Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Junior Rugby [Social Rugby] Season 2016/2017

• 21-07-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

General discussion thread for all Junior Rugby - be it J1 senior rugby or social level J4/J5/J6 etc!
    Pre season is about to begin! If you have any questions about junior rugby or are thinking of joining a local club, here's a good place to get info.

http://oldwesley.ie/junior-festival-returns-after-10-years/
    Old Wesley are running, on September 10th, a Festival which will consist of a series of 20 minute matches involving 8 teams at Metro
    Division 4 level and below. Old Wesley will field 2 teams and there will be 6 other invited clubs.

Divisions 1-4 are set with fixtures decided. Remaining divisions especially the very social divisions 9/10/11 will be decided later next month as teams know numbers etc

Division 1: Old Wesley 2, UCD 2, Old Belvedere 2, Terenure 2, Lansdowne 2
    Clontarf 2, St Marys 2, Blackrock College 2

Division 2: Clontarf 3, St Marys 3, MU Barnhall 2, Naas 2, Lansdowne 3, Seapoint 2, Greystones 2, Dublin University 2

Division 3: Old Belvedere 3, Wanderers 2, Terenure 3, Stillorgan 1, Tullamore 2, Bective Rangers 2, Old Wesley 3, Navan 2

Division 4: Bective Rangers 3, Skerries 2, St Marys 4, Lansdowne 4, UCD 3, Rathdrum 1, Boyne 2, Blackrock College 3

Division 5: Wanderers 3, Naas 3, Terenure 4, Greystones 3, MU Barnhall 3, Old Wesley 4, CYM 1, Clontarf 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,665 ✭✭✭✭phog

General discussion thread for all Junior Rugby - be it J1 senior rugby or social level J4/J5/J6 etc!
    Pre season is about to begin! If you have any questions about junior rugby or are thinking of joining a local club, here's a good place to get info.

Such a pity you hadn't the same thoughts on the B&I Cup thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Some clubs beginning to list pre season start dates
    Bective Rangers: Wednesday 3rd August 2016 7pm in Donnybrook...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

http://oldwesley.ie/junior-festival-returns-after-10-years/
    Old Wesley are running, on September 10th, a Festival which will
    consist of a series of 20 minute matches involving 8 teams at Metro
    Division 4 level and below. Old Wesley will field 2 teams and there will
    be 6 other invited clubs.

Divisions 1-4 are set with fixtures decided. Remaining divisions especially the very social divisions 9/10/11 will be decided later next month as teams know numbers etc

Division 1: Old Wesley 2, UCD 2, Old Belvedere 2, Terenure 2, Lansdowne 2
    Clontarf 2, St Marys 2, Blackrock College 2

Division 2: Clontarf 3, St Marys 3, MU Barnhall 2, Naas 2, Lansdowne 3, Seapoint 2, Greystones 2, Dublin University 2

Division 3: Old Belvedere 3, Wanderers 2, Terenure 3, Stillorgan 1, Tullamore 2, Bective Rangers 2, Old Wesley 3, Navan 2

Division 4: Bective Rangers 3, Skerries 2, St Marys 4, Lansdowne 4, UCD 3, Rathdrum 1, Boyne 2, Blackrock College 3

Division 5: Wanderers 3, Naas 3, Terenure 4, Greystones 3, MU Barnhall 3, Old Wesley 4, CYM 1, Clontarf 4

Naas in Division 5 has clusterf**k written all over it with Friday night games.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Naas in Division 5 has clusterf**k written all over it with Friday night games.
    Surely clubs can change it. Some fixtures in that league are Sundays so its not like they'd be only ones with Sunday games if they moved them.
    Up to clubs to talk to Dermot O Mahoney etc in the branch.

Surely clubs can change it. Some fixtures in that league are Sundays so its not like they'd be only ones with Sunday games if they moved them.
    Up to clubs to talk to Dermot O Mahoney etc in the branch.

It's predominantly been a Friday night league for the last two years anyway. Mind you Naas may not have floodlights. I see Barnhall are in there too, that's another pain in the hoop away game. I know it helps with refs but the Fridays cause us to struggle to field as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Interesting to see the 3 clubs with historically the strongest Junior teams are in Div 1 and 2 already. I had thought it would take longer but always thought it would happen. I'll be interested to see if the Gick or OB can get up.

It's predominantly been a Friday night league for the last two years anyway. Mind you Naas may not have floodlights. I see Barnhall are in there too, that's another pain in the hoop away game. I know it helps with refs but the Fridays cause us to struggle to field as it is.
    Whats the alternative that's workable?
    Naas def have floodlights. I know traffics a concern but it just shows differences in the citys compared to elsewhere you call Naas/Barnhall a pain in the hoop to get to when distance wise theyre not far at all when you look at what most players/clubs have to deal with..
    Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Interesting to see the 3 clubs with historically the strongest Junior teams are in Div 1 and 2 already. I had thought it would take longer but always thought it would happen. I'll be interested to see if the Gick or OB can get up.
    I would doubt any more thirds sides will get up to division 2. Tough difficult.

Would Stillorglin ever look to move to the junior leagues and attempt to go senior or are they happy to just play metro rugby playing j1 there with no possibility to going up to the AIL? Anyone know?

Ye, I'd imagine it will be stillorgan or Bective more likely Bective.

I think they're probably happy where they are. Tullamore is probably the only trip that is a bit of a trek for them. Leinster league would make things far more difficult in terms or commutes etc.

Whats the alternative that's workable?
    Naas def have floodlights. I know traffics a concern but it just shows differences in the citys compared to elsewhere you call Naas/Barnhall a pain in the hoop to get to when distance wise theyre not far at all when you look at what most players/clubs have to deal with

There probably isn't an alternative, or there doesn't seem to be. I assume the issue is getting enough referees. Since we used to manage to play all games from firsts to J7's without having Friday night games. The branch do their best, I'm not complaining about that end of things, just looking at it and going meh! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Always interesting to see clubs ambitions at junior level, some clubs and no coincidence that they are also strong senior clubs, push to play in top league possible. Others only stay in divisions they think they can win and don't want to get to a higher level. Senior clubs in divisions 1a & 1b with 2nd & 3rd teams in Division 4 & below tend to favour on field results rather than improving quality of players. Senior clubs should be encouraging their teams to play in the highest leagues possible.

• Advertisement

There probably isn't an alternative, or there doesn't seem to be. I assume the issue is getting enough referees. Since we used to manage to play all games from firsts to J7's without having Friday night games. The branch do their best, I'm not complaining about that end of things, just looking at it and going meh! ;)
    The game has completely changed in every way from the days when clubs could field all teams like the way you describe. Unfortunately those days are lost and wont come back.
    ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Always interesting to see clubs ambitions at junior level, some clubs and no coincidence that they are also strong senior clubs, push to play in top league possible. Others only stay in divisions they think they can win and don't want to get to a higher level. Senior clubs in divisions 1a & 1b with 2nd & 3rd teams in Division 4 & below tend to favour on field results rather than improving quality of players. Senior clubs should be encouraging their teams to play in the highest leagues possible.
    Any clubs in particular stand out?
    There is very few 1A/B sides with 3rds below division 4, I think, and the 2 I think that do have their 3rds below division 4 are Naas and DUFC. Of course clubs should be encouraging their teams to play at highest level possible. But only division 1 sides who are quite different to rest of the Leinster sides. 1 is a university side and even with it being an open club, DUFC will not have same player numbers etc as other clubs and then Naas are only leinster division 1 side from outside of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

The game has completely changed in every way from the days when clubs could field all teams like the way you describe. Unfortunately those days are lost and wont come back.

Any clubs in particular stand out?
    There is very few 1A/B sides with 3rds below division 4, I think, and the 2 I think that do have their 3rds below division 4 are Naas and DUFC. Of course clubs should be encouraging their teams to play at highest level possible. But only division 1 sides who are quite different to rest of the Leinster sides. 1 is a university side and even with it being an open club, DUFC will not have same player numbers etc as other clubs and then Naas are only leinster division 1 side from outside of Dublin

Looking at it from a neutral point of view with the aim of improving the standard of player and rugby in each club I would have thought that Wanderers, Tullamore & Navan 2nd teams should all be playing at least Division 2 along with Skerries 2nd team. Rathdrum & Boyne playing Division 3 and Naas 3rd team playing at least Division 4 even 3.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Looking at it from a neutral point of view with the aim of improving the standard of player and rugby in each club I would have thought that Wanderers, Tullamore & Navan 2nd teams should all be playing at least Division 2 along with Skerries 2nd team. Rathdrum & Boyne playing Division 3 and Naas 3rd team playing at least Division 4 even 3.
    Yes but the leagues were changed to help this and let teams find their own level. These sides aren't good enough to win promotion to be division 2 or 3. Navan 2nds won 1 game in division 3 last season for example.
    All clubs want to progress but that doesn't mean they are good enough.
    Tullamore simply wouldn't have depth to have a strong 2nds playing division 2. Theyre a mid to high division 3 side and that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

What's the situation say if Clontarf 3rds won division 2, I assume they're restricted from going up as they would be in the same division as seconds. In that instance would anyone go up?

Risteard wrote: »
    What's the situation say if Clontarf 3rds won division 2, I assume they're restricted from going up as they would be in the same division as seconds. In that instance would anyone go up?
    2nd place gets promoted and if second placed club is also in the higher division then no team is promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Would Stillorglin ever look to move to the junior leagues and attempt to go senior or are they happy to just play metro rugby playing j1 there with no possibility to going up to the AIL? Anyone know?

I