Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best 24+ hour milsim events in UK

• 04-08-2016 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hello all
    Looking into going over to the UK for a 24 plus hour milsim event, preferably on one of those British army FIBUA training villages. It will probably be next year a this stage before I can get over but putting in some research into it now. I was over at the TA events "war of ashes" event a few years back mostly the events on Sennybridge, missed the Copehill down event, But TA are long gone. The last event I was at was one of Tier 1 events about two years ago but they are closing their events to invite only from now on.
    I just wanted to ask people on here what companies are running well run milsim events on the Fibua villages these days, has anybody on here been over to them & what was your experience.
    The events companies I know of are;
    -War-zone
    -Tier 1
    -Stirling Airsoft
    -Combat operations
    Is there any more that I have missed out on?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I think that's about your lot at the moment darman. I know of a few others that run events on MOD sites but whether or not they are strictly 24+ hour milsim I can't say; namely Dragon Valley & Airsoft Airborne.

Others that I can mention, although shall point out that they are not strictly 'milsim' although very strong on narrative and have been on MOD facilities include: Gunman airsoft (who never disappoint) and Urban-6 airsoft (for whom I had the pleasure of being a "drug-lord" for a 24 hour event in Swynnerton barracks, complete with vehicles). Gunman do a mix of 24 hour and non-24 hour events so it does depend on the event details, and Urban-6 have actual normal game-day sites as well.

I've not named others as I know they're not 24 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

Lemming wrote: »
    I think that's about your lot at the moment darman. I know of a few others that run events on MOD sites but whether or not they are strictly 24+ hour milsim I can't say; namely Dragon Valley & Airsoft Airborne.

Others that I can mention, although shall point out that they are not strictly 'milsim' although very strong on narrative and have been on MOD facilities include: Gunman airsoft (who never disappoint) and Urban-6 airsoft (for whom I had the pleasure of being a "drug-lord" for a 24 hour event in Swynnerton barracks, complete with vehicles). Gunman do a mix of 24 hour and non-24 hour events so it does depend on the event details, and Urban-6 have actual normal game-day sites as well.

I've not named others as I know they're not 24 hour.
    Thanks a lot for the reply & info Lemming, plenty of food for thought and I'll look into them. Just wanted to ask what you mean by "not strictly milsim"? Don't mind events with good narrative, adds to it really. Also have you going to been to any of the others I mentioned above & be able to give your or what you have heard?

darman28 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the reply & info Lemming, plenty of food for thought and I'll look into them. Just wanted to ask what you mean by "not strictly milsim"? Don't mind events with good narrative, adds to it really. Also have you going to been to any of the others I mentioned above & be able to give your or what you have heard?

By "not strictly milsim" I mean they don't bill themselves per-se as being milsim games like Tier-One or TA-Events or the like. Indeed TA-Events billed most of their games as "battle-sim" rather than milsim, but I digress.

As for personal experience; I've been around the houses with a few of those event companies named;

Tier-One:
    I've played one Tier-One game which was at STANTA in Norfolk in a blizzard for 36 hours*. It was fun although the storyline went a bit to pot even if the game itself did not and everyone made the best of the insane weather including the organisers who were missing a lot of staff for the weekend.

Stirling airsoft:
    I'm going to preface this by saying that I have not been to a Stirling game in a very long time so they may well have changed their tune. Personally speaking, I did not enjoy the game that both FireKitten & I attended which is a pity as the site (Whinney-hill OBUA village in Catterick Garrison) is a fantastic MOD facility. I found that I was paying to be the OpFor for Team-Stirling's personal airsoft enjoyment. It's a view I've heard others share of other events more recent than my own experience. As a matter of note, FK & I left said event on the Saturday evening. As we then discovered, they also decided to break for the night (before game-on I might add ... ) on what was meant to be billed a 24-hour event as we later heard.

So, if you're signing on with Team Stirling you'll have a great time; if you're not ... maybe not. They like to win and the game-flow and rules will adapt to match this desire to win.

Urban-6:
    I've not been to any of their game sites but have heard nothing but good things about them and they have been regulars at Brit-tac events and are a great bunch of lads. I've attended one event run at Swynnerton Barracks (they use the site reasonably frequently so I'm led to believe) as a character for the game (two rival drug cartels & a police force in the middle of it all). Well organised, well run, and with cracking storylines.

Gunman Airsoft:
    Been a while since I've been to an event, but they've run a few at Sennybridge & the like and they can be found running events in conjunction with other companies like First & Only. In any case, they've never let me down with strong storylines and good props. Tend to be more period (e.g. WW2) or "film-sim" events, all with strong storylines and interesting faction setup.

Dragon-Valley I know by name only although they've held events at Sennybridge recently, and Airsoft-Airborne seem fairly active down south with use of an old RAF base.

There are some other sites/events that are non-milsim and/or 24 hour that are worth a mention imo for something a little different:

Predator Combat Games in Northern Ireland - who have a weekend event coming up soon. Everyone should experience a Predator weekend event. They're awesome.

Fireball Squadron in Birmingham - awesome site and the event I attended was outstandingly run. Not milsim, but a lot of fun with your mates. Not sure if they've got a weekender event on this year.

Brit-Tac airsoft: whilst I shall add the disclaimer that I used to marshal for them, I think I can safely say that they have a fantastic reputation and are generally very well-organised with good event scenarios. Even when the MOD dumps on them, they somehow manage to turn it all around through sheer determination. Not milsim per-se but you'll find a lot of the restrictions & requirements that one might find at an event advertised as milsim. They've had several dates pulled this year by the MOD and given that I no longer marshal for them I've not been paying attention to their goins-on so I have no idea what's going on for weekend events this year. They keep their facebook page up to date so any news will be up in short order.

* 36 hours billed, not necessarily 36 hours played. I've heard from subsequent events that they can be somewhat tardy with event start times

Thanks again for all the info & advise, plenty to look into.

Has anybody on here tried the War-zone events at all?

• Advertisement

darman28 wrote: »
    Has anybody on here tried the War-zone events at all?

Quite keen to attend an event myself although not sure if I'll be able to make the September one. I've heard mostly positives and they are quite a new company that really only appeared last year or early this year. I'll check through the grape-vine for any better feedback on them.

Lemming wrote: »
    Quite keen to attend an event myself although not sure if I'll be able to make the September one. I've heard mostly positives and they are quite a new company that really only appeared last year or early this year. I'll check through the grape-vine for any better feedback on them.

Ya I have been keeping an eye on their facebook page for a while now & been looking at a few youtube vids, seems like battlesim styled similar to TA events. Celebrated being running for a year last month. They have been running a Kosavo themed saga since they started.
    There seemed to be issues at their event they ran last Spring. From what I could gather via people posting on their facebook page the weather was really bad that weekend ( high winds & heavy rain), a lot of people seemed to leave mid way through the event. Also there seemed to be something else that happened that I couldn't figure out.
    There wasn't too much feedback about their event in June on their page to see how it went. Still keeping an open mind about them tho. Be interesting what you can hear about them, cheers Lemming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Unfortunately Combat Airsoft Group have decided to suspend operations until further notice.

I had hoped to go to an event by these guys next year, as the feedback from their previous ones was excellent.

https://www.facebook.com/combatairsoftgroup/?fref=ts

I feel unable to attend any War-Zone events until they stop calling the green faction the Serbian Army. It's not like there's a complete dearth of fictitious names they could use instead. If this doesn't matter to you, and you like pyro, their events seem to be pretty good (apart from the one that more-or-less collapsed last year).

Still no definite sign of Tier 1 coming back either :(

Advertisement