Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how much is the most you have paid for an item of clothing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Bargain! :D - should have bought 2 ....

Sure twas the last one Andy.

Ya daft bastard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I've a jacket that cost 475 and a cost that cost 440. They were very unusual purchases for me though, normally I'm decked out in bargain purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

A made to measure suit from Louis Copeland - "lovely bit of smother" - wear it very rarely and will probably be buried in it :D

It kills me to pay more than about €50 for a pair of shoes, but I'll happily hand over multiples of that for cycling or golf shoes :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

$1,000 for a Burberry coat in NY in the late 90s - was after about 50% discount

Paid over €400 for a cycling jacket

Have another cycling jacket that cost around €400 (well 2 of them actually - one red and the other white):p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

250 on a coat in Amsterdam, 220 on designer skate shoes which lasted years. I used to buy a lot of designer jeans for about 200 each. 100 or more on a nice dress. 100 or so on a bag maybe. I don't mind shopping in Penney's either though. Might have a teeney problem with shopping too much :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I very much value quality over quantity and being a strange shape with a very small waist and long legs, I buy more expensive clothes and get them tailored for me.

Over the years, at most I've spent 300 euro on a coat as I tend to buy in sales.

Back in 2008 I bought a suit on sale in French Connection on sale for about 150e, it died this year and I wore that suit every week for those eight years.

I cannot imagine a suit from e.g. Dunnes lasting that time.

Plus I find the fit is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I paid 170 for a pair of hiking shoes two years ago. I've worn then nearly every day since and they still look great.

Besides that, and stuff like suits, I don't really have expensive tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't pay full price for anything, but if I see something quality at a sale price, I might pick it up. TKmaxx bargain rail has been good to me. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

endacl wrote: »
    I don't pay full price for anything, but if I see something quality at a sale price, I might pick it up. TKmaxx bargain rail has been good to me. :)

I'd be the same to be honest, if you looked in my wardrobe you'd see Hobbs/Karen Millen/Armani/Armani Exchange/Jaeger/LK Bennet, but all bought in outlets at very high discounts.

Maybe 60 euro for a pair of trousers, or 150 euro for a suit, or 200 for a coat, but eight years later they are still good as new, while cheap stuff I've bought is long gone to the bin/charity shoip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Kimber Short Rubber

Would you not get fed up wearing the same thing for 8 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think they're male ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Larry SR wrote: »
    Spent a fortune through the years on clothes. First started earning decent money in the Celtic Tiger years so had no problem spending over €200 on a Paul and Shark polo shirt for example.
    More reserved these days but when I do buy 'clobber' I still like to buy well. The only non designer name clothes in my wardrobe are from Marks and Spencer and I rate them highly.

Its very important to look smart while running away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

ED E wrote: »
    I think they're male ;)

No they aren't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have a sports jacket that was $650 but I got it for $350. It fits as if bespoke and looks very well and I don't regret it one bit. Other than that I have a €800 leather jacket but again I paid considerably less for it.

I have way too many clothes tbh, for a fella anyway. But what you gonna do? I just don't wear things out anymore like I did when I was 13 and needed new jeans every 4 months with the rips and holes and everything. Things accumulate and I hate throwing perfectly good things out.

The other day I saw a half arm, half zip golf wind breaker for €200. Looks great, great movement in it and weighs nothing but I just wouldn't. They say its that awesome engineered fabric that you could wear on Mars or so but somehow I'm sure they made it for $2 in Bangladesh all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think a really good coat and shoes/boots are well worth spending money on. You can be wearing rags underneath and still look a million dollars.

I have spent a few hundred euro on coats/handbags but that's about it. After yesterday's drowning I'm off to look up high tech raincoats next. Also worth your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Anyone feel guilty for paying a huge amount on an item of clothing when there are people starving and homeless and in poverty? Just asking like. Or do you just feel guilty for spending a lot after you have bought the expensive item(s) full stop?

Can I ask you Andy if you give the money that you don't spend on clothes to people who are starving and homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

gramar wrote: »
    Can I ask you Andy if you give the money that you don't spend on clothes to people who are starving and homeless?

Not really the analogy he was going for.

Its more you are in such a better position in life financially that you can afford to spend money on these luxuries whereas someone like the OP mentioned would have different priorities.

I'm sure you knew that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

HensVassal wrote: »
    €20,000 on the divorce

LOL ! We're still married by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I think the most I've spent was 350 on a dress, but it was for an event and was gorgeous. Spent 300 on a custom made corset years ago too, which I ended up wearing for about a year (once a week or fortnight)and selling on for 250.

