Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircode and Google Maps Working

• 02-09-2016 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I put in a few Eircodes and they correctly resolved to the right locations.

As of 11.40am today they are working but I wonder if they are testing the feature or it's live?

Weirdly my own incorrectly resolves to another location entirely....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wow, you're right! My house found correctly straight away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

MBSnr wrote: »
    I put in a few Eircodes and they correctly resolved to the right locations.

As of 11.40am today they are working but I wonder if they are testing the feature or it's live?

Weirdly my own incorrectly resolves to another location entirely....

interesting, mine works too, one presumes GPS manufacturers will soon follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

Glad I wasn't going mad....

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

yeah ,mine working too. progress.

Mine works on finder.eircode.ie, but incorrect in Google Maps.. It resolves to another code with the same last 4 digits but in another postal area ... So be interesting to see if you have a non unique last 4 digit code, whether it works... Mine don't.

Teething issues here...

The fecking irony as I was waiting and waiting for this....:eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Mine is right though it shows the wrong street view.

Strange, picking a few random ones from Googling "A98 Bray", some work and some don't, even though they appear to be correct from looking them up on finder.eircode.ie.

Alun wrote: »
    Strange, picking a few random ones from Googling "A98 Bray", some work and some don't, even though they appear to be correct from looking them up on finder.eircode.ie.

Would they have identical last 4 digits by any chance and Google changes the area code in the search tab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

I've tried a few. All good. Well spotted op.

Would they have identical last 4 digits by any chance?
    No, they all begin with A98, that's the only similarity. Seems quite random, nothing to with if it's a private residence, civic amenity or a business, and nothing to do with the position of alphabetical or numeric digits in the last 4 places either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Tried a few as well, and they all worked. Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Excellent news. I'd say it's a silent testing phase, otherwise eircode would be shouting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

It's defiantly in beta I'd say.

It doesn't link to an address yet, I would expect it to display the address attached to the eircode but it doesn't yet. Just points to the location

11j65as.jpg

OK, for one I looked up it said it couldn't find it, but gave 3 other "suggestions" all called "Ireland" :) All 3 had the same last 4 digits, but different first 3, i.e. not A98, but A94, A96 and D14.

On further inspection there seems to be a problem with lookups where either the same eircode is used for multiple addresses at the same location, or one location has multiple eircodes such as Bray Civic Offices.

For example A98 X6N3 fails in Google Maps but returns the following in the eircode finder

INTREO CENTRE BRAY
    CIVIC OFFICES
    MAIN STREET
    BRAY
    CO. WICKLOW

But if you enter Civic Offices, Main Street, Bray into eircode finder you end up with a whole raft of possibilities, all with different eircodes but the same location on the map.

Conversely, A98 YX67 also fails in a Google search, but when entered into the eircode finder returns 3 possible addresses, i.e.

The Eircode entered is associated with the following address and business. Please choose an option below:

UNIT 4, INDUSTRIAL YARNS COMPLEX, DUBLIN ROAD, BRAY, CO. DUBLIN
    EVEREST CYCLES, UNIT 4, INDUSTRIAL YARNS COMPLEX, DUBLIN ROAD, BRAY, CO. DUBLIN
    PIZZARO DEVELOPMENTS LTD., UNIT 4, INDUSTRIAL YARNS COMPLEX, DUBLIN ROAD, BRAY, CO. DUBLIN

again all pointing to the same physical location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

The non-unique Eircodes seem to be a problem to be resolved - they just need to show where the first one is located!

If you are searching for an Eircode in a different routing key area, try leaving the space between the routing key and the unique identifier out.

^^^
    D01 N971 resolves to H65 N971 for me located in Galway. Again it seems to choose the closer location that matches the last 4 digits...

EDIT: Removing the space resolves the problem...

^^^
    D01 N971 resolves to H65 N971 for me located in Galway. Again it seems to choose the closer location that matches the last 4 digits...

EDIT: Removing the space resolves the problem...

Try it without the space? Either way I type H65 N971 it brings me to Galway address

Leaving the space out makes no difference to the two examples I quoted above.

ukoda wrote: »
    Try it without the space? Either way I type H65 N971 it brings me to Galway address

It seems to be based on where the last location is. I searched D01 N971 (with space) when already looking at a location in Dublin and it worked.

Set location back to one in Galway, type D01 N971 (with space), resolves to H65 N971.

They're probs testing this in Dublin and saying 'all working lads'..

It seems to be based on where the last location is. I searched D01 N971 (with space) when already looking at a location in Dublin and it worked.

Set location back to one in Galway, type D01 N971 (with space), resolves to H65 N971.

