Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Olympic Games

• 19-07-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭

Time to start thinking about those Athletics bets!

Personally it's hard to see Usain being beat over 100 and 200m, once he can toe the line he always finds a way to get it done, most notably after some terrible heats in the Worlds 2015.

Semenya in the W800m looks like free money, although ridiculously short odds.

Rudisha is an interesting prospect in the M800m. He seems to be coming into a bit of form and he's another big game player like Bolt. Setting a WR in London will live long in the memory. I've picked up a few bets at >5/2 on the Betfair Exchange, and will keep looking out for value here.

Another interesting one is Jessica Ennis-Hill in the W Heptathlon. 6/4 seems to be good value for someone who knows how to win gold.

Anyone got any interesting insights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Might be best to avoid backing any Russian competitors, or anyone with reasons to be fearful of Zika.

Have around x8 selections e.g. Shelly-Ann FP for the W100m, Conlon for Boxing. Will wait until best prices/offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Generally in events like this, anyone who is a shoe in for the gold, especially if they are famous outside of their sport (Bolt, Phelps, Ennis, etc) is terrible odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Trayvon Bromell at 10/1 E/W is well worth a punt for the 100m. I have doubts over Blake's and Bolt's condition this year, whereas Bromell is getting better and better and his technique is near flawless. Nickel Ashmeade at 50/1 is a definite outsider but he's running superbly this year and with some luck and maybe an injury to one of the big guns, he's got a decent shot at a medal.

Julio Cesar La Cruz is probably one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time, and even at 4/5 it's a super price for him. If I was to lump seerious money on one bet this Olympics it'd be on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Got word from someone training with canadian sprinters for 4*100m relay 7/2 to medal. Confident but sprinters generally are. So make what you will of that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jerry Kiernan tipped Gatlin to beat Bolt in the 100 metres on RTE last night. Took a bit of the 2/1 with Ladbrokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Jerry Kiernan tipped Gatlin to beat Bolt in the 100 metres on RTE last night. Took a bit of the 2/1 with Ladbrokes.

bit like the last time they met when odds were reversed
    value has to be with gatlin now, gonna take that also

Burial. wrote: »
    Julio Cesar La Cruz is probably one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time, and even at 4/5 it's a super price for him. If I was to lump seerious money on one bet this Olympics it'd be on him.

Sure sticks out as a sure fav (short @1.53) in the 81kg. There is also Joe Ward (as 3rd fav and great price @11), certainly worth consideration.

Thankfully there is one less competitor in this event, a Moroccan Boxer: Hassan Saada is his way out of Rio for attempting to attack two maids.

update: another boxer is arrested for also attacking/attempting to attack a maid in the Olympic village (this time a Nambian chap and commonwealth silver medalist). There will only be properly behaved boxers left by the end of week.

just took 9/4 on gatlin (betfred)
    great value for what should be a coin toss

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I'd go along with Burial in that there are doubts over the big guns this year in the 100m.
    Bolt has said his main aim is the 200m. Gatlin is not getting younger, although he's fastest man in the world this year. And Blake - he says his best chance is the 200m. I reckon its primed for an up and comer and Im going for Jimmy Vicault of France at 33/1.
    He equalled his PB of 9.86s at the Anniversary games a few weeks back and, although that might be not good enough to win, if he can get a new PB of maybe 9.81 in the final, that might be enough to get the gold in what may be an average year. If you dont fancy him to beat the top two, the betting without market also has some great odds.

Recommendation - 1pt win Jummy Vicault @ 33/1
    - 1pt win Jimmy Vicault @ 7/1 (w/o Bolt and Gatlin)

gatlin out to 3s
    anyone know why?
    fastest heat time
    maybe bolt looked the most impressive jogging past the line but I still
    don't get the drift :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I think it was Bolt looking so relaxed in that heat. Could be as well as the event comes closer Bolt is getting the casual name recognition gamble.

Gatlin to win 100m is available now @4.33 on BF & PP.

gatlin now 5/1 with the final to come or 8.2 on the exchange
    bolt may have a world record in him later

Currently 8.0 (decimal) on Powers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Double, low odds but should/will win-

womens 400m hurdles Muhammad (4/6) and
    womens 100m hurdles Rollins (4/9)

so who's gonna let me down?

bar a mishap it looks pretty good but I'm sure there's one in there

2rm012p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

mailburner wrote: »

2rm012p.jpg

Barshim... i hope :P I kid, good luck

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Did anyone else apart from Paddy Power pay out on Michael Conlon winning Gold in the boxing after he was robbed?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Did anyone else apart from Paddy Power pay out on Michael Conlon winning Gold in the boxing after he was robbed?

Boyles

ladbrokes

• Advertisement

gufc21 wrote: »
    Barshim... i hope :P I kid, good luck

two down five to go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Can anyone tell me if i can get the Canadian mens 4*100 relay to place? I see ladbrokes, but need a brick and mortar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

Have to say 365 are a holy show for the olympics. No markets whaatsover other than win marketa and the odd yes/no

Deco99 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if i can get the Canadian mens 4*100 relay to place? I see ladbrokes, but need a brick and mortar

7/2 ladbrokes
    skybet/bfair only others pricing top three

http://www.oddschecker.com/olympics/athletics/mens/mens-4x100m-relay/top-3-finish

With (nearly) as much testosterone as me (Mr Accumulator)...
    Is it perhaps possible that Mx Caster Semenya @ 2.50 (Fastest Qualifier Live)
    will have an unfair advantage running in the Women's 800m Athletics?
    If so, 2.5circa is not a bad price on the markets.

mailburner wrote: »

2rm012p.jpg

first time i've seen a bookie do this, now at least I know when to tune in
    it's a pain trying to find out what's on and when

242gxti.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

12.5 is the early line for the US v Spain in the basketball. The Yanquis haven’t been very convincing so far, letting teams hang around longer than they should, but this looks like a penalty kick on the favourites…

Burial. wrote: »

Never once in doubt. Won the gold without even getting out of second gear and barely got hit throughout the entire competition.

Might be the right time for 'near 30-something-ish' Usain Bolt (@7.5) - to break the 200m 19.19 sec (2009) World Record.
    Running soon at 02:30hrs BST/WET 19 Aug. Guess if he wants to, and in lane 6/7 with a bit of a back breeze or plain dive across the line.

• Advertisement

Quick double for the 200m. Winning time under 19.45 is just better than even money. Could be Bolt's last time in the Olympic spotlight and I'm sure he'll run flat out. Bolt, Merrit, De Grasse tricast is 7/2.

Advertisement