Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sopranos....

• 11-08-2016 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Random post folks....have started watching this again. Did watch all series the first time around but wow....it really is fantastic TV. Nothing else comes close....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7-Dy-k8PMs

This clip made me howl.....Your sister's c***t :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ha, I've just started watching it again too. :pac:

Wife had never seen it in it's run so it's all fresh for her while this is my 3rd time going through the series, last time was about 7 years ago. We're halfway through the 2nd season at the moment.

Even on my 3rd run it's like I'm watching it for the first time, picking up on all extra little details I would've missed before.

It really does earn it's accolade of being one of the best shows but it's a real shame Gandolfini died, he was a fantastic actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

EVERY character is bloody excellent....Uncle June was and still is my favourite...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Duggie2012

anyone that hasn't seen this really hasnt lived. probably the greatest tv show of all time and funny too. even if the ending was kack. the episode with christopher and paulie when they get stuck up in the woods after a bit of a botched killing job is really funny.

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    anyone that hasn't seen this really hasnt lived. probably the greatest tv show of all time and funny too. even if the ending was kack.

V.True...haven't met anyone who hasn't seen it...nothing will ever come close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just started into the box set again on Sunday night.
    This will be the third time to watch it and caught most of the episodes as they came out on TV.
    Been about four years since I last watched it and nothing comes close although the Wire gave it a good run for its money.

Could never get into The Wire...must give it another shot:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Could never get into The Wire...must give it another shot:pac:

The Wire is so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭pavb2

anyone that hasn't seen this really hasnt lived. probably the greatest tv show of all time and funny too. even if the ending was kack. the episode with christopher and paulie when they get stuck up in the woods after a bit of a botched killing job is really funny.

Was funny though I thought that Russian would come back to haunt them

pavb2 wrote: »
    Was funny though I thought that Russian would come back to haunt them

That was hilarious....and the "Vito is a fag" drama.....:D

• Advertisement

remember beansie is in a wheelchair and tony is down in miami or florida or somewhere. beansie is wheeled out of a van and tony goes...ooww i was gonna park in that spot..haha

remember beansie is in a wheelchair and tony is down in miami or florida or somewhere. beansie is wheeled out of a van and tony goes...ooww i was gonna park in that spot..haha

Haha...so many great moments....great one liners....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Nothing tops The Sopranos. Can be watched again and again, always entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Cupra280

V.True...haven't met anyone who hasn't seen it...nothing will ever come close to it.

I've never watched it.

I only watched Breaking Bad about 18 months ago.

Tried The Wire this year.....only got 4 episodes in.

Nothing tops The Sopranos. Can be watched again and again, always entertaining.

I find myself laughing throughout...such a plethora of great, great characters...:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I recently watched it all for the first time.

I think it's a bit overrated to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, I think the first 3 seasons are some of the best TV I've ever watched, but I think 4 and 5 felt very directionless. The story didn't really seem to progress all that much, and it kinda just felt like they were treading water. It wasn't until the coma episodes that I sort of felt the show got back on track and the final few episodes were utterly brilliant again.

For me it sort of felt a bit like Breaking Bad in its final seasons, in that all the characters became increasingly unlikable. I 100% get that that's probably what they were going for, but I just personally don't enjoy a show fully if there isn't at least one person in it I'm rooting for.

The series does have some outstanding moments throughout, and it's definitely worth a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Tony: Blood. You're gonna lead this family into the 21st Century.
    Christopher Moltisanti: Well, Tony, technically we're already in the 21st Century...
    [Tony looks at him, confused]
    Christopher Moltisanti: Forget about it. You won't regret this, T.

Ted111 wrote: »
    Tony: Blood. You're gonna lead this family into the 21st Century.
    Christopher Moltisanti: Well, Tony, technically we're already in the 21st Century...
    [Tony looks at him, confused]
    Christopher Moltisanti: Forget about it. You won't regret this, T.

LMAO....however, "Your sister's ****" is prob the best expletive I have ever heard!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Groundbreaking.
    Heralded in a golden age of televisual drama and made both audiences and creators reconsider what the medium could do.
    For me it's the second best TV series of all time. Slightly behind The Wire and slightly in front of Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭pavb2

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Groundbreaking.
    Heralded in a golden age of televisual drama and made both audiences and creators reconsider what the medium could do.
    For me it's the second best TV series of all time. Slightly behind The Wire and slightly in front of Breaking Bad.

