Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter V: Despite all his ragé he's still just a rat in a Kage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/754921916683608064

"Fun fact: Fuudo was required to use the "Story 1" costume [for R.Mika] after his first match because the default was deemed too revealing by ESPN."
    -JP/ENG translator for Fuudo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Surely the underboob is more revealing?

Though it has less ass I suppose.

They're lucky there was no Story Laura in top eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Surely the underboob is more revealing?

Though it has less ass I suppose.

They're lucky there was no Story Laura in top eight.

"And we're getting word now... yes, yes. OK.

Sorry folks, it seems that one of our Top 8 has had to mysteriously drop out."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

tumblr_oai2lctOgH1qi167bo1_400.png
    tumblr_oai2lctOgH1qi167bo2_1280.png
    tumblr_oai2lctOgH1qi167bo3_1280.png
    tumblr_oai2lctOgH1qi167bo4_1280.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I read those tweets in Gief's voice for some reason

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Really beautiful costume yo!
    I think having both transparent parts is a bit excessive, but it's still a great thing.
    It does bug me how Chun/Cammy/girls have so many more costumes than the male cast.
    All the recent costumes have been really nice. Spread the love!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Agree with Sairus, I feel the whole swimwear and revealing outfits sort of sullies the game. Tacky way of making money, pretty much stooping as low as DOA.

The outfits overall have been hit and miss, but above all I think they are too expensive, won't pay full price for costumes that are not for my main, they should €1.50 to €2.00 at most.

The only DLC I want now is Bison's classic SF II stage. Best stage ever, I'd also like to get the EX. colours for him but Capcom have stupidly locked them behind region and platform restrictions.

Oh well at least they didn't mess up the Juri release trailer.

Let's just put everyone in summer outfits.
    ssf4ae___abel___mankini_mod_by_zomoron-d6l6zi0.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement

When's Oro beach costume? (NSFW I guess!)
    CoDCjaCUEAAYkzj.png

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

On the topic of anti airing, I was in the capcom panel when a slightly excited gentleman got up and asked the question about why the AA risk reward is so skewed (the way he asked it made him look like a massive dick, but that's beside the point).

Combofiend's response was basically that people haven't really learned to correctly AA in SFV yet. Apparently we're all supposed to be doing CC heavy AAs into combos. If people are scared by the bigger damage, they'll jump less or empty jump.

This is actually something I try to do with Necalli all the time, however as mentioned by other people the 8 frames do make you scared to do it, and if you're late you're eating a huge combo.

They also heavily implied they're aware people hate the 8 frame situation and will more than likely patch it out post 2016 Capcom Cup season.

When they announced the colours would be purchasable they didn't make it clear FM could be used. There was a serious grumble in the room for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Combofiend's response was basically that people haven't really learned to correctly AA in SFV yet. Apparently we're all supposed to be doing CC heavy AAs into combos

Damn, I knew I should've been using my 12f su cc poke to AA this entire time
    8FRAMES

Nash, ryu AAs work perfectly fine, its the disparity of decent AAs amongst characters thats a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

They also heavily implied they're aware people hate the 8 frame situation and will more than likely patch it out post 2016 Capcom Cup season.

And there's the problem. 6 months at least waiting for a patch to finally fix the eight-frame delay for the sake of CPT is ridiculous, testing the patience of the vast majority of the player base. They should have at least attempted to reduce of the visual delay, even if were one or two frames less, for a patch after EVO. There's always a bit of a lull in FG events post EVO so it would have been the perfect time to have a go at it.

Instead, we're getting Juri and over-priced costumes. Again.

Macal wrote: »
    And there's the problem. 6 months at least waiting for a patch to finally fix the eight-frame delay for the sake of CPT is ridiculous, testing the patience of the vast majority of the player base. They should have at least attempted to reduce of the visual delay, even if were one or two frames less, for a patch after EVO. There's always a bit of a lull in FG events post EVO so it would have been the perfect time to have a go at it.

Instead, we're getting Juri and over-priced costumes. Again.

They were never, ever going to do major game changing patches once the year began to be fair to them. Evo, as far as the money is concerned, is just a step on the road to CPT finals- and major balance changes that, for example, badly effected infiltration would certainly bring about cries of corruption.

Aye, as awful as the 8frames are, I fully agree with them not changing that mid CPT season. The game was clearly designed at least on some levels with that delay in mind. Just straight up turning it off has a massive chance of causing huge unforseen problems.

re: colors being purchasable with FM, I still don't really see that as a proper solution at all, unless they are far cheaper than anything else currently in the store.
    Survival is the primary means of getting colors AND fight money. People are complaining Survival is too much of a grind to unlock colors, but even if you can now buy them with fight money, you still need to do survival to get that fight money. This hasn't actually fixed the problem. It's just made the problem slightly more manageable if you really only want very specific things from the store.

Another point is that it's pretty fine to unlock colors/costumes/whatever on a per character basis in FPSs and MOBAs because in those games it's just you alone on your machine that pays the game. However with fighters, there is a strong chance you'll be playing it on the couch with others. Walling off colors and costumes for their characters has a much bigger impact on making the game feel locked off and frustrating.

Nobody would complain about the input lag being reduced mid CPT season.

Daily challenges were supposed to be the way we'd all get Fight Money, but no sign of those.

They should really allow Fight Money Matches in lobbies.

Nobody would complain about the input lag being reduced mid CPT season.