That's a bit weird, few bugs to be ironed out yet. I'm assuming that's why we haven't had the official nod that it's supported yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

Alun wrote: »
    Leaving the space out makes no difference to the two examples I quoted above.

Probably because at least two entries in the register have the same Eircode.

There's defiantly an issue with the spaces. I just had the same problem, the eircode I entered changed the routing key to the unique indentifier that's closer to me. But removing the space gets me the right location

There's defiantly an issue with the spaces. I just had the same problem, the eircode I entered changed the routing key to the unique indentifier that's closer to me. But removing the space gets me the right location

If I search for my code (with or without spaces) with the map focused anywhere outside of Galway, it fails to find it at all. If I focus the map on Galway it finds another incorrect location in H91 using the last 4 digits of my code. My code doesn't begin with H91, so this was pure chance that I'm in Galway now and there's a duplicate code with the same 4 digits close by.

So there's at least two issues.
    Space in the Eircode is a problem.
    The lookup algorithm seems to ignore the routing code if the same 4 digits exist close to or in the area on screen (in focus).

If I search for my code (with or without spaces) with the map focused anywhere outside of Galway, it fails to find it at all. If I focus the map on Galway it finds another incorrect location in H91 using the last 4 digits of my code. My code doesn't begin with H91, so this was pure chance that I'm in Galway now and there's a duplicate code with the same 4 digits close by.

So there's at least two issues.
    Space in the Eircode is a problem.
    The lookup algorithm seems to ignore the routing code if the same 4 digits exist close to or in the area on screen (in focus).

Yes they need to tweak the algorithm to check routing key if a unique identifier for eircode data is found. Should be a simple enough fix, Google are pretty speedy are rectifying issues.

I'm just going to leave this here...

Just shows how credible these guys are

Source: http://getlosteircodes.com/?p=197

"WHY GOOGLE CANT LEGALLY USE EIRCODE"

"Why No Google Support for Eircode?

It is almost 17 months since those behind Eircode claimed impending Google Maps support for the postcode in an Oireachtas hearing. Former Minister Alex White again claimed Google support “within weeks” in January 2016 but it has never happened.

Why have Google & SatNav manufacturers not supported Eircode?

Aside from the fact that Eircode has many design limitations which mean it is not in demand, Google & others simply cannot implement Eircode because Irish postcode legislation prevents them from doing so. Under the legislation, associating personalised data with Eircode in a public database without the consent of the person concerned, would not be “legitimate postcode activity”. As Google presents personalised data in the form of property related imagery (and more), it simply cannot add Eircode under the law! If it did, the combination of Eircode and its imagery could even tell the world what car(s) or waste management preferences you have, or even whether you were against water charges or not. All of this personalised data can easily be associated with your name, sex and age using the same Eircode link in the readily accessible Register of Electors. This would leave you even more open to direct marketing and junk mail than ever before. As well as that, since Eircode is being promoted for insurance and credit histories, it does not take much imagination to understand how Eircode on Google maps with its imagery could seriously compromise your financial privacy.

This is why the postcode legislation precludes Google and others in the mapping and navigation industries from supporting Eircode.

The only way to change this would be to amend the legislation!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

^ he denies it but I think its the guy who runs eircode (he was banned from here as garydubh).

I called them out on a promo they ran a couple of years back where "Norn Iron Man" took a Loc8 vacation around ireland. Jesus it was horrible ****ty photoshop all over the place (literally) as he put the loc8 logo on Ironman and then put ironman into images of Ireland.

Asked had he secured the licence rights for the character and then it was gone.

Anyway I digress. I use googlemaps daily and sometimes have an eircode if google doesn't have the address through address pal but this will be a great improvement

Yes they need to tweak the algorithm to check routing key if a unique identifier for eircode data is found. Should be a simple enough fix, Google are pretty speedy are rectifying issues.

Hmm speedy alright. My code now works!

D01 N971 now resolves to H54 N971 from a map focus on Mayo...

EDIT : Also now works for setting the location of Home in My Places! No more living in the middle of a townland... ;-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The constant claims of "oh, we've nothing to do with Loc8" are the most ridiculous bit

Concatenating a lat/long to a code is not a post code, lads. Time to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JOhnty78

Good stuff!

On a slightly related basis Laois County Council have a Loc8 code on their website and no Eircode. :/

• Advertisement

D01 N971 now resolves to H54 N971 from a map focus on Mayo...
    Are you trying to say that's a good thing, because it doesn't seem that way to me. If I'm in Dublin and want to navigate to your house, why should I first have to focus my map on Mayo, assuming I even knew you lived in Mayo, to be able to look up the eircode, or am I missing something?

Advertisement