Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liam Gallagher is back - solo deal with Warners confirmed

• 26-08-2016 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

http://www.nme.com/news/liam-gallagher/95948

Liam Gallagher has signed a solo deal with Warners to release a solo album in 2017. Previously he said he wouldn't, but there's no confirmation whether it'll be billed as "Liam Gallagher" or some other name, like a band name.

According to the recent Q cover article, his new music doesn't sound like Oasis or Beady Eye, which will be interesting - I always felt that Liam's songs had just two settings: "like John Lennon" and "a lot like John Lennon".

There were parts of BE that I really liked, but a lot of that was down to the production. He voice was in rag order. He definitely lost his voice and was on a downward spiral since about 2005, which he's yet to display a recovery from. It can sound alright in the studio, but live it's awful. Even Noel said it recently, that Liam would just be shouting instead of singing. Funnily enough, that's the first time Noel ever acknowledged issues with Liam's voice.

Saying that, I'd be interested in a LG solo album, billed as that, as it could be anything - no rock n' roll band poses to hide behind. He could actually have some good songs; some of the more acoustic extra tracks from BE were way better than the "rock" tunes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'd be much more interested in a Noel Gallagher solo album...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

And the award for most insignificant music news story of the year goes to...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'd be much more interested in a Noel Gallagher solo album...

He's got two already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I'd be interested in a Liam Gallagher solo album consisting of nothing but silence. Like a conceptual art piece, taking John Cage's 4'33 beyond its logical conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

im struggling to understand how LG is either alternative or indie

• Advertisement

Tough crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Tough crowd.

Exactly what Liam said after every Beady Eye gig

Exactly what Liam said after every Beady Eye gig

Not the one I was at, in the Olympia - it was like a hero's return. Went down a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And the award for most insignificant music news story of the year goes to...

Me!

I broke a string last night. Replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭jones

Not the one I was at, in the Olympia - it was like a hero's return. Went down a storm.

I was at that gig aswell it was excellent!

Liam's voice has definitely taken a battering with time...very like Ian Brown in that regard.

• Advertisement

^ Agree, but Ian Brown's was never strong - even 1989 footage shows him off key. In fact, on the most recent tour he was more in key than I've ever heard him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I was trying to make a joke and probably failing, I'm not a fan of his stuff but each to their own. But i do think it was cringy how much he was trying to be like Beatles\John Lennon

i do think it was cringy how much he was trying to be like Beatles\John Lennon

I agree, some of his stuff like "Born On a Different Cloud" was SO John Lennon-y, he'd be sued if it came out these days (see: Blurred Lines case).

I'm hoping he'll do something a little different on his solo stuff; Noel didn't exactly stretch that far but he's done some good tracks on his two albums.

The best thing about Beady Eye breaking up is that we got Ride back. Though I think one of the causes of BE splitting was because Andy Bell wanted to do stuff with Ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Liam couldn't sing properly from about 2002 onwards. Generally at the start of a tour he was alright then f-ed by the end of it. I remember Noel summing it up by saying Liam has a better voice but he is a better singer.

The songs he has wrote. Born on a Different Cloud was top class, For Anyone and Songbird were great in their simplicity. Looking at everything else he has contributed to Oasis and Beady Eye he is going to have to increase his output a lot; Soul Love, Bring the Light, Morning Son, The Meaning of Soul, Pass Me Down the Wine, Better Man, God Thinks I'm Abel, I'm Out of Time, Soldier On, Ain't Got Nothin, Man of Misery, Boy With the Blues, I Believe in All, Little James, Love Like a Bomb, Two of a Kind some of it is decent and some of it is s**t.

It must bug Liam to see that ex Oasis and Beady Eye drummer Chris Sharrock is with the High Flying Birds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭mosstin

Seriously, fuck off Liam.

mosstin wrote: »
    Seriously, fuck off Liam.

Why bother posting that?

Any on topic, the main problem with Liam's songs are his lyrics. If you listen to something like "I Believe In All" it's just cliche after cliche. Ok, it's probably not a great example but I think he does need a lyricist.

In terms of my favourite songs of his, I've always liked "Soldier On". It's a nice downbeat ending to that album, and also I think "The Boy With The Blues" was a good one too.

Why bother posting that?

Any on topic, the main problem with Liam's songs are his lyrics. If you listen to something like "I Believe In All" it's just cliche after cliche. Ok, it's probably not a great example but I think he does need a lyricist.

In terms of my favourite songs of his, I've always liked "Soldier On". It's a nice downbeat ending to that album, and also I think "The Boy With The Blues" was a good one too.

Why?

How many reasons do you need?

He existed solely because of Oasis capturing the zeitgeist when they did. Decent singer in a band that were greater than the sum of their parts. As soon as Oasis ceased to exist, there was - and is - nothing that Liam Gallagher can add musically or otherwise to popular music. He's a busted flush waiting for the inevitable 'cash in your chips' call from his more talented brother.

Why?

He existed solely because of Oasis capturing the zeitgeist when they did. Decent singer in a band that were greater than the sum of their parts. As soon as Oasis ceased to exist, there was - and is - nothing that Liam Gallagher can add musically or otherwise to popular music. He's a busted flush waiting for the inevitable 'cash in your chips' call from his more talented brother.

Maybe leave the thread for people who do want to talk about his music then.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Why?

Well his target market will obviously be Oasis fans - most of which made up the BE fan base - so I don't think his album will be aimed towards the masses. It'll still sell well from the Oasis fan base and I can see him doing stints in Olympia sized venues, so there's money to be made for himself and Warners.

