Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

• 06-05-2016 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hail, Caesar! actor to take up role made famous by Harrison Ford in Han Solo: A Star Wars Story, directed by The Lego Movie’s Phil Lord and Christopher Miller

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/06/alden-ehrenreich-han-solo-star-wars-harrison-ford

I haven't seen Hail, Caesar but he's supposed to steal the show.

alden-ehrenreich.jpg

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/727883165000327168

On the story setup:
    Lawrence Kasdan has been all over the Star Wars universe, writing the scripts for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and contributing in other capacities. The upcoming Untitled Han Solo Anthology Film will reportedly be his last entry into the canon. Talking with J.J. Abrams, with whom he collaborated on The Force Awakens screenplay, at the Director's Guild of America, he shed a little light on the set up, saying:
    [The film] will not be, "Here’s where he was born and this is how he was raised." I think what it will be is what was he like 10 years earlier [than A New Hope]—maybe a little earlier, you’ll get a glimpse. But Kurosawa once said the heroes are the ones that are still changing and the villains are locked and petrified into what they are, and Harrison embodies in Force Awakens someone who is still not settled on who he is.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Han-Solo-Star-Wars-Movie-Take-Place-104337.html

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

quad_red wrote: »

I haven't seen Hail, Caesar but he's supposed to steal the show.

Would that it were so simple!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Isn't he a little short for a Stormtrooper smuggler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Can't wait to get shooting!

So long as Han does it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Surprised there's no thread on this already (unless I've missed it somewhere)...

The young Han Solo has been cast!

http://www.cnet.com/news/disney-picks-alden-ehrenreich-to-play-young-han-solo/
    http://www.etonline.com/news/193418_alden_ehrenreich_officially_introduced_as_new_han_solo_at_star_wars_celebration/
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-right-directors-are-making-the-han-solo-movie-and-1783808604

I've not seen Hail Caesar but apparently he's great in it. He certainly has the look for Han.

The directors behind this also made 21 Jump Street and Lego Movie so they should be able to handle a mix of humour and action... with the Disney manual on how to make Star Wars movies of course to keep things on track.

This will probably be the highest pressure Star Wars movie in the making... the challenge of living up to Ford as Han Solo will be huge but the pay off could be awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Would that it were so simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Roar wrote: »

He really did steal the show in Hail Caesar for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Burgo wrote: »
    He really did steal the show in Hail Caesar for me at least.

It's.... complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

young chewbacca

cute-animals-pictures-fluffy-brown-dog-puppy.jpg

It's.... complicated.

Oh yeah, what's the backstory here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Bacchus wrote: »
    Oh yeah, what's the backstory here?

From the film 'Hail Ceaser':

...he eventually records the line as "It's... complicated" :)

Potentially good choice for Solo anyway. Liked him in Hail Ceaser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The poor bastard has such a mountain to climb with a character as beloved as Han Solo, nearly 40 years of people being used to Harrison Ford as him.

He seems talented from what I've seen of him so will be interesting to see what he's able to do in this role.

Still doesn't feel right that somebody else is playing Solo, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The poor bastard has such a mountain to climb with a character as beloved as Han Solo, nearly 40 years of people being used to Harrison Ford as him.

He seems talented from what I've seen of him so will be interesting to see what he's able to do in this role.

Still doesn't feel right that somebody else is playing Solo, though

Yeah, it just doesn't feel right. With literally an entire universe to play with I can't help but think that the Rogue One option was the better path to take when expanding that universe.
    Spinoffs tend to work best when focused on minor characters with whom you can go in any direction with (think Fraiser from Cheers), messing with main characters and attempting to spin them off never goes well (think Joey from Friends), besides, how can you invest all that much in a characters plight if you know exactly what cantina in which hive of scum and villany he'll be standing in a few short years later come what may?

conorhal wrote: »
    Yeah, it just doesn't feel right. With literally an entire universe to play with I can't hep but think that the Rogue One option was the better path to take when expanding that universe. Spinoffs tend to work best when focused on minor characters with whom you can go in any direction (think Fraiser from Cheers), messing with main characters and attempting to spin them off never goes well (think Joey from Friends), besides, how can you invest all that much in a characters plight if you know exactly what cantina in which hive of scum and villany he'll be standing in a few short years later come what may?

