Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

Bumski wrote: »
    I'll end up with a total cost of €11,500 incl VRT, ferry, mechanic test, flights etc. (assuming all goes well at the NCT next week with no unpleasant surprises).

It's hard to match exactly what the cost would be here as the more limited market means that it's hard to find an exact match for spec, mileage and price on any given model. Currently there is only one car for listed on carzone that matches make, model, mileage and year. It's a lower spec than the one I bought (and it's also a UK import but being sold by an Irish dealer). It's priced at €14,995. Mine has satnav, full phone integration and privacy glass above the model for sale in Ireland.

OP, you mention that your car has privacy glass which I see online that a lot of newer UK cars have.

Had you any issues with the privacy glass when having the car NCT'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

Chiparus wrote: »
    With the UK leaving the EU, do you think they will be adding VAT and customs duty to the price of cars imported from the UK?
    I recon that will be about 30% on top of VRT.

That's all probably better addressed in a new thread and it's hard to predict but what might happen in that scenario is that the VAT might be claimed back in the UK and then paid here. It would be extra hassle.

I think under GATT that there are limits to tariffs. Beyond that, I'd leave speculation to the experts.

OP, you mention that your car has privacy glass which I see online that a lot of newer UK cars have.

Had you any issues with the privacy glass when having the car NCT'd.

No issues in Enniscorthy on Tuesday. Car passed first time with no rechecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

Bumski wrote: »
    No issues in Enniscorthy on Tuesday. Car passed first time with no rechecks.

Thanks for the info. Best of luck with the new purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Apologies in advance, I'm reviving a thread.

For the VRT, proof of address examples it says Revenue.
    Is that any type of letter from revenue is acceptable?

I don't particularly want to show a bank statement to a complete stranger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Panthro wrote: »
    Apologies in advance, I'm reviving a thread.

For the VRT, proof of address examples it says Revenue.
    Is that any type of letter from revenue is acceptable?

I don't particularly want to show a bank statement to a complete stranger!

Proof of address accepted are listed on the VRT site under FAQs. When I done it recently they wouldn't accept a revenue letter that they'd sent me the day before... Ended up getting a Esb bill which they took no problem.

I think the issue is that the person dealing with you is not a revenue employed person and has a list of what they can and cant accept.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I used a P60, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

This is a brilliant thread. I am looking to get a new car and it seems logical to buy in the UK at the moment.
    8 Organised a comprehensive car inspection using Dekra (£125) This inspection also includes a full HPI. Adverse findings are advised orally but the full results of the check are not included in the report

10 Received car inspection report and phone the engineer to get his non written general opinion

I am a bit confused about the inspections. Are these done by the AA engineer?

This is a brilliant thread. I am looking to get a new car and it seems logical to buy in the UK at the moment.

I am a bit confused about the inspections. Are these done by the AA engineer?

Hi Moo Moo Land,

Possibilities for inspection include UK car inspections, the RAC, Dekra, my car inspections and doubtless several others.

I'm not sure exactly how the inspectors are employed by these companies. The guy that Dekra sent to do my inspection was a member of the Institute of the Motor Industry. I don't know if he's a direct employee or a freelancer that they call on.

He did send a fairly comprehensive pdf report by email (including detailed photos) and was available to have a chat by phone. I think that the reports are good but the companies cover themselves with a lot of caveats in writing. The verbal report might allow for more latitude in terms of what the inspector might tell you.

Others on here might know better exactly how the companies employ their inspectors. Also, the posters that contribute to the definitive guide on importing from the UK thread have a wealth of knowledge on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

As I understand it, the AA used to have their own full-time inspectors but now sub-contract the work to DEKRA.
    So you will get the same inspector whether you use the AA or DEKRA.

I have had two £125 "Peace of Mind" DEKRA inspections performed in the last 2 weeks and both were well worth the money.
    Although this check is not supposed to cover a lot of cosmetic checks, it still did highlight obvious items such as small chips, holes in carpet etc.

If buying under manufacturers warranty it may not be necessary to pay for a check as the big ticket items will be covered in the short-term.
    However, it can highlight where a car appears to have wear and tear beyond what the car's age would suggest.
    Also, the warranty won't cover wear and tear items such as worn tyres/brake pads/discs etc. Garages will normally resolve these issues if highlighted to them before completing the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

Good Thread people. I'm planning on importing next week and have a question for those who have done the same. I'm planning on buying the car for my wife who will be the registered owner and importer. I will be travelling to the Uk to collect it however the garage there (a supermarket, unfortunately) will only issue the invoice in my name. Do the VRT people care about this or are they just looking for the purchase details and the name is irrelevent?

Not trying to circumvent any rules or anything, it's just a practicallity thing..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Moe1013 wrote: »
    Good Thread people. I'm planning on importing next week and have a question for those who have done the same. I'm planning on buying the car for my wife who will be the registered owner and importer. I will be travelling to the Uk to collect it however the garage there (a supermarket, unfortunately) will only issue the invoice in my name. Do the VRT people care about this or are they just looking for the purchase details and the name is irrelevent?

Not trying to circumvent any rules or anything, it's just a practicallity thing..

Hmm, I'm not sure. It's probably best to ring them and ask. They scan your documentation in the VRT office. I don't know if the staff check if everything matches up there and then, or if that's done later. My invoice, etc, was all in my name, so I can't help directly. Assuming you've the VRT appointment booked, do you have your VRTVPD2 form? Hope your trip goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

People have written their own invoice and it was accepted. Not saying you should do this....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Hmm, I'm not sure. It's probably best to ring them and ask. They scan your documentation in the VRT office. I don't know if the staff check if everything matches up there and then, or if that's done later. My invoice, etc, was all in my name, so I can't help directly. Assuming you've the VRT appointment booked, do you have your VRTVPD2 form? Hope your trip goes well.