Aside from that, I've spent 100-150 on some dresses and shoes, all of which are still in great condition, 8+ years on.

Generally though, I buy most stuff I own cheap or on sale. My coat was reduced from 140 to 40, favourite shoes reduced from 120 to 36, etc. I don't really spend much on clothes anymore. Penneys finest for dossing around in, sale items of decent stuff for events.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I paid ~€300 for a North Face coat once. But it lasted me almost 10 years (with lots of wear).

I buy rugby jerseys that can be expensive.

Some of my cycling clothing is expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Used pay around €200 for a pair of jeans.
    €50 for the jeans and €150 for the flight to Holland because not 1 shop in Ireland has my size.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Spent €400 on an All Saints leather jacket in Brown Thomas in 2008, still wear it, probably my favourite item of clothing that I ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I've spent more than I want to admit on knee high boots. It's very hard to find a style I like though. I have two pairs, and one pair of ankle boots. I never buy things on a whim and I don't have heaps of stuff that never gets worn. The majority of designer clothing look identical to Penneys items. Plain, boring, basic.

Most of it is formal workwear like suits/skirts/trousers, for variety I have lots of different tops and shoes :)
    ED E wrote: »
    I think they're male ;)

Nope :)

I've a fairly casual lifestyle and live in jeans and casuals mostly, I've just a few going-out dresses and most of my shoes are flat sandals or cons, though I have a few pumps I've paid decent sums for.

The most expensive things I own are all work clothes, though most of the time I'm in jeans in work too. Over the last couple of years, I have bought good quality dresses and jackets, heels, and some suits I wear with white shirts. My jackets would cost upwards of €400, and I'd usually buy in outlets or sales so their original prices would be much higher. I've four shift dresses in various colors I wear with them, averaging about €200 each, four suits I've paid an average of about $250 for, and four pairs of 2-inch heels in black, tan, navy and red that I've bought in sales for about €200 each. Shirts for the suits would be about €60 each. Everything I have that I've paid that much for is not the kind of thing that dates, so I've been wearing them in various combinations - you can mix up all of them for different outfits so I'm not sick of the same thing, and I expect many more years out of them.

I think all those things were worth the money. I spend quite a bit on nice leather bags too, you can see where the money goes on design and quality, and I think you can let down the rest of your appearance with cheap shoes or a cheap bag. Everything still looks new and is wearing well.

Outside of days when I have to dress for meetings or other reasons, I live in Diesel or Seven jeans and cons or boots, and wear band or cartoon t-shirts most of the time. I've a Wonderwoman one on now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Shirts up to about 70 euro, jeans rarely more than 100, coats 200. Cheap clothes are usually poorly cut and uncomfortable, rarely last long and are a false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

With clothes it varies, i wore a top last night that cost €12 in tk maxx, tonight I'm planning on wearing one that cost €85. I wouldn't routinely spend more than 50-100 on tops/knitwear etc. Bags, on the other hand, are more of a long term investment for me. The most I've ever spent on a bag was just under 2k. I have another one that was 1k and about 4 that were around 600. I would consider those dear and they would by no means be regular purchases. Most bags I have would be in the 100-300 range. I thankfully have a decent income and can afford that kinda spending. Those bags will last a long long time - my niece is already eyeing one up as her inheritance, and tbh it might very well outlast me and become a vintage piece, who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

With clothes it varies, i wore a top last night that cost €12 in tk maxx, tonight I'm planning on wearing one that cost €85. I wouldn't routinely spend more than 50-100 on tops/knitwear etc. Bags, on the other hand, are more of a long term investment for me. The most I've ever spent on a bag was just under 2k. I have another one that was 1k and about 4 that were around 600. I would consider those dear and they would by no means be regular purchases. Most bags I have would be in the 100-300 range. I thankfully have a decent income and can afford that kinda spending. Those bags will last a long long time - my niece is already eyeing one up as her inheritance, and tbh it might very well outlast me and become a vintage piece, who knows.

I wouldn't be worried about a 2000 bag lasting but I'd be worried about it getting lost/robbed! Do you have insurance for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I bought a leather jacket about 20 years ago. I think I paid something like €120 for it. I remember it said on the label not to wear it in wet weather. The zip broke on it after a couple of months.

Now I tend to buy jackets that keep me warm and dry but don't cost a fortune. I have a couple of Slazenger jackets that cost about €35 and are great for winter, apart from the fact they have crap hoods that won't stay up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I got them as a birthday gift so didn't spend it myself but a pair of jeans that were €119

Advertisement