Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT on a car already in the country

• 06-06-2016 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a car some months back that's undergoing a major restoration right now (full strip down and rebuild).
    However the car was already in Ireland a few years when I bought it;
    The V5C is dated 2005 (not sure if that's relevant). It turned 30 last year.
    Does anyone know if back-payment of VRT to the years it was not registered is required or will I be able to register it as a vintage straight away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gavan134

Just to give you head up I bought a Renault 5gt turbo in Dec 2014 went to pay Vrt as it also was getting some light restro done on it ! Anyway my reciept said I bought it in 2014 wink wink!!! So they backdated it to then 905€ extra my car wasn't on line as its deaned a car that's increasing in value and had to have its Vrt calculated by some chap pull numbers out of the air as a result I had to sell the car to the uk or to someone in the trade as its illegal to trade unregistered car ! I know all this as I've just been in your shoes so when your going to the Vrt make sure your reciept is right !! Wink wink nod nod!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

When the car is over 30 years old, it appears that Revenue are not overly strict with regard to late fines, etc. I've heard of many cases where a car was in the country for some time and only the €200 fee was charged upon registering the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I bought a Mercedes Estate last June, that was in very poor condition. It has been in the country for 10 Years. Got a receipt from the seller, with the V5. I took them, together with my D/L, House hold bill, an official letter with my PPS No. on it, to the NCT centre, paid my E200 and that was it. Got my ZV. Reg No. I am not sure what you mean by the V5 is dated 2005. Is it the date of the last change of owner or the date the car was made?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fpm

Guys, I'm in pretty much the same boat as the people above...

I have bought a 1974 project car from the UK. It needs an engine, much welding, bodywork, etc, etc. Now in theory I should register this within 30 (?) days of it arriving, right? But obviously I can't drive it to a VRT centre. Do I have to:

a) get it transported to a VRT centre, (as far as I know they will only VRT a running vehicle anyway, so even if I did, they wouldn't register it?)
    or can I
    b) wait until the resto is finished (years rather than months!), to VRT it, and if so, will I end up getting fined for the late registration? Judging from the answers above, it would seem I will 'probably' not get late fines, but no actual 'rule' for this situation?

*slightly confused*
    Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

fpm wrote: »

I have bought a 1974 project car from the UK. It needs an engine, much welding, bodywork, etc, etc. Now in theory I should register this within 30 (?) days of it arriving, right? But obviously I can't drive it to a VRT centre. Do I have to:

a) get it transported to a VRT centre, (as far as I know they will only VRT a running vehicle anyway, so even if I did, they wouldn't register it?)
    or can I
    b) wait until the resto is finished (years rather than months!), to VRT it, and if so, will I end up getting fined for the late registration? Judging from the answers above, it would seem I will 'probably' not get late fines, but no actual 'rule' for this situation?

*slightly confused*
    Thanks...

There is a requirement that the vehicle can be driven when presented at the NCT centre. I don't understand why this is the case but it means that you can't register a project that won't move under its own steam.
    I expect someone will pop up here and say they have found this not to be the case, but when I called NCT, that was what they told me. I also have a friend who went to register a UK vintage vehicle. He trailered it to the NCT centre and was asked to drive it off the trailer and back onto it! The machine didn't run so he wasn't permitted to register it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 fpm

Thanks.
    OK...so if I can't register a project that won't run under it's own steam, presumably I can't be fined for not presenting it within the 30days or whatever...?
    Or is this some sort of Irish 'loophole' where you can't do the right thing no matter what you do!?

Thanks.
    OK...so if I can't register a project that won't run under it's own steam, presumably I can't be fined for not presenting it within the 30days or whatever...?
    Or is this some sort of Irish 'loophole' where you can't do the right thing no matter what you do!?

I believe it's the latter. I, myself have a UK registered yoke in bits in the shed for the past 8 years. Fortunately, it's in my name in the UK so I'm not so worried about it. You're supposed to present proof of travel for the machine too, in order to establish when it was imported so that they can work out your fine. To me it seems like a clear case of people not thinking the legislation through or not consulting with the people the legislation would actually be impacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

or can I

*slightly confused*
    Thanks...

