a pair of runners. And yes, it does feel like I'm walking on clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

gramar wrote: »
    Can I ask you Andy if you give the money that you don't spend on clothes to people who are starving and homeless?

yes you may ask ...

No :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

£120 pair of strong leather boots (reduced to £80 in a sale!)

I normally buy cheap enough clothes but I do invest in 1 good coat and 1 good pair of boots which will last me several years with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I very rarely pay full price for anything and rarely buy in Ireland. it tends to be part of what I do on holiday. the most expensive item of clothing I have is probably a panzer tank leather coat I bought for €80. When I was wearing in Boston in a vintage clothing shop the owner offered me $2.5k for it. have had it for about 20 years and still wear it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

About 140 for pair of boots years ago when on dole. That felt like way too much at time.

Now i never spend more that 60 or 70 for t-shirts, shirts and jumpers and not more than 100 for shoes, jeans and jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I tried a shirt on in a shop yeeeears ago.

One of those shop names ya cant pronounce without 2 or 3 goes.

It looked well, felt well, fit well and yer one in the shop said I looked great in it......she was well trained!

She said it was on sale and since I already had it on I thought, fcuk it. Sold.

She went behind the counter and hit a few buttons and said "€180 please, down from €250".

Stone faced with no flinching I just handed her my bank card.....all I could hear inside my head was "Ha, she got you good fcukface....fcccccuuuuukkkkk".

Was a lovely shirt though. Ah good times.

Senor Fancy Shirts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

800 on a good suit.
    A man needs a good suit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Generally invest in good pair of boots every now and then for about 150 ...
    My wedding dress cost 650 and in hindsight I'm glad I didn't spend any more on it :rolleyes: :)

I bought a dress for one of my brothers' wedding back in 2004 and paid about 300 I think, but I wore it to a good few other events and weddings after so it was a relatively good investment.

Other than that I spend very little on clothes - tesco / h&m / dunnes would be my staples. Cheap & cheerful :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Probably about 150 euro for my suit. Only ever worn to weddings, interviews and a couple of functions.

Worst value is definitely my stupidly large football jersey collection :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I generally don't buy expensive fashion clothes but a whore for good quality boots and trainers

Earlier this year ...€165 goretex meindl shoes/trainer. Lovely shoes I wear every day .

Last year zamberlan boots €240 fab boots, last pair last me 7 years of wearing everyday walking dogs and mountains.

Would think nothing of paying 50 euros on a good base layer shirt .

Splashed the cash in penney's Friday last and got myself a black plain short sleeve T-Shirt for €3.50 and a pack of 3 Briefs for a fiver :D

Probably the suit for my first proper job interview after university. I was strapped for cash at the time, and my only suit was banjaxed. I was living in London, and went to Hackett's terrifyingly posh townhouse shop on Sloane Street, during the sales.

I found a pretty nice suit-jacket & trousers combo reduced to about £250, which was by-far the cheapest suit in the shop, and also my budget limit. I breezily handed my passcard to the slinky, attractive she-cashier before she even scanned the labels, and tried to look chilled in a way that said, "I don't even care about the price".

She said "£395 please". I gulped. I had assumed the cost of the trousers was included (isn't it always?). Apparently not. £145 (over €200) for a pair of fcuking trousers! I didn't have the heart to say 'I can't afford that', valuing my pride over my student loan, so I swallowed and (luckily), the transaction cleared (thank you Lloyds £20-per-day overdraft).

Even now, I'd find that kind of spending excessive. Most of my clothes are from Gap or similar, and it's very rare spend over €50 on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You don't have to spend a fortune to look nice. Today I had a dress from Asos that was about 16 euro. Boots from pennies that cost 23 euro, a blazer on sale from new look that was 12 euro and tights from pennies that was about 4 euro,

Everyone told me i looked good and it cost less than 55 euro head to toe. I think the most expensive item on me was my underwear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

€360 on a Judo suit :)

Otherwise I'm a Dunnes Stores, Pennys guy. And the few suits I have were bought from Burtons for less than €200.

I've never owned the pair of 501's etc.

I don't mind buying secondhand clothes either.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

380 dollars for my leather jacket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

€400 on a RL coat. Avoid the tat from Penneys and Dunnes like plague. Uniqlo is good for well priced basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

€850 for a suit couple months ago. Suit 8 years before that was €600, thought I was mental but worth it.

Spend maybe €500 a year on clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭black & white

350 on a North Face coat is the most expensive item but it's well worth it to me. On shirts, I wear expensive brands but only bought on a sale, usually a half price one, so have a lot of Penguin, Lacoste and Tommy in the wardrobe. Work chinos are mostly from Debenhams at 30 a pop and jeans are Tommy also usually bought on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I paid €40 for a winter coat last year, probably the most on one item of clothing.

350 on a North Face coat is the most expensive item but it's well worth it to me. On shirts, I wear expensive brands but only bought on a sale, usually a half price one, so have a lot of Penguin, Lacoste and Tommy in the wardrobe. Work chinos are mostly from Debenhams at 30 a pop and jeans are Tommy also usually bought on sale.

I want to be able to afford a North Face coat one day - the Sky reporters wear them when they do outside broadcasts in the winter and they look so comfortable and warm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Had a penchant/addiction for Cp Company goggle jackets/cardigans and well cut jeans and indeed nice clothes in general, lots of people would think i was a bit mad but lots wouldn't, i had a great 20's - mid 30's and felt great because i dressed great (in my eyes). As i got/get older i find i don't buy much clothes and make sure my family/kids are happy. How times change but the odd time i buy something it is quality. Some of my jackets are actually worth more than i paid for them, i look after them well and even have the tags (all uniques serial numbers). Another reason i don't need to buy much clothes is because the ones i bought last, with the exception of a few that just fell to pieces, particularly expensive designer trainers, which i would no longer buy. Anyway, Fcuk penneys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

€100 for a pair jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

About €130 on a coat. That I lost 2 weeks later. I have spent about €120 on jeans and boots...but don't think I've ever gone over €130. Not a huge spender when it comes to clothes. Get lots in sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

I want to be able to afford a North Face coat one day - the Sky reporters wear them when they do outside broadcasts in the winter and they look so comfortable and warm

http://www.adverts.ie/11203573

http://www.adverts.ie/10971017

http://www.adverts.ie/11201680

http://www.adverts.ie/11035633

D0NNELLY wrote: »

Thanks, would never have thought of looking on adverts for clothing... but ah sure why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I cleaned most of my shoes and boots this morning (checking them over to see what needs reheeling for winter) and realised again that I waste a lot more money on cheap stuff than I do on expensive stuff - two pairs of boots that cost around €150 each are entering their fifth and sixth winters, while the pair I spent €20 or less on last November are in the charity shop bag now because they were so, so uncomfortable that I only wore them twice. Apart from a couple of splurges for family weddings etc, I tend to spend more on shoes I'll wear 'every day' and buy cheap ones for occasions. I've got 2 pairs of €200+ dressy shoes now, a navy pair and a black pair, and they'll work with most outfits and last for years.
    A wool Sandwich dress that cost €120 was a fantastic bargain, still looked perfect after 3 years of weekly wear and only got donated because I lost weight so it didn't fit anymore.
    I'd rather spend €10 on a pair of jeans in Penneys than €75 on a pair in Debenhams or similar though, because I just can't see the difference in quality when it comes to the type of jeans I like to wear.
    I don't pay as much attention to the price tag as I do to the fabric composition label - wool, cotton and viscose will wash and age better than polyester and acrylic, regardless of the designer or price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement