Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone been to Porto, Portugal?

Options
  • 10-07-2016 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife and I are considering it for a few days in November as a city break. Has anyone been there? Is there much to see and do?

Cheers for ANY info:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

I've been twice, both times for the Sao Joao festival, which I would highly recommend. First time for a week, second was the tail end of a trip to Lisbon.

Going in November makes it slightly less pleasant to be there, it's really a city for getting out and around in the warmth of the sun. We went on a river cruise, and went on a guided tour through a national park. Oh also had a tour taking in one of the port producers. We drank a lot of port and stocked up on the way home. There's a great little port house where you can sample, very knowledgeable staff. If you're interested I can try see if I can find the name of the place.

It's not a very big place, so maybe have a look if there's anything on around the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

I've been twice, both times for the Sao Joao festival, which I would highly recommend. First time for a week, second was the tail end of a trip to Lisbon.

Going in November makes it slightly less pleasant to be there, it's really a city for getting out and around in the warmth of the sun. We went on a river cruise, and went on a guided tour through a national park. Oh also had a tour taking in one of the port producers. We drank a lot of port and stocked up on the way home. There's a great little port house where you can sample, very knowledgeable staff. If you're interested I can try see if I can find the name of the place.

It's not a very big place, so maybe have a look if there's anything on around the time.

Cheers for the info, that's very useful! We haven't actually haven't booked anywhere yet, just looking for a cheap city break for the week of 31st October :) We are open to other suggestions too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I'm there now, and for some strange reason, I can't sleep, as there seem to be a lot of people cheering and blowing car horns at the moment. It might have subsided a little by November, though!

Only arrived today and first impression is that it's cheap. Went to a lovely restaurant last night: http://www.restauranteginjal.com/
    had starter, main course, wine and coffee for under 20 euros. Lovely lovely food.

Will be able to tell you more in a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Coimbra is worth a visit. The university students go around the town in the robes .

Lucena wrote: »
    I'm there now, and for some strange reason, I can't sleep, as there seem to be a lot of people cheering and blowing car horns at the moment. It might have subsided a little by November, though!

Only arrived today and first impression is that it's cheap. Went to a lovely restaurant last night: http://www.restauranteginjal.com/
    had starter, main course, wine and coffee for under 20 euros. Lovely lovely food.

Will be able to tell you more in a couple of days.

Wow, thanks for replying, it would be great to hear about your experiences! The athmosphere must have been amazing last night!!! Obviously things would be a little different there in November :) Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

• Advertisement

Coimbra is worth a visit. The university students go around the town in the robes .

Thanks for that mate :)

Just be aware, November will be cold, just like here.:)

Just be aware, November will be copd, just like here.:)

What exactly do you mean by 'copd' :D

What exactly do you mean by 'copd' :D

Typo on phone....meant cold:)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elysium321

I was in Porto for a long weekend and it wasn't long enough. We did loads (segway city tour, port wine cellars visits, sight-seeing, river cruise, beach walk) and still only half of what we wanted to do. I definitely recommend it. But I would see it (like some previous posters) more of a summer destination.

• Advertisement

elysium321 wrote: »
    I was in Porto for a long weekend and it wasn't long enough. We did loads (segway city tour, port wine cellars visits, sight-seeing, river cruise, beach walk) and still only half of what we wanted to do. I definitely recommend it. But I would see it (like some previous posters) more of a summer destination.

Cheers for that, I think we are reconsidering it based on this kind of feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

There's still stuff to do all year round, but yeah, I'd imagine the river cruises wouldn't be as nice as in the summer, but having said that the weather never really gets that cold.

We did a port cellar visit for a tenner, interesting enough and three decent (size and quality) glasses of port at the end with an explanation of the differences between them.

There's a famous bookshop that apparently inspired some of the visuals in the Harry Potter films:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=porto+bookshop+lello&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs2rXpjqHOAhVC1hoKHVJLAecQ_AUICSgC&biw=1366&bih=646

We only found out about it after seeing the queues to get in. It's 3 euros in, I'd imagine you'd want to go early to avoid the crowds though.

FC Porto are also based there, you might be able to take in a game.

Town itself is nice to wander around, lots of nice old buildings.

All in all, it's a fairly cheap destination, and I'll try to go back at some stage.

My one turn-off would be the omnipresence of tellies, even in restaurants! Although generally not in the upmarket ones, though.

