Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Hb6g6

I'm a big fan of both companies in general, but Iron Man took nearly 4 times its budget. That's a humongous return on investment compared to the DC films, and when it comes to funding, that's what counts, and if questions are being asked in Warner that's what they will be focused on.

That said the immediate follow up for marvel- Hulk- did nothing like that, and people weren't up in arms, so your point still stands :)

I also agree fanboyism is getting kinda tired. I just want excellent films featuring these characters I've loved since I was young!

Iron man from 2008 returned 4 times its production budget but that does not include marketing cost so its unclear how much profit the film really made.

It wasn't until Avengers that Marvel started to kick off to the amazing heights the franchise has reached.

Marvel is 8 years and 13 films deep into the marvel franchise while DC is only beginning. Fans have to stop treating it has a competition between both companies and fighting with one another and be happy that we have so many movies that are dedicated to both franchises

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hb6g6 wrote: »
    Iron man from 2008 returned 4 times its production budget but that does not include marketing cost so its unclear how much profit the film really made.

It wasn't until Avengers that Marvel started to kick off to the amazing heights the franchise has reached.

Marvel is 8 years and 13 films deep into the marvel franchise while DC is only beginning. Fans have to stop treating it has a competition between both companies and fighting with one another and be happy that we have so many movies that are dedicated to both franchises

Nah, sorry. That's the equivalent of "just turn your brain off".

I think BvS is very boring: I will not just be happy it's there.

This does not mean I wish to gloat like a Marvel fanboy: I want my DC films to be successful, to propagate and continue, and most importantly, to be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This does not mean I wish to gloat like a Marvel fanboy: I want my DC films to be successful, to propagate and continue, and most importantly, to be good :)

Agreed. I'd much rather the Batman V Superman we got was better than just be happy we got one at all, because it's worse when it doesn't live up to (realistic) expectations.

All I'm saying is when fans talk about how much a Marvel movie makes in comparison to a DC movie the comparison isn't really fair as Marvel has had 8 years and 13 movies to build up its audience.

I haven't said anything about the quality of either franchise's movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Hb6g6 wrote: »
    All I'm saying is when fans talk about how much a Marvel movie makes in comparison to a DC movie the comparison isn't really fair as Marvel has had 8 years and 13 movies to build up its audience.

I haven't said anything about the quality of either franchise's movies

That doesn't hold up too well for me tbh. Marvel have laid a solid groundwork that DC should be able to capitalise on. And they have been, to an extent. The popularity of superhero movies (Marvel & otherwise) has led to DCEU movies having huge opening weekends. Their lack of quality has led to huge drop-offs.

Marvel has certainly had loads of time to build their world but that doesn't mean DC has to 'catch up' with their world-building. That's a logical fallacy that WB has fallen into and it's the exact thinking that's preventing them from putting out solid standalone works.

• Advertisement

That doesn't hold up too well for me tbh. Marvel have laid a solid groundwork that DC should be able to capitalise on. And they have been, to an extent. The popularity of superhero movies (Marvel & otherwise) has led to DCEU movies having huge opening weekends. Their lack of quality has led to huge drop-offs.

Marvel has certainly had loads of time to build their world but that doesn't mean DC has to 'catch up' with their world-building. That's a logical fallacy that WB has fallen into and it's the exact thinking that's preventing them from putting out solid standalone works.

Yeah, I think DC movies should simply be concentrating on making good movies right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Suicide Squad has topped the box office 3 weekends in a row and last I checked, is on course for 650 million worldwide.

"Huge drop offs" or not that's a brilliant achievement all things considered (secondary characters as the stars, critically eviscerated, accusations of sexism, an actor breaking ranks, etc.....). Surpassing a billion or getting close to it seems to be the tentpole decided by many people and that is crazy to me.

How many blockbusters are going to break that number or get anywhere near it? According to Google, BvS' BO take was 872m in US Dollars, but you'd have people actually arguing that's a failure. It's only a failure in comparison to WB's own lofty hopes. In all other considerations it's a resounding success.

It's actually funny because imagine what an actually well received WB/DC film could make if critical flops like BvS and SS are taking in that much money.

In fairness, SS had practically no competition in August. It made a shîtload of money but had a huge budget, which lessened to actual profit - now that's only a problem for WB and I'm not using that to diminish the amount it's made. What I'm saying is Suicide Squad didn't need a budget nearly as big as it got. I think it would have been better off with a smaller budget. I also agree that the financial expectations on movies in general, but particularly superhero movies, is out of line.