Doesn't really make much of a difference. If your worried about it just get it in both your names ie. Mary and Joe Bloggs. The reciept as I take it is a proof of when you bought it. When I was clearing my own car a few months ago, the lad in front of me didn't have one and was writing up a receipt in front of the woman who was processing the paperwork!!

Once everything else matches up, you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I will be travelling to the Uk to collect it however the garage there (a supermarket, unfortunately) will only issue the invoice in my name.

Why is a supermarket unfortunate? Do you mean massive car dealers?

I've only started looking online but how do I know the 'good' dealers from the 'dodgy' ones?

Do you guys tend to look for dealers closer to Hollyhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

As a matter of interest, how do the inspections work? Do they come along with you when you go and view the car, do you tell the dealer you want to buy it but you want the AA to check it first?

I'm just wondering how dealers would handle something like that, I assume a reputable dealer who knows they're selling an honest, solid car will be fine with it, I'm looking at purchasing something myself soon enough and although I know a lot about cars and what to look out for, I'd still value getting an independent opinion when I do make the plunge (I live in the UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

You let the dealer know that you would be getting an inspection done and that he should tell you of any problems now.
    You then agree a price and put a small deposit down subject to the inspection not showing any new issues.
    Then you book the inspector and he arranges the inspection directly with the dealer (normally 1-2 days later).
    The inspector sends you a report and calls you with a verbal follow-up. They are generally much more open on the call than in the report.

I guess you could arrange to go along with the inspector if you like. I think it takes nearly 2 hours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just brought in a car and invoice was in my name but the car was for the wife, VRT crowd at the NCT centre didn't blink an eye and car registered in her name now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gaillimh

OP - thanks for that very detailed list of steps. Just curious as to what the warranty situation was on the car you purchased.
    Did you purchase without any warranty? If so - did you get much if any discount for this?

I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 car with a UK dealer (not a main dealer) but just a bit worried about the whole warranty situation as obviously would not be able to bring it back over if something were to go wrong.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the warranty is not transferable then it's useless to you here, however it's a valuable negotiating tool on the price of the car. Once the car is checked over and given the thumbs up then you need to make it clear to the dealer that he will never see you again so want his lowest drive away price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

Doesn't really make much of a difference. If your worried about it just get it in both your names ie. Mary and Joe Bloggs. The reciept as I take it is a proof of when you bought it. When I was clearing my own car a few months ago, the lad in front of me didn't have one and was writing up a receipt in front of the woman who was processing the paperwork!!

Once everything else matches up, you'll be fine.

I'm such a duh, thanks for that. Such a simple solution too. Saved us a fair bit of hassle. Glad to hear the current process is more user friendly than the revenue years ago.. They were some B*******s!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

Just bought a 131 Sportage from NI and have VRT booked in for two weeks time,
    The V5C form is filled out with my details and the vrt booked in my name,can I change it to my wife's details as all bills and stuff are in her name as I work abroad so have nothing in my name with my address?

Any help would be appreciated.also OP did u find the calculation for vrt online to very from when they actually looked at the car as I see u have a top spec?just wondering if my calculation price will go up as I have a sunroof and panoramic roof and leather?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik extras are only considered if the car is under 4 years old.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

Esel wrote: »
    Afaik extras are only considered if the car is under 4 years old.

So I'll be stung for sunroof and semi leather seats as mines a 131

They depreciate the cost of the extras over the first 4 years. So you will be charged VRT based on 25% of the original value of those factory extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭b.gud

Is there any way to figure out if your car had extras? I'm getting Vrt done on Friday and afaik the car doesn't have any extras but would like to know to avoid any nasty surprises

Look up the spec of similar cars on the likes of parkers.co.uk. What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭b.gud

bazz26 wrote: »
    Look up the spec of similar cars on the likes of parkers.co.uk. What car is it?

Lexus ct200h advance

Edit* Looks like I have the following additional specs

CD
    Folding rear seats
    Leather seat trim
    Metallic Paint

I wonder how much that'll end up costing me

The leather is probably all they will be interested in assuming the car is younger than 4 years. The rest are not extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Great post OP...I have been over a couple of time. Just everyone be aware it's not all Rosey when you get there....my last time, I was told there was a V5C for the car by the salesman in small car dealer I was buying from, when I got there on a Saturday afternoon there was no paperwork for the car, the boss then gave me an explanation, basically it was in the DVLA. So there i was standing in a dealers in Halifax on a Saturday afternoon, the car I wanted was in front of me at a good price, I had two choices, take a chance, or try to make my way home on a Saturday afternoon also trying to get my £200 holding deposit back could be fun, so........I took a chance and paid for the car and headed for the boat. It took a few emails and phone calls to get it sorted, it all worked out in the end, it did put over the 30 days I had to vrt the car, but luckily no fine or back payments when I did finally get to 'clear' the car!!!
    That's my little story, I know a guy that arrived home with a car from a dealer In London, to his horror when it was not running right he brought it to the main dealer, it had black tape over a warning light and let's just say the cars mileage did not match the digital service record of the car, he rang the dealer in London, he got a load of profanity shouted at him down the phone and they hung up... He still has the car, but it's only worth a shadow of what he paid for it.
    There are pitfalls so beware....
    Anyone else had 'an experience'?

Advertisement