Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metro North & DU farce Options

Options
  • 03-08-2016 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys have been meaning to post this for quite some time. A lot of us here are beyond angry at this entire farce / saga. The media are entirely clueless on the topic of Dublin transport infrastructure. In terms of the politicans Grandeeod, summed things up perfectly. This bull**** of deferring both projects the more you delve into it, stands up to zero scrutiny!

We were here before and now we are here again. It is beyond any reasonable comprehension that both this study and the other one issued for DU re. Inchicore/Heuston is being done in the interests of saving money for the taxpayer and developing a starting point for better rail transport in the city.

This is just more reinventing the wheel based on ignorant, careless and power hungry politicians.

I get done for thousands in direct and indirect taxes every year, like I am sure you all do. I have to put up with all of these politician induced problems, appalling infrastructure, accommodation prices in Dublin, outrageous marginal income rates etc. My point about the taxes being that spending a few quid for the immense satisfaction for taking a stand against this versus the disgust at what my taxes here actually give me in return!

It seems to me that they only way to make progress on this, is absolutely shaming them and blowing all of their bull**** arguments out of the air in the media. We waste too long here either bickering or disagreeing with each other, investing serious time in doing so. While those liars and bull****ters get away without being challenged. The irony is, as soon as they are challenged on issues of contention on rte, they back down regardless of whether they think they are actually in the right or wrong.

Let me get to my point, at this stage I would be prepared to crowd fund,calling these clowns out for what they are, by A) educating people on social media and boards etc, about the important of a decent transport network for Dublin and its part in resolving the housing crisis (which I am sure they care massively about B) take out ad space in Irish times and mainly independent, with an article that highlights the absolutes jokes this situation is and these idiots making these decisions. Damage the reputations of government Fg in this case, ex transport minister etc like Donohue, who seems to be able to go from one ministry to the next without doing anything!

We have recently had coveney with his housing report. Not worth the paper its written on, no mention of the sheer extra amount of housing we could build with original MN and DU and also the moronic densities permitted in several areas of Dublin...

anyway, opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ok guys have been meaning to post this for quite some time. A lot of us here are beyond angry at this entire farce / saga. The media are entirely clueless on the topic of Dublin transport infrastructure. In terms of the politicans Grandeeod, summed things up perfectly. This bull**** of deferring both projects the more you delve into it, stands up to zero scrutiny!

I get done for thousands in direct and indirect taxes every year, like I am sure you all do. I have to put up with all of these politician induced problems, appalling infrastructure, accommodation prices in Dublin, outrageous marginal income rates etc. My point about the taxes being that spending a few quid for the immense satisfaction for taking a stand against this versus the disgust at what my taxes here actually give me in return!

It seems to me that they only way to make progress on this, is absolutely shaming them and blowing all of their bull**** arguments out of the air in the media. We waste too long here either bickering or disagreeing with each other, investing serious time in doing so. While those liars and bull****ters get away without being challenged. The irony is, as soon as they are challenged on issues of contention on rte, they back down regardless of whether they think they are actually in the right or wrong.

Let me get to my point, at this stage I would be prepared to crowd fund,calling these clowns out for what they are, by A) educating people on social media and boards etc, about the important of a decent transport network for Dublin and its part in resolving the housing crisis (which I am sure they care massively about B) take out ad space in Irish times and mainly independent, with an article that highlights the absolutes jokes this situation is and these idiots making these decisions. Damage the reputations of government Fg in this case, ex transport minister etc like Donohue, who seems to be able to go from one ministry to the next without doing anything!

We have recently had coveney with his housing report. Not worth the paper its written on, no mention of the sheer extra amount of housing we could build with original MN and DU and also the moronic densities permitted in several areas of Dublin...

anyway, opinions?

I'm just gonna move to Sweden instead.

Seriously though, I'm exhausted by all this. I remember getting the lovely DU DVD back in 2008/9 from the ABP and I was so happy at the thought of going from Lucan (Kishogue[another days work]) to Dún Laoghaire (where I worked at the time and changing in Pearse St. I remember the idea of a door-to-door transport infrastructure where the savings and improvements in the quality of life of our citizens and city would be so obvious that they would revolutionise the city and country into wanting better for everything.