Lucena wrote: »
    There's still stuff to do all year round, but yeah, I'd imagine the river cruises wouldn't be as nice as in the summer, but having said that the weather never really gets that cold.

We did a port cellar visit for a tenner, interesting enough and three decent (size and quality) glasses of port at the end with an explanation of the differences between them.

There's a famous bookshop that apparently inspired some of the visuals in the Harry Potter films:

https://www.google.fr/search?q=porto+bookshop+lello&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs2rXpjqHOAhVC1hoKHVJLAecQ_AUICSgC&biw=1366&bih=646

We only found out about it after seeing the queues to get in. It's 3 euros in, I'd imagine you'd want to go early to avoid the crowds though.

FC Porto are also based there, you might be able to take in a game.

Town itself is nice to wander around, lots of nice old buildings.

All in all, it's a fairly cheap destination, and I'll try to go back at some stage.

My one turn-off would be the omnipresence of tellies, even in restaurants! Although generally not in the upmarket ones, though.

GREAT info here thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sharon007

Hi to all,

Am I correct in saying that there are different districts in Porto? Where is the best one to stay? We'd like a nice hotel close to cafes/bars/restaurants etc. We understand it's a relatively small city but would hate to get there to realise we'd prefer a different district, we definitely don't want to hire a car with all the port and wine tasting on offer !

Any good up to date restaurant/bar tips would be gratefully received,

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The city is basically two cities on opposite sides of the river. - Porto to the north of the Douro river, and Vila Nova de Gaia (Gaia) to the south of the river. Effectively, it is one city.

It's a very steep city that drops down to the river on both sides. There are lots of restaurants and cafes on both sides of the river, and the majority of port houses are spread out along the southern river bank. The city centre is touristy (as you'd expect) but it is very nice.

The hills are an important aspect to consider when choosing your hotel, as otherwise you'll find yourself getting a lot of exercise! When we visited, we stayed close to the river bank in the Hotel Carrís Porto Ribeira-Porto. It's a modern hotel in a beautifully restored old building. But there are lots others to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sharon007

Thanks so much for your prompt reply; I think I fancy a hotel on the southside, is the city centre north or south of the river please?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The commercial part of the city centre is on the north, which is where we stayed. That way we were looking South onto the river & the port houses from our bedroom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'll be going there in the not too distance future! I'd like to do a day trip to the Douro valley. We don't want to drive and I hear it's not as good just using public transport, so I think an organised day trip is the way to go.

Anyone have any websites they'd recommendation for booking? Viator has traditionally been my go to site for these things, but I've found their customer service very poor (practically non-existent). I see AirBnB are doing "experiences" now in addition to accommodation and I can book it for a good bit cheaper on there compared to Viator.

Or would we be better off just trying to book it from a tourist office when we're over there? What would be a reasonable price to pay?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

A friend is going there next week with his partner, I'll ask if he can suss that for ya ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Haha thanks... we actually decided to book the douro valley tour on airbnb a few hours before you posted! It's definitely at the more affordable end of the scale from what I've seen online (63euro instead of ~100euro...), but we can get a refund up to 7 days ahead of time. So if your friend comes back with any local knowledge that would be great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Heading to Porto for 3 nights at the beginning of September.

Any recommendations for nice Cafes/Bars/Restaurants please?

Plan on doing a boat tour on the river and lots of walking

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Restaurants:

Brasao - https://www.brasao.pt/en/ - there are a couple of them now, but been to the one up off Av dos Aliados

Taberninha do Manel - Tapas, just over the other other side of the river in Vila Nova de Gaia - https://taberninhadomanel.comportugal.com/

Cantina 32 - https://www.cantina32.com/en/

Looking for high end. - Vinum at Grahams Port house - www.vinumatgrahams.com

Cheap and Cheerful market with loads of options - www.mercadobomsucesso.pt

TBH the locals restaurants (full of tv's) where they cook over fire are well worth trying out. and while there make sure you have a Francesinha. It's the local speciality. I like the one at Braso.

Bars:

Down along the water front at Cais da Ribeira load of bars over looking the river - ditto for the other side in Vila Nova de Gaia

Up around R. de Cândido dos Reis - load of bars

Out about Foz - loads of bars and restaurants (out by the sea)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Many thanks

Advertisement