I get where you are coming from. He has plot-armour on because he HAS to be alive and well for episodes 4-7. However, I don't think that's all that big a drawback. How many action/adventure movies do you watch where you actually think the lead character is in real peril? They're a rare beast. This will be no different, it shouldn't be a hindrance to making a thrilling, swash-buckling, nerf-herding Solo movie.

They do need to find a strong story to tell though and make sure it fits into the character. He's no hero by episode 4 so it'd be very off if they tried to shoe-horn in a story where he's the hero. He's a smuggler who only cares about his ship and money... and Chewie. That's where the challenge is. We all have a perception of who Han is and if they don't nail that, it will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Wonder will they be three standalone stories or some sort of continuing trilogy. Hopefully the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Duggy747 wrote: »

Still doesn't feel right that somebody else is playing Solo, though.

This is bad for movie stars everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Id say it won't be too long before all the original characters are re-cast and we get an endless number of new adventures. The Han Solo movie is just get things started in that direction.

Don't be surprised if the new Luke and Leia show up before the end of this movie.

Wedwood wrote: »
    Id say it won't be too long before all the original characters are re-cast and we get an endless number of new adventures. The Han Solo movie is just get things started in that direction.

Don't be surprised if the new Luke and Leia show up before the end of this movie.

A Luke movie set between VI and VII would be interesting. There's a lot of potential there with the aftermath of the rebellion, rise of the First Order and his ultimate exile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dear Disney,

Just stop.

Yours,
    Those of us who grew up on Star Wars
    &
    Those of us who grew up on Star Wars and saw how overrated The Force Awakens was.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they will recreate the greatest moment in Star Wars history at some stage in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

faceman wrote: »
    Dear Disney,

Just stop.

Yours,
    &
    Those of us who grew up on Star Wars and saw how overrated The Force Awakens was.

Why? New films won't ruin the original ones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

faceman wrote: »
    Dear Disney,

Just stop.

Yours,
    &

The Force Awakens isn't overrated at all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hopefully they will recreate the greatest moment in Star Wars history at some stage in the film.

WTF was that?

:confused:

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

All it has to do is have the falcon.

And they aren making three Han films. Apparently it's just the done thing these days to cover themselves should they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Even if this movie receives mass critical acclaim, with 5 star reviews being thrown at it left, right & center... I will STILL refuse to believe it is a good idea.

I hope to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

El Duda wrote: »
    Even if this movie receives mass critical acclaim, with 5 star reviews being thrown at it left, right & center... I will STILL refuse to believe it is a good idea.

I hope to be proven wrong.

I was skeptical at first and for a long while but I'm now on board with this. I think they've got the actor spot on and the writing and directing duties are in safe hands. This could be the most fun Star Wars movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whatever else you say about Disney, they know how to make a movie. Divorced of any commercial or marketing prejudices, the studio understand better than most what ingredients gel best in forming a successful, fun, blockbuster film. I don't think there can be any disagreement there. The results might often be a little bland or rote, but rarely ostensibly bad.

The only question is just how well they've estimated their potential audience's appetite for a Han Solo film, or the creeping flood of Star Wars films in general. It's not like there isn't enough evidence that suggests you don't do 'before they were famous' style prequels or remakes of cherished pop culture. It's a tough sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

david75 wrote: »
    All it has to do is have the falcon.

And they aren making three Han films. Apparently it's just the done thing these days to cover themselves should they want to.
    Hopefully there will be a substantially bigger story than just Han meets Chewie, wins an old freighter from Lando

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

xper wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be a substantially bigger story than just Han meets Chewie, wins an old freighter from Lando

Han is my favourite character. And I didn't think that we need a film about him. Yet here we are. But, we're here with Lawrence Kasdan and his son writing, and Lord and Miller directing. And a year to play with. (I heard this is out may 2017, don't know if that's still the case)

With that combo, This might be the best of the stand alone films. Hard to say but I'm thinking each of these standalones are going to be radically different.

Wish they'd done a young Han weird in Netflix but let's see.

Advertisement