I cleared my classic car during the week with no problems, mine was been restored over the last few years and even though it was ready for road 6 months ago I held off until it was 30 years old,

the fact it was been restored never even came into the equation at all,

30 years old & over = 200 Euros unless you get a stickler looking for a ferry tickets etc,

I registered one today. Trailered it to the NCT centre. Was asked to drive it off the trailer and back on again. Wrote on the form that it was brought over last Saturday although the export cert from the DVLA had last November for the date of export. No proof of bringing the car over was requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

pryantcc wrote: »
    I registered one today. Trailered it to the NCT centre. Was asked to drive it off the trailer and back on again. Wrote on the form that it was brought over last Saturday although the export cert from the DVLA had last November for the date of export. No proof of bringing the car over was requested.

You will probably be ok, but I reckon - especially when it concerns vintage vehicles which only incur €200 flat vrt fee - people are better off just declaring when it was brought in. The person at the NCT centre is really just doing the basic checks and getting the paperwork in order. It's the people in the Revenue office where the paperwork is faxed / scanned / posted to who make the decision if fines will be imposed or not.

As I said, you will probably be fine, but if the person in Revenue who is reviewing your case (or any such case) sees last November on the DVLA paperwork and last Saturday on the form, they might think to themselves "does this guy think we are stupid" and decide to look into it further.

I've found that they are generally 'relaxed' when it comes to registering vintage vehicles, but imho I reckon its best to be straight with them from the start. My 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

kop77 wrote: »

or can I

*slightly confused*
    Thanks...

I cleared my classic car during the week with no problems, mine was been restored over the last few years and even though it was ready for road 6 months ago I held off until it was 30 years old,

the fact it was been restored never even came into the equation at all,

30 years old & over = 200 Euros unless you get a stickler looking for a ferry tickets etc,

Didn't they look at the import certificate and easily see that the car has been in the country for many years and at the time of importation it's wasn't 30 years old and charge accordingly?

Maybe it's a case of different VRT centres conducting different intensities of investigations? It might be best to state where it was examined so that other could perhaps go to that same place and get it inspected?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thanks.

The requirement is for any mechanically propelled vehicle to be registered. As yours does not have an engine it is not a mechanically propelled vehicle (which is defined in the law as one capable of propulsion). When you have the engine fitted, you can bring it to NCTS and arrange to have it assessed for VRT and reg'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DEVO F16V

I had a go at the vrt back in2006.bought a 1980 vw van with NI plates on it which had been imported from germany in 1998.they wanted over €5000 to vrt it because according to them it was registered in 98.it went on for a while till i told them i wasn't paying it.settled on €800 after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

So would you risk importing a car that is a couple of years away from 30 years and hold onto it until it turns 30 to vrt it?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

DEVO F16V wrote: »
    I had a go at the vrt back in2006.bought a 1980 vw van with NI plates on it which had been imported from germany in 1998.they wanted over €5000 to vrt it because according to them it was registered in 98.it went on for a while till i told them i wasn't paying it.settled on €800 after.

This is the risk you run, did the guy who imported present it for registration but then decide he couldn't afford the VRT? If he did they know when it came into the country and things start to get awkward. I would ask the Owner to VRT before purchase with the price adjusted accordingly. If he wont, run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Thanks.

I am thinking in these instances best bring log book to VRT and ask for same to be stamped within the time-frame allowed.
    Then when project finished it be just a matter of paperwork and paying whatever duty involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DublinGuy40

Hey all, bumping this thread back again as I am in exactly the same situation, and looking at buying a 1988 car which has been in the country for a few years but is still on UK plates. What docs should I check the seller has? Any advice?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Hi, Dublin Guy, you need to get the V5, which is the U.K. Reg Document, & get a receipt from the present owner. I am assuming that the car is over 30 years old. The VRT will be E200. Ensure the VIN NO. is the same on the car as in the V5, just to make sure it is NOT a Ringer. The N.C.T. office that does the V.R.T. will normally just clear the car, without asking any questions. You will also need a household bill with your address on it, and an official letter with your PPSN number on it. I hope this helps. Good luck with your purchase.

Hi Matt

The car turns 30 on June 1 so I might get the receipt dated after that or something.

Its going to be off the road for a few months anyway getting work done on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement