Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUP - Beginning and Barriers to Entry

Options
  • 11-08-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi All,

I hope I am not replicating questions elsewhere on this site.

I was keen to try surfing, but found out quickly that the slovenly waves on the east coast of our fair isle aren't conducive to the experience! So hence was introduced to to SUP....

Had a great experience in a well-known Dublin SUP school and was keen to continue. I was disappointed to learn that there really is no economy of scale for an interested beginner. The general mark for a session including hire of gear seems to be 40(ish) Euro, which is fine as a one off fun experience but prohibitive for someone who would like to test the waters as it were!

How did you guys start out? Are there other alternate routes into SUP? Are there clubs? How long does it take on average to get proficient so you can head out safely on your own (or with a partner..pretty sure I can rope my training buddy in!)?

I appreciate that basic gear could come in somewhere between 500- 1000, I can scrape this together outside the watchful eye of my wife! But not quite so easy if you're shelling out about the same for lessons.

Greatly appreciate any advice you might have.

Cheers,

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Hi. I don't have an awful lot of info except to say that I did a good bit of paddling on holiday recently and really enjoyed it. Got absolutely no lessons except from a 5 min tutorial on the beach and found it to be pretty straight forward. Have done a lot of sea kayaking in the past and windsurfing so ament exactly unused to water.

Looking around Dublin aboveboard based in Dun Laoighre appear to run a club but I've no details about prices or times.

Cost of a new inflatable board seems to be around 1000e because I'm thinking of maybe getting one next year. With some common sense I don't think you'd need too many lessons but happy to be corrected.

Seems to be pretty accessible and fun Sport.....surprised that more aren't doing it but maybe I just haven't seen them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Try contacting http://www.irishsurfing.ie/ or the east coast surf club there were some SUPers in it a few years back, I'm no longer a member so don't know about now. or here http://www.irishsup.com/apps/forums/show/2770032-general-discussion

How ever for messing about on the water in dublin 40 ish a rental isn't bad, they have high over heads and you don't have to have a board, wetsuit ....
    I'd say starting out from scratch the out lay would be more like 1500+,

Board 800 +
    Paddle 200
    Board bag 100
    Wetsuit 200
    Roof Rack 120
    Boots 50
    Hood 50
    Leash 50

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Try contacting http://www.irishsurfing.ie/ or the east coast surf club there were some SUPers in it a few years back, I'm no longer a member so don't know about now. or here http://www.irishsup.com/apps/forums/show/2770032-general-discussion

How ever for messing about on the water in dublin 40 ish a rental isn't bad, they have high over heads and you don't have to have a board, wetsuit ....
    I'd say starting out from scratch the out lay would be more like 1500+,

Board 800 +
    Paddle 200
    Board bag 100
    Wetsuit 200
    Roof Rack 120
    Boots 50
    Hood 50
    Leash 50

Or get a second hand inflatable for about 500 and then you don't need a roof rack or bag and will more than likely get a paddle included

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I started SUP 4 years ago inland on Lough Gill in Skigo with the sadly now defunct SUP for All and absolutely adored it. I was out in rain, hail or shine, learned loads and it was very economical for me. Since its ceased operating I've been raring to get out in Dublin.

Did one session with Aboveboard in Dun Laoghaire, I was severely hungover and scared witless of the skinny board and undulating waves which were not what I was used to having only ever been out on inland water. Really enjoyed the session, thought it was good value and their SUP club sounds even better again but I just live and work in the wrong side of town to really be able to just pop over and try it as often as I like, not to mention that I'm more looking for the relaxing "zen" side of SUP, I just don't think open water is for me :o I took part in a fun race out in Skerries about 6 weeks ago and it was a lot smoother, there's a school/club in operation somewhere out there too I think but again just way too far away from me.

I bought a brand new 10' 6 inflatable and all the accoutrements for €600 today, I think the guy quoted me that price on the spot only to discover that he could've charged another €200 to bring himself in line after he checked out a few other suppliers.

Bringing the lot down to Blessington tomorrow evening to meet Wicklow SUP club, I'm excited and nervous in equal parts. The club is only in it's infancy afaik and don't have boards to rent so you have to bring your own gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Alphac

Thanks all of you for your responses.
    I went back to Above Board (that's a 3 year gap!) and consistent with your comments had a great time, the guy down there, Ronan, is a true gent. One of my mates was struggling and he really took care of him - didn't want to take payment for the session afterwards (we insisted!).
    It did strike me that with the right gear, in my case a board with massive displacement! You could get out there and start improving quite quickly. I used to do a good bit of open water sea swimming, so I am competent in the water, still I would prob potter about some of the safer areas initially anyway.
    I have a couple more questions if you don't mind:
      Should I buy now? Do you guys SUP year round? Really I would love to, I used to sea swim in March! But there is the option of rental from Above Board at 20 per 2 hours, if winter is a more "dormant" period I could (reluctantly) hold off till spring.
      Where do you go? Where are the best spots for beginners? I know this sounds na ve, I live about 15mins from Dun laoghaire and about the same to Killiney beach. Can you just head down and take to the sea? I used to swim a lot in Killiney and don't remember seeing SUP'ers out there.
      Inflatable vs. rigid board - I have enough room to store a board in my house (despite wife's grumbles!). But what are the other pros and cons, I imagine inflating is a bit of a pain? In terms of performance and use which are best? (I am 6'1",100+kgs)

Sorry for the lengthy post, bit of my enthusiasm bubbling over here.
    I look forward to hearing how you all getting on and any advice you may have.

All the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement