Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and Advice for a newbie.

• 06-07-2016 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Newbie here and looking for advice and any possible insight into where to play for my first time. I have never played before and there are 5 spots well within driving distance in Dublin (listed below). If anyone has any tips, which is a good location to play for a 1st timer (indoor or outdoor) please let me know.

Fingal Airsoft
    Red Barn
    The Hive
    Tallaght CQB
    Rathbeggan

Cheers everyone.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭shytan

There is also Redhills in Kildare and SIM-TAC in Meath.I dont think Rathbeggan is still in operation but I am open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Redhills is a great spot, friendly staff and regulars and cracking site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DawgBig

Thanks guys, any tips other than rock up and have fun? Ankle boots a must ive been told. 1st time would you recommend indoor or outdoor?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

DawgBig wrote: »
    Thanks guys, any tips other than rock up and have fun? Ankle boots a must ive been told. 1st time would you recommend indoor or outdoor?

Good ankle boots at a minimum.

It depends on what your looking for game wise I personally prefer outdoor sites you can play at a slower pace while your finding your feet so to say.
    Pick up good eye protection first and foremost and a pair of gloves would be on my list .
    When it comes to guns try before you buy at retailer to see what suits you and ask questions when your out you will find the majority of people to be very friendly and helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Mastercolm

The Hive in Tallaght is great. I wouldn't recommend Tallaght CQB to a beginner as it is very tight and most of the players there are superb so you would be at a disadvantage. I playe at fingal for my first time and I think that is what helped me get so much into the sport so I recommend Fingal or The hive. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Mastercolm wrote: »
    The Hive in Tallaght is great. I wouldn't recommend Tallaght CQB to a beginner as it is very tight and most of the players there are superb so you would be at a disadvantage. I playe at fingal for my first time and I think that is what helped me get so much into the sport so I recommend Fingal or The hive. Thanks

I thought it best to add here rather than start a new topic but I am going to a stagg this weekend and will be having a go at airspft for the first time. Going to the hive in Tallaght. I have some stupid questions like what should I wear? A friend said to wear my old skateboarding elbow pads and knee pads, is he right? What do they provide and what do I need to bring myself?

What should I expect? Should I layer up like a wimp and try and soak up the hits with clothes or something?

Work pant or combats would be ideal and a hoodie or fleece, the knee pads are not a bad idea, there is nothing worse than kneeling on a bb.
    Airsoft is not really that painful so no need to go mad with layers, and too many will have you over heat.
    Full finger cycling gloves would be worth bringing.

thermo wrote: »
    Work pant or combats would be ideal and a hoodie or fleece, the knee pads are not a bad idea, there is nothing worse than kneeling on a bb.
    Airsoft is not really that painful so no need to go mad with layers, and too many will have you over heat.
    Full finger cycling gloves would be worth bringing.

Boots or similar footware with good ankle support would be good too.

thermo wrote: »
    Boots or similar footware with good ankle support would be good too.

Was going to ware some hiking boots, reckon that should do it.

Have cycling gloves too so that's sorted.

Not sure if I have combats any more will have to dig through the wardrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Mastercolm

If your going to the hive you can wear blue overalls that they have but I do not recommend them as it gets very hot and you will be uncomfortable and not enjoy the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Fingal Airsoft
    Lovely site to play on, great players and great marshalls. After Simtac probably my favorite outdoor site just for the terrain.
    Red Barn
    Nice site. When I started out I used to go here a lot but found they never really did full day's as apposed to half days so we stopped going there but its been over a year at this stage so it could have changed.
    The Hive
    Your safe bet when it comes to wet days however it has a lot more inexperienced players and probably more prone to people not taking their shots. Either way its a good one to keep on your lest because you never know what way the weather will turn.

I haven't been to the other two so who knows.

Just wanted to comment and say I had a fantastic time at the Hive. Didnt get a chance to pickup my knee pads in the end. Went with combats and a hoody but wore the overalls as well, hood up to protect the back of the head, ears and nec with their masks covering the front and my hiking boots. Also cycling gloves on the hands which were a bit of a pain winding the mag.

Was baking alright and glad to go outside between games to cool off. Hoody was drenched in sweat by the end of the day but what a lot of fun I had. Looking forward to doing it again sometime. Few bruises on my shoulder from trying to be a hero but thats part of the game. Have had much worse from paintballing. Thanks for the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Few bruises on my shoulder from trying to be a hero but thats part of the game.

I used to get this when I started playing at the start. I was wearing black combat pants, hoodie and a tshirt with a tac vest.

I found that moving to a baggier outfit really helped with reducing any marks from getting shot and the combats really help with that.

Advertisement