Some things that WB is actually gonna do well out of, against all odds, is the order/timing of the movies:

Man of Steel - a Superman movie that looked badass
    BvS - it had Batman AND Superman. Couldn't fail, financially
    Suicide Squad - no competition in the box office
    Wonder Woman - first female fronted superhero movie in decades (Catwoman is too shît to count) so it WILL be a success
    Justice League - more Batman and will get extra steam from the success of WW

They could and should have done it better but those things aligned reasonably well for them.

Do people generally agree the reviews of SS were far too harsh? I genuinely did enjoy it far more than the other two DC films despite it having problems.

I really like the idea of Affleck being this big deus ex batima that shows up briefly in other films like the big scary, almost mythical figure the character is supposed to behave like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I liked a lot of Suicide Squad... The baddie was a supreme let down, as was the final edit, as some of the Joker/Harley scenes disappeared and made the film a little disjointed... especially her about turn to help the team at the end..
    But mostly I thought the film let itself down with the baddie, the baddie's brother... that gyrating mess of uselessness had me rolling my eyes.. And DC are known for having decent bad guys...

• Advertisement

Do people generally agree the reviews of SS were far too harsh? I genuinely did enjoy it far more than the other two DC films despite it having problems.

I really like the idea of Affleck being this big deus ex batima that shows up briefly in other films like the big scary, almost mythical figure the character is supposed to behave like.

I watched it without knowing any of the reviews and I really liked it, I thought it was a very enjoyable movie, better than most tentpole films I've seen this year. The reviews shocked the hell out of me because the movie I saw wasn't a bad movie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You can argue the value of hyperbole 'til the early hours & how OTT reviews went, but I agreed with their base assessment; that the movie was a total mess & felt like a after-the-fact patch job on a completely different film, by people who didn't know what they were doing. It was a bit more enjoyable than BvS sure, but that was a terrible film applying different metrics of terribleness.

pixelburp wrote: »
    You can argue the value of hyperbole 'til the early hours & how OTT reviews went, but I agreed with their base assessment; that the movie was a total mess & felt like a after-the-fact patch job on a completely different film, by people who didn't know what they were doing. It was a bit more enjoyable than BvS sure, but that was a terrible film applying different metrics of terribleness.

I honestly thought it was an order of magnitude better. It was obviously hacked to pieces and I get the feeling the bits I really enjoyed (the bar scene, Harley's little moment sitting on top of the car) were all Ayer's work. I don't feel "As bad as Fant4stic" or any of that malarky was justified at all.

I'd love to see the original cut, I think there'd be loads to learn from comparing the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote:

Agree with this.

Will Smith and Robbie put in good performances but their characters, like all the characters in the film, were badly written with little to no motivations (that includes the villain) and the overall plot doesn't do much either to explain why certain characters are even there. The action I thought was boring with a climax only a small step above that of Fantastic Four. Definitely more enjoyable than BvS but for me that also comes down to the fact it was shorter but unlike BvS I do believe they're might be a better film hidden somewhere beneath the horrible edit.

The reviews probably were too harsh, as were the ones for BvS. The percentages both films got on Rotten Tomatoes were too harsh.

But whereas BvS had huge problems throughout, saved only for some genuinely great moments, SS was just average. Everything about it was average. The acting, the characters, the action scenes, the CGI, the story... everything was either plain ol' average or the bits that were above average almost completely balanced with the bits below average.

SS for me would be a 50% and BvS a 40-45%.

In general, I don't think te critics were harsh enough. They were certainly hyperbolic in their criticisms but I felt that a lot of the big problems the film had were overlooked in many reviews, due to critics giving more column space to comparing the film to Marvel efforts etc. There's so much bad stuff about this movie that has only been given cursory mentions.

Extra annoying because I really want this universe work...
    pixelburp wrote: »

I agree with all of this!

I also like this. I don't think he's necessary for all films but his inclusion in SS was welcome. Though, the idea of Batman following a small child and their parent down a dark alley is pretty far from what he should be doing, given his origins. It's a small point but I think it was an off moment.

I also like this. I don't think he's necessary for all films but his inclusion in SS was welcome. Though, the idea of Batman following a small child and their parent down a dark alley is pretty far from what he should be doing, given his origins. It's a small point but I think it was an off moment.