Is he going to revolutionise music? Not in the slightest, but what else is he going to do with his time other than make/rip-off music? Become a plumber? Flog fish? These could be interesting and entertaining options, if a film crew followed such a career move.

Personally, I can see why people don't like him; he's not a fantastic singer, poor lyricist and not a renowned musician. I like him though and prefer the idea of a poor Liam Gallagher album, than no Liam Gallagher album at all - though, of course, I'll reserve judgement on his capabilities as a solo performer until the album's released.

Also, people tend to use the massively-stating-the-f**kin'-obvious fact "Noel is the more talented brother" as a stick to beat Liam. Not exactly his fault that his brother wrote two of the biggest-selling album of the 90s and has carved a successful solo career. To put it in footballing terms, just because Gary Neville became captain of (successful) Manchester United, doesn't mean his brother Phil Neville had anything to be ashamed of playing for (not quite as successful) Everton.

Pete Moss wrote: »
    he's not a fantastic singer.

It's such a shame as he used to be a fantastic singer, at least on the first two albums and leading into the third. By the fourth it was all over as he wasn't taking care of his voice at all. His singing style meant he destroyed what he had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

It's such a shame as he used to be a fantastic singer, at least on the first two albums and leading into the third. By the fourth it was all over as he wasn't taking care of his voice at all. His singing style meant he destroyed what he had.

To be honest, I never really thought he was a fantastic singer, but he had a great voice, if you get me?
    As in, he was never a technically gifted singer, but he had a great attitude, delivery and presence in his voice - similar to someone like Iggy Pop or Johnny Rotten. To me, that's where he surpassed Noel vocally, even though Noel would be the better singer of the two, IMO. Liam could hit some high, falsetto notes in the studio though, e.g the chorus in "She's Electric".

Well his target market will obviously be Oasis fans - most of which made up the BE fan base - so I don't think his album will be aimed towards the masses. It'll still sell well from the Oasis fan base and I can see him doing stints in Olympia sized venues, so there's money to be made for himself and Warners.

Is he going to revolutionise music? Not in the slightest, but what else is he going to do with his time other than make/rip-off music? Become a plumber? Flog fish? These could be interesting and entertaining options, if a film crew followed such a career move.

Personally, I can see why people don't like him; he's not a fantastic singer, poor lyricist and not a renowned musician. I like him though and prefer the idea of a poor Liam Gallagher album, than no Liam Gallagher album at all - though, of course, I'll reserve judgement on his capabilities as a solo performer until the album's released.

Also, people tend to use the massively-stating-the-f**kin'-obvious fact "Noel is the more talented brother" as a stick to beat Liam. Not exactly his fault that his brother wrote two of the biggest-selling album of the 90s and has carved a successful solo career. To put it in footballing terms, just because Gary Neville became captain of (successful) Manchester United, doesn't mean his brother Phil Neville had anything to be ashamed of playing for (not quite as successful) Everton.

If it's any consolation, I hate both Nevilles equally.

Maybe leave the thread for people who do want to talk about his music then.

Hark at Farmer Palmer here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Can we leave the petty squabbles out of it, and keep it on topic please.

To be honest, I never really thought he was a fantastic singer, but he had a great voice, if you get me?
    As in, he was never a technically gifted singer, but he had a great attitude, delivery and presence in his voice - similar to someone like Iggy Pop or Johnny Rotten. To me, that's where he surpassed Noel vocally, even though Noel would be the better singer of the two, IMO. Liam could hit some high, falsetto notes in the studio though, e.g the chorus in "She's Electric".

Agree with you - he had a great voice, rather than being a technically good singer. He just belted it out but if had more savvy he would've tried to take care of his voice more. But you can tell that doing something as un-rock n' roll as that wasn't going to fly! :rolleyes:

Not sure he'll every get that first album clarity back - years of smoking will have done untold damage. I know there's operations you can have but I doubt they'll do him any good.

Singers should never smoke. Another singer (as an example) who used to have a high, clear voice was JK from Jamiroquai, but now his voice is husky and cracks a lot, from smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

One of THE great rock and roll voices of all time when he was at his peak vocally if you ask me. There's technically great singers, like Freddie Mercury or Roy Orbison and then there's great deliverers of songs, like Johnny Rotten, Liam Gallagher and Bob Dylan who wouldn't be great singers in the truest sense of the word but whom made the songs what they were in terms of how they sung them.

When Liam was singing at the peak of his powers his voice was so raw every word rang through.

Back on topic his voice has been very hard to listen bar in the studio for nearly 15 years. I'd be interested in his solo output as in studio he can pull it off but from what I saw of BE the live performances were just him shouting and straining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The last thing I heard from him was that Second Bite of the Apple single with Beady Eye and it was pretty terrible. If that was his voice sounding good in the studio, I'd hate to hear what it sounds like live when it's bad. I can't see him doing any better solo than he did with Beady Eye. His schtick is well past its sell by date.

The last thing I heard from him was that Second Bite of the Apple single with Beady Eye and it was pretty terrible. If that was his voice sounding good in the studio, I'd hate to hear what it sounds like live when it's bad. I can't see him doing any better solo than he did with Beady Eye. His schtick is well past its sell by date.

Yeah the vocals on that album were generally awful. The were best on some of the softer songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Album has leaked and it has some great stuff on it. Roll on Friday so I can have it in my hands!

• Advertisement

• well, that album was a hell of a lot better then I ever could have expected it to be.

Advertisement