Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Markets

• 02-08-2016 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Myself and a friend are considering heading to a Christmas Market in the UK in November, and I'm looking for suggestions on what ones are good and are worth going to.

Would appreciate any help with this as there is so much info online about the various markets that I'm not sure which ones would be better to go to.

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the travel section so said I'd post here and if its unsuitable maybe a mod could move it to travel? :o

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I went to the one in Hyde Park 2 years ago. It was great

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I go to a Christmas market every year, only UK one I went to was Edinburgh which I can recommend. Great city to visit in winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

We did a Christmas markets tour of the UK a few years ago. We went Birmingham-Bath-Cornwall- London.

Birmingham was MASSIVE, it's the biggest traditional market outside of Germany. It was good but after a while it's the same stuff just on different stalls.

Bath was lovely, much smaller but felt a lot nicer. Birmingham was like going to a big shopping centre, Bath was like a nice shopping street.

Cornwall was AMAZING, we stayed for a few days in Liskeard and went to local markets all around the local area. The town hosts a Christmas lights parade every year where locals make HUGE paper lanterns and light them up and parade them through the town. Then there was a massive fireworks display. The locals all thought we were bonkers, we just googled local Christmas fairs and turned up at them like stealth Irish weirdos.

We went to the market in Hyde park in London at the end of it all, and it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thanks so much everyone for your helpful and informative replies, really appreciate them.

Keep the suggestions coming as we'll go anywhere really, depending on cost, we don't want anything extortionate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I've never been to any UK markets but I've been to some in Europe. Would you consider Europe OP?
    I've been to Prague at Christmastime - we arrived on St Nicholas Day (I think it's called) and it was all very magical with all the local tradition and customs.
    I've also been to the markets in Strasbourg & Colmar. Those markets are held beside the old cathedrals and there's outdoor ice rinks too.
    It was all very traditional with wooden huts and wasn't commercial when I was there anyway.

P.S. We managed to get the Prague trip for less than €200 - flew with Ryanair, stayed in small hotels - about 3 days & nights there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I've never been to any UK markets but I've been to some in Europe. Would you consider Europe OP?
    I've been to Prague at Christmastime .

oh ! Milli I was looking for someone who had been to the market in Prague. I'm going this year in December on a girls mini Christmas trip and can't wait !! Did u find you had the market done in one day or spent all 3 days there or any tips or advice you'd share :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Europe is a no go for us unfortunately, it needs to be in the UK. Maybe Europe next year, we'll see. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Groupon have a deal this morning for European Christmas markets and flights starting from €89.

2rynb86.jpg

More detail on Groupon.ie as there's loads of different options, destinations and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park is a nice evening out and conveniently located, check their website for the opening dates though as I think it's quite late in November that it opens - I could be wrong though!

I went a couple of years ago. I didn't buy anything though apart from a pork roll (they had a hog roast) and a couple of glasses of mulled wine/cider and then just wandered around looking at everything.

I remember thinking the items for sale were very commercial and overpriced, a load of tat you could buy in any London gift shop or at Camden market so I wouldn't go for the shopping, more just the experience and Christmas feeling. I imagine most Christmas markets in the UK will be like this - I'm hoping to head to Germany this year for the 'real' experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have gone to multiple European Christmas markets (Krakow, Berlin, Frankfurt, Cologne, Dusseldorf, the Uk trip above) and my partners also been to Vienna and really, it's for the experience. A lot of the stands in these cities are the same, but it's just wandering about in the cold with a hold chocolate or a schtizel or whatever it is is so lovely. I've really only bought a handful of things at the markets across the years. Now, they're things I love (especially our blown glass Christmas tree topper which was a pain to bring home safely in HAND LUGGAGE but we managed it!) but I don't go for the actual shopping- in some ways I think that's not the point of them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I have gone to multiple European Christmas markets (Krakow, Berlin, Frankfurt, Cologne, Dusseldorf, the Uk trip above) and my partners also been to Vienna and really, it's for the experience. A lot of the stands in these cities are the same, but it's just wandering about in the cold with a hold chocolate or a schtizel or whatever it is is so lovely. I've really only bought a handful of things at the markets across the years. Now, they're things I love (especially our blown glass Christmas tree topper which was a pain to bring home safely in HAND LUGGAGE but we managed it!) but I don't go for the actual shopping- in some ways I think that's not the point of them!!!

Definitely, the wandering about in the cold, all wrapped up and listening to the Christmas music etc is just lovely - a great way to get into the Christmas spirit!

Advertisement