Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N52 - Ardee Bypass [construction to commence in 2026]

Options
  • 30-07-2016 2:09am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This road seems to come up regularly in the Dail so I said it deserves its own thread seeing as there are pushes for it to be included in the review of the Capital Investment Plan next year

http://www.thisisardee.ie/2016/07/28/ross-speaks-ardee-western-bypass/
    Post edited by spacetweek on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »
    This road seems to come up regularly in the Dail so I said it deserves its own thread seeing as there are pushes for it to be included in the review of the Capital Investment Plan next year

http://www.thisisardee.ie/2016/07/28/ross-speaks-ardee-western-bypass/

Why is it reduced single carraigeway? Does that mean no hard shoulders like the Kells bypass? Seems a pity not to do new builds on narional secondary routes to the normal single standard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any chance they would ever bypass a village along the N52? Borrisokane has to have the worst road surface in Ireland. If they were serious about making the N52 more reliable, safe and with improved travel times it could be a good idea to bypass it.

I have zero info about average daily users etc.

The N52 through Borrisokane is to be resurfaced in 2017.

Both the village itself and the stretch of N52 north of the town need attention. The stretch north of the town is a joke

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Deedsie wrote: »
    I doubt there is a town/village in Ireland with a worse surface...

Has Buttevant been resurfaced yet? That was like driving over the moon.

My mother's family is from Borrisokane going back a very long time but the town has never been particularly easy to stop up and explore. Would be back there for a few afternoons cemetery hopping and pottering around the town if it was bypassed (not that minor internal tourism is ever seen as a benefit of a bypass, really)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    Has Buttevant been resurfaced yet? That was like driving over the moon.

My mother's family is from Borrisokane going back a very long time but the town has never been particularly easy to stop up and explore. Would be back there for a few afternoons cemetery hopping and pottering around the town if it was bypassed (not that minor internal tourism is ever seen as a benefit of a bypass, really)

Buttevant resurfacing after 19 months of work is almost done.

I can't see the above proposal for upgrading the N52 as a primary route as long as the M1/M7 tolls are in place. It would encourage dodging along the route

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't see the above proposal for upgrading the N52 as a primary route as long as the M1/M7 tolls are in place. It would encourage dodging along the route

Changing the number alone won't encourage traffic - most people use satnavs and journey planners at least often enough that physical upgrades will cause them to reroute regardless; but route numbers don't.

Neither the M1 or M7 toll are state-stoplossed so there is minimal* reason for the state to care about loss of toll revenue

*they get VAT and I suspect they also have a % share of the income once it breaches a certain level on both - they certainly do on the M1

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Changing the number alone won't encourage traffic - most people use satnavs and journey planners at least often enough that physical upgrades will cause them to reroute regardless; but route numbers don't.

Neither the M1 or M7 toll are state-stoplossed so there is minimal* reason for the state to care about loss of toll revenue

*they get VAT and I suspect they also have a % share of the income once it breaches a certain level on both - they certainly do on the M1

No I mean the proposal to upgrade it along its length as a primary route

The section Kilbeggan to Dundalk especially, if people going Galway-Belfast went this way both the M4 and M1 tolls would be reduced, and of course the M50

No I mean the proposal to upgrade it along its length as a primary route

The section Kilbeggan to Dundalk especially, if people going Galway-Belfast went this way both the M4 and M1 tolls would be reduced, and of course the M50

I'm sure they'd be quite happy to see the M50 traffic reduced and neither the M4 or M1 are really the states problem!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

You're gonna have to explain your logic a bit better here - why would the state protect the revenue from these roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The section Ardee to Dundalk should be detrunked, and N33/M1 used instead. with the N33 upgraded and renamed N2...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

The section Ardee to Dundalk should be detrunked, and N33/M1 used instead. with the N33 upgraded and renamed N2...

If I remember rightly, it has been officially detrunked but exists without a new R number...!

• Advertisement

I actually thought that was already done. But I looked on open street map which is practically always right and it still shows as N52.

It was more the idea of giving it a national primary status. It is a strategic north(east) to South(west) route connecting the main inter urban motorways and gives a cross country route avoiding the M50. If it was signed and designated as primary it might move it up the upgrade lists. It has happened in other parts of the country before. No one suggesting motorway etc just good quality single with hard shoulders (unlike the poor Kells bypass). Maybe 2+2 if needed in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

medoc wrote: »
    I actually thought that was already done. But I looked on open street map which is practically always right and it still shows as N52.

The Roundabout on the N52/M1 junction at Dundalk south has it as the n52 still, with the M1 signage directing traffic to Mullingar to the N52.

In the Roads Act 2012, the N52 legally starts in Ardee.

I believe what used to be the N52 is now the R215, but I am open to correction on this. The N52 east of Dundalk became the R132 (old N1).

http://www.thisisardee.ie/2017/04/21/minogue-tells-tii-taxpayer-must-see-return-money/

Ardee bypass will probably see the light of day in the next few years due to its advanced nature, the lack of other projects with planning and the size of the scheme itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Consultants invited to tender for this scheme. Scope up to Tender Action Evaluation and Award Stage

Strong talks of this being included in the Capital Plan post midterm review. Cheap, shovel ready and a political issue in the area.

Is there maps available for this? I see it's called a Western by-pass, any chance they're being smart enough to make it take N2 as well as N52 traffic around the town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

flickarius wrote: »

Great news for the town and all the long distance traffic too. What is the proposed standard? Will it have hard shoulders or will it be more like the Kells bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

medoc wrote: »
    Great news for the town and all the long distance traffic too. What is the proposed standard? Will it have hard shoulders or will it be more like the Kells bypass?

I'm not sure, I remember seeing the details online years ago, must do a search and see if I can find them. ☺️

flickarius wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I remember seeing the details online years ago, must do a search and see if I can find them. ☺️
    Type 2 SC, same as the Nenagh/Kells bypasses on the N52. 3.65m lane in either direction with no hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Type 2 SC, same as the Nenagh/Kells bypasses on the N52. 3.65m lane in either direction with no hard shoulder.

Why are we still building roads with no shoulders? They are potential death traps the amount of near misses I have seen of the Kells bypass between cars broke down and pedestrians walking. It is surly worth it long term to put in a shoulder

Most cyclists in the Ardee, Kells and Nenagh areas aren't through traffic on the N52. They can cycle or walk through the town, which in the majority of cases is where their destination is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Most cyclists in the Ardee, Kells and Nenagh areas aren't through traffic on the N52. They can cycle or walk through the town, which in the majority of cases is where their destination is anyway.

in fairness now cyclist are not going to go through the town. I am on the N52 between Tullamore and Dundalk at least 3 times a week and the kells bypass is packed with walkers and cyclists .

MOD:

I have created a thread here for discussion of cycling in specific relation to the development of new national road schemes. Please continue discussion here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057694424

Article summing up frequently asked questions on the Ardee bypass here:

http://www.thisisardee.ie/2017/07/31/n52-ardee-bypass-know/

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/is-funding-deal-done-on-the-multimillion-euro-ardee-bypass-35986472.html

Confusion regarding funding status for N52 Ardee bypass.

I believe this is to be included in the midterm review of the Capital Investment Plan, which hasn't been announced yet.

2018 start if true.

Advertisement