Seriously chopper, have you ever gone on twitter or youtube? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Combofiend's point about people "not AAing properly" is really dumb. Not all characters have AA CC buttons. Even those that do, it's arguably way worse to do a very slow normal as an AA in the hopes it will CC, and especially with the 8 frames it's even worse doing said 10f+ startup normals as AAs. Once someone jumps in, the onus is 100% on you to anti air, thus making it skewed because the 8 frames is impinging one person more so than it is the other, in that given moment. In fact, if you strictly used slow CC normals as AAs in those situations, you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage a huge majority of the time. Some characters with great CC AA buttons already have invincible DPs or other reliable AAs, so in places, his argument becomes moot. It's not about AAing properly, it's about the reliability of anti airs in this game, 8f making AAs harder, and about jumping being too good, in a general. Good luck doing AA CC normals vs Ryu's j.lk for example :pac:

I feel like Combofiend pulled a strawman and didn't really address the question being asked, but more so a completely different and unrelated argument. The problem is that AAs in this game are really weirdly dispersed (some characters have too many/cover too many angles, some have decent ones that cover some angles, some have terrible AAs). Ryu, Chun, Necalli, Sim etc, all characters with amazing anti airs, for example. The risk reward on jumping at people in this game is actually worth it at times, in most matchups. 8F + poor anti air distribution makes this so. In some matchups, it's actually smart to jump at characters with poor anti airs, or poor meterless anti airs, etc. It's really skewed that way. AA jabs are also really dumb because the characters with sick AA lights already have amazing anti airs as is, plus these same character have super quick dashes. Lights as anti airs = super reliable in every situation and they net a free mixup. I'm all for punishing people for jumping, but it feels like it's not fairly distributed.

Within the first few days of playing SF5, it was really apparent that strong AA game = strong character, almost immediately. It seems like this is so. Take any character people hail as strong; Nash, Ryu, Chun, Necalli, etc, they're strong on their own merit but the amazing AA ability of these characters is a huge factor into why they're so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Just out of curiousity, how many frames of input lag did Street Fighter 2, 3 and 4 have?

What about 3D fighters like Tekken and VF and them?

Just out of curiousity, how many frames of input lag did Street Fighter 2, 3 and 4 have?

I know 3S has 4 frames. Dunno about the rest though.

Super Turbo 3.5-4 frames (CPS2)
    3rd Strike 4 frames (CPS3)
    The Alpha games should be around the same as well.

Bare in mind that those games were played on CRT monitors which had no additional input lag. Were as IV and V are played on laggier LCD monitors.

Street Fighter 4 had many versions, from my understanding the Xbox version ran the quickest at around 5.1 frames, the PS3 version was about 1 frame slower while the PS4 version after it was patched was close to the PS3 version. The arcade version I think was in between the Xbox 360 and PS3 version. However there was two different arcade cabinets one of which had an additional frame of input lag due to have a different monitor. The PC version had the most input lag outside of the unpatched PS4 version. This doesn't factor in additional lag caused by your monitor. Even the very best monitor will add over half a frame of input lag.

However PC users could switch off V-Sync to reduce input lag to around about 3.5 frames if they didn't mind putting up with screen tearing. They could also use G-Sync or Free Sync monitors to achieve the same input lag as no v-sync and not have to deal with screen tearing.

In SF V PC users no longer have the ability to turn off V-Sync but they could still use G-Sync/FreeSync monitors to shave off at least 2 frames off the input lag/

360 SFV had 5 approx.

On launch, PS4 USFIV had 8 frames of lag and it was unplayable if you were used to 360. I remember Ladno watching me playing and he thought I was taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

So the issue isn't necessarily that it's 8 frames, moreso that it's 3 frames more than we had gotten used to?

The lag struggle is real. I was playing Alex Kid on the master system on my HD TV, and constantly dying on level 1. I thought I just sucked or the game was very hard.

Later I tried the same game on a CRT and breezed through half the game on a single life.

I know that's display lag which isn't the same as input lag, but still, it was the difference between being unplayably difficult and trivially easy.

I have two monitors.

And old but at the time expense and high end S-PVA monitor. Its picture quality is the much better of the two but it has a whopping 64ms input lag or 4 frames.

My cheaper TN panel has 20ms input lag, or 1.25 frames. Difference is night and day.

The lowest input lag on any type of LCD is about 10ms, less than 1 frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

So the issue isn't necessarily that it's 8 frames, moreso that it's 3 frames more than we had gotten used to?

Eh yeah, aka it's 8 frames. :pac:

The reason people love to spam the number is cause it's outrageously high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

8 frames or not the fact you can anti air someone 4 times in a row and it's still in thier interest to jump in until it eventually hits needs to change.

Hopefully big changes come after the tour, get that input lag down, 4 feels so much snappier and responsive when you alternate between it and 5, change standing lights so they don't act so well as antiairs, buff the CC antiairs, buff some characters mid range normals to help them keep space. Too many characters have the exact same gameplan but are shallow and imo boring in that it's the same 2/3 combos/sequences.

They need to allow people to be creative with the characters not have it so locked down to 'this is Ryu, this is exactly how he should be played' with very little room for any sort of expression

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Danonino. wrote: »
    locked down to 'this is Ryu, this is exactly how he should be played'

That's kind of his thing though isn't it? :P

I don't mind the jab anti airs; in fact I love having it:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Rob2D wrote: »
    That's kind of his thing though isn't it? :P

I don't mind the jab anti airs; in fact I love having it:pac:

Yeah ha ha kind of a bad example, I find it hard to explain. It's all so dry. I get what they wanted to do, have the character styles set in stone so you fight the player not the character, so that execution isn't a barrier to an extent but it's led to the game having an overly structured feel.

Like breaking from that defined playstyle is not an option either cause it simply doesn't exist or damage is so scewed to following the set punish/combo/hit confirm that else is gimping yourself for no reward.

I could be alone in thinking that though or Sim especially being who I've played could suffer more than others.

Juri seems fun, has a hard time with no charge (V skill or kicks) getting stuff started but she builds meter so fast there's usually something to go for or change up.

Advertisement