The strength of the Sopranos lies with its characters and The Wire with its different plot threads.

I enjoyed series 1 of the wire because of its originality, season 2 was good because it changed 'cultures', season 3 Hamsterdam was great but the school series stretched credibility a bit and I found a bit boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

pavb2 wrote: »
    The strength of the Sopranos lies with its characters and The Wire with its different plot threads.

I enjoyed series 1 of the wire because of its originality, season 2 was good because it changed 'cultures', season 3 Hamsterdam was great but the school series stretched credibility a bit and I found a bit boring.

I really liked the school series. Found it very interesting to see what life in like for some people in America. Kids looking after kids in conditions you wouldn't leave your dog in. Some of them had no hope.

Loved the Sopranos. Maifa / gangster stuff is prob my favourite genre but I came late to the sopranos and it was so hyped that I thought it was a little bit of a let down but did love it over all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Richie Aprile's death was always a letdown for me.Really hoping they would beef out the story line and not have it end so fast and kinda disappointingly.Last series was getting weird though kinda it was all really over then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Richie Aprile's death was always a letdown for me.Really hoping they would beef out the story line and not have it end so fast and kinda disappointingly.Last series was getting weird though kinda it was all really over then.

I felt the same about
    Chris'
    death in Series 6. I really thought they were going to line him up to have a feud with Tony after he was ranting in a previous episode. Same happened with
    Paulie
    , they kinda kept portraying him as a sneaky piece of sh*t playing both sides, but he never really got called on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Paulie & Christopher were the greatest comedy act I've seen on the small screen. The constant bickering & being a knife edge away from violence was always great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭take everything

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Ha, I've just started watching it again too. :pac:

Wife had never seen it in it's run so it's all fresh for her while this is my 3rd time going through the series, last time was about 7 years ago. We're halfway through the 2nd season at the moment.

Even on my 3rd run it's like I'm watching it for the first time, picking up on all extra little details I would've missed before.

It really does earn it's accolade of being one of the best shows but it's a real shame Gandolfini died, he was a fantastic actor.

I've never watched the full series and keep saying I will.
    But I can never find it anywhere. It's not on Netflix from what I can see.

James Gandolfini was amazing.
    Just watching him in True Romance there. He looks so young and he plays this detestable character. And he plays detestable characters all the time (i'm thinking also of the likes of 8mm which incidentally got panned but I thought it was pretty decent. Ebert gives it 3/4 though. Like minds, ha...). Anyway, he always makes these characters memorable

when i'm watching episodes now sometimes i forget that Gandolfini is sadly passed on. amazing, hard to believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

I've never watched the full series and keep saying I will. But I can never find it anywhere. It's not on Netflix from what I can see.

It's on Amazon prime. The US version anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

And he plays detestable characters all the time (i'm thinking also of the likes of 8mm which incidentally got panned but I thought it was pretty decent. Ebert gives it 3/4 though. Like minds, ha...). Anyway, he always makes these characters memorable

The beauty of him in The Sopranos is how he wobbles back and forth from a detestable guy to a likeable guy through his actions. Every scene in every episode he's just brilliant to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

This must be my fourth time around with this show when Sky Atlantic started repeating it and still finding stuff I missed previously.
    Best show ever with so many layers to so many great characters which finds me almost grieving for them when I see the actors popping up somewhere else.

Best baddies in Richie aprile,Ralphie and Phil leotarda.

Great music and best ending to a show when phil raises his glass to his slain brothers photo and says "No More" and John Cooper clarkes Chickentown comes on which was chilling and the beginning of the end for the Sopranos.

Brought back some great songs and gave me some new ones with the likes of The Eurythmics;Saved the world today,John Lydon;Destruction.Uncle Junior singing a lovely old Italian song at a family gathering in a restaurant and a brilliant moment when Tony started crying to an old Chee Lites song from his youth in his Jeep.
    Also the Polices Every Breath segued in to theme form Peter Gunn.

Much underrated tragi-comical character had to be Artie Bucco and his restaurant,his money problems and his romantic obsessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    It's on Amazon prime. The US version anyway.

US version?

Advertisement