Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2016

• 09-08-2016 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I know it's probably a bit early as EP is still 23 days away. Are any long term indicators showing possible postive weather patterns for Sept 2-4th?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Its a bit early.....

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

The weather has never really been terrible at Electric Picnic though. Having been several times, the only thing that seems to change anyway significantly are the underfoot conditions, and even they have been fine apart from one year following an extremely wet summer.

2 or 3 years ago it did get very cold at night-time (possibly as low as 6-7 degrees). But, based on the last number of EPs it seems to be one of the more predictable times of year weather-wise. Not too warm, not too cold. Mostly cloudy with occasional sunny spells, and a chance of rain. Its probably close enough to the last weekend of the year that you'd get away with holding an outdoor festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

1bryan wrote: »
    The weather has never really been terrible at Electric Picnic though. Having been several times, the only thing that seems to change anyway significantly are the underfoot conditions, and even they have been fine apart from one year following an extremely wet summer.

2 or 3 years ago it did get very cold at night-time (possibly as low as 6-7 degrees). But, based on the last number of EPs it seems to be one of the more predictable times of year weather-wise. Not too warm, not too cold. Mostly cloudy with occasional sunny spells, and a chance of rain. Its probably close enough to the last weekend of the year that you'd get away with holding an outdoor festival.

2011 wasn't good at it at all and the Summer that year wasn't extremely wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Are we still to far out?

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Are we still to far out?

Yes but it is looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes but it is looking good.

not quiet....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057638953

The12thMan wrote: »

Again look at my comment in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

MT is predicting a rainy weekend, but how rainy? Some apps are saying 2-4mm on Saturday, but I'm somewhat unclear what kind of day that'd describe - worst case scenario, what would 4mm of rain in an hour look like? Heavy shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The hurricane stuff being posted by news sites etc is click bait nonsense.

At present it looks cool and showery for EP, just how showery is the question and too far out yet to tell.

My WXSIM forecast is based on Tullow which about 40km so might be of interest http://carlowweather.com/wxsimforecast.php

I think the key to preventing a 2009-esque quagmire (although even then, I don't think it was actually Glasto style deep mud) would be the showers to be interrupted with some decent sunshine, let the evaporation soak it up. The rain on Saturday does look rather substantial at the minute, but it is at least confined to a shortish period of time, and if we know about it in advance, it should be easy to shelter from. The problem comes (as in 2009) when the downpour is followed by constant drizzle, and the ground can't recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

the wind should help too....

Latest GFS run looks decent enough. Still has that downpour on Saturday afternoon, but the rest of the weekend is looking reasonably warm and dry.

Actually, now that it's fully updated, the Saturday rainfall is looking considerably less intense. Of course, it'll probably change again and again.

Yep it's subtle changes in our favour at present but sadly loads of time to change yet!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Latest from ME:

A spell of potentially heavy rain on Saturday. A lot of uncertainty with regard to Sunday but further showers or longer spells of rain are possible.

Ya ECM Meteograms for Kilkenny showing around 12mm over 3 hours in a string SW breeze, that would create some muck :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I'd bring a jacket and wellies unfortunately. Wet and breezy for most parts.

ClcDmgw.png?1

I83uMHI.gif?1

RkaSbMU.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Oh dear. So to confirm, by 2pm on Saturday about 10mm of rain will possibly have fallen? And then dry but breezy thereafter, or expect more rain after 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I would advise Electric Picnicers to watch out for thunderstorms this Saturday evening. It is likely to happen well after the main rain band has cleared away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^

might be the best entertainment they'll get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Must be a complete mud bath at this stage:(...Irish weather can be very unforgiving

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭alentejo

I recon this has been the wettest weekend of the so called summer. Very unfortunate.

Advertisement