After causing a car with 3-4 henchmen in it to crash, then using the Batmobile to drag their car for a while, then using that car to crush another car with 3-4 henchmen in it, almost certainly killing all of them in one go if the ones in the first car weren't already dead... Him going after Deadshot in front of his daughter... not that big a leap...

Penn wrote: »
    After causing a car with 3-4 henchmen in it to crash, then using the Batmobile to drag their car for a while, then using that car to crush another car with 3-4 henchmen in it, almost certainly killing all of them in one go if the ones in the first car weren't already dead... Him going after Deadshot in front of his daughter... not that big a leap...

No, not at all! Just the imagery of Batman being the aggressor in a situation that basically parallels the murder of his parents isn't something I thought we'd see!

No, not at all! Just the imagery of Batman being the aggressor in a situation that basically parallels the murder of his parents isn't something I thought we'd see!

I thought the film was trying to convey- badly- this was the one chance the Wall was giving Bats to get him, thus the "I don't want to do this in front of your child" thing. The police were coming regardless (you can hear the sirens in the background) and it would have been a bloodbath otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Justice League Dark

Doug Liman to Direct ‘Justice League Dark’ for Warner Bros, DC Entertainment
    Doug Liman will direct “Justice League Dark” for DC Entertainment and Warner Bros., an individual with knowledge of the project told TheWrap.

Scott Rudin is producing the project. Michael Gilio is writing the script.

The story follows a dark Justice League team consisting of Det. John Constantine, Swamp Thing, Deadman, Zatanna and Etrigan the Demon. Plot details are being kept under wraps.

http://www.thewrap.com/doug-liman-to-direct-justice-league-dark-for-warner-bros-dc-entertainment/

• Advertisement

I thought the film was trying to convey- badly- this was the one chance the Wall was giving Bats to get him, thus the "I don't want to do this in front of your child" thing. The police were coming regardless (you can hear the sirens in the background) and it would have been a bloodbath otherwise.

What I mean is, irrespective of the narrative put around it, the creative decision to have Batman in basically the same situation that led to his parents' death as the aggressor was a really weird one that Ayer probably didn't consider the context of. It's not a big deal, just a 'lol, ya didn't?!' type moment...

Justice League Dark

http://www.thewrap.com/doug-liman-to-direct-justice-league-dark-for-warner-bros-dc-entertainment/

Given the great success they've had introducing loads of characters in one film so far, this seems like a greaaaat idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,273 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I like Liman as a director and think he could handle it but now I wonder what is happening with the Gambit film he was going to direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I like Liman as a director and think he could handle it but now I wonder what is happening with the Gambit film he was going to direct.

he does look like he has form alright:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Liman#Filmography

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Justice League Dark

An interesting concept but it's hard to get excited about.

Announcing the likes of this and MOS2 just seems so random. They need to start worrying about delivering on what's already on the slate instead of diluting things further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

whats not to like..?

WB are a big enough studio to get loads of projects off the ground.. they just have to improve the storytelling quality..
    I'm a massive fan of the 2005 Keanu film, Constantine.. great to see him back on screen..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,124 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Normally I'd be delighted with that announcement but it's hard to get excited after the last three films for me. Still, Doug Liman has made some very good films and he's established enough that he'd be let do his own thing I would hope.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    An interesting concept but it's hard to get excited about.

Announcing the likes of this and MOS2 just seems so random. They need to start worrying about delivering on what's already on the slate instead of diluting things further.

This. Why are they planning these random movies so far out without having one good film yet?!
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Normally I'd be delighted with that announcement but it's hard to get excited after the last three films for me. Still, Doug Liman has made some very good films and he's established enough that he'd be let do his own thing I would hope.

Edge of Tomorrow is easily one of the best sci-if films of the last decade so I agree about Liman anyway.

whats not to like..?

WB are a big enough studio to get loads of projects off the ground.. they just have to improve the storytelling quality..
    I'm a massive fan of the 2005 Keanu film, Constantine.. great to see him back on screen..

I'm a massive fan of the Transformers, and I don't get excited (or at this point, even bother watching) by Transformers films because the quality is so poor. The only thing that would bring my interest back is a change in director, and probably a hard reboot.

Man of Steel was poor-ish, to me, BvS was absolutely awful, why should I give them money for a third one?

I've always had a soft spot for JL dark so along with that director that's good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ben Affleck posted this to his Facebook page. Looks like we're getting big screen
    Deathstroke

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/ben-affleck-shares-video-seemingly-featuring-our-first-awesome-look-at-a144874

Advertisement