But then I woke up and realised that as long as suggestions like this are made and the benefits are seen as only for Dublin then we will never get anywhere.

Sure even the DU proposals for the tunnelling in East Wall were scuppered because the locals "weren't getting any benefit" but all of the hassle.
    **** the locals.

So I am impressed with the enthusiasm and hope you keep it up. But I'm just tired of it all.

So getting the 25A or B home later I can see the Kishogue edifice as I come out of the Foxborough estate (which I wouldn't have been going through if the original Network Direct proposals were passed instead of kowtowing to politicians), and then I'll sigh a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Idbatterim wrote: »

anyway, opinions?

You know my opinions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You know my opinions anyway.

I've only recently started reading over stuff in here and I've even grasped them! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is something I think about doing too.

It's amazing how much time I, and others, spend sitting around in traffic.

As a resident of Co. Kerry, I have no experience or knowledge of the ins and outs of Dublin's mess of a transport system, but I do know the issues with Kerry, Cork and Limerick all too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭roddney

I bought a house close to a Dart station a few years back.

I only take jobs in the city centre.

Honestly, it seemed the only sane thing. I reluctantly accepted that Dublin's public transit is unlikely to improve in the medium (10 years) term. I gave up on the dream of DU and Metro North.

Life's to short to worry and get hung up on the mess that Dublin is transport wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Maybe an organized lobying campaign to Minister Ross? I know the corrispondances will get the usual copy/paste response but if his sectary keeps getting a continious stream of emails and letters he may get off his hole. The only other thing I could think of is doing the same thing to all TD and councillers in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Is there a Facebook page or similar for raising awareness of what the benefits of these systrms can bring?

Most people will be happy with the current situation because they're not aware of the potential that exists. Even the differences between the different systems and what each of them can bring to commuters will be lost on many.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

random_guy wrote: »
    Is there a Facebook page or similar for raising awareness of what the benefits of these systrms can bring?

Most people will be happy with the current situation because they're not aware of the potential that exists. Even the differences between the different systems and what each of them can bring to commuters will be lost on many.

Slow down there. I'm assuming you weren't clued in 13 years ago (due to age) when all this kicked off. People were made very aware of the situation, but didn't care. It was all about houses, cars and holidays, despite the daily gridlock and usual moany hole BS online and in the media about sitting in traffic or standing on a train. The vast majority of commuters don't care beyond a moan or two. Forget Facebook. You'll get a share here and there and a few likes on a post or two. What's required is an informed "lobby" that doesn't just email politicians, but blasts out press releases to the media and challenges negative political opinion towards these projects. Get on the radio and TV. Get in the newspapers. Get on every silly little online news site and then engage in the comments section.

Sadly a lobby for these projects is badly required now more than ever. First time around, it generated debate and interest, but against a background of a prospering economy and promise after promise with no expense spared as the can was pushed down the road again and again. That's why we are here in this thread as nothing has changed. In fact we have gone backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Slow down there. I'm assuming you weren't clued in 13 years ago (due to age) when all this kicked off. People were made very aware of the situation, but didn't care. It was all about houses, cars and holidays, despite the daily gridlock and usual moany hole BS online and in the media about sitting in traffic or standing on a train. The vast majority of commuters don't care beyond a moan or two. Forget Facebook. You'll get a share here and there and a few likes on a post or two. What's required is an informed "lobby" that doesn't just email politicians, but blasts out press releases to the media and challenges negative political opinion towards these projects. Get on the radio and TV. Get in the newspapers. Get on every silly little online news site and then engage in the comments section.

Sadly a lobby for these projects is badly required now more than ever. First time around, it generated debate and interest, but against a background of a prospering economy and promise after promise with no expense spared as the can was pushed down the road again and again. That's why we are here in this thread as nothing has changed. In fact we have gone backwards.

You are correct, 13 years ago I wasn't so clued in, although for other reasons. with that said, a lot of things get forgotten in 13 years, not to mention the audience will have changed a lot over 13 years.

But this was kind of my point. A Facebook page or something similar is one of the simplest, easiest to set up, and cheapest ways of reaching an audience and at least lighting a spark under a few more people. And this doesn't exist.

These are the people you add to the lobbying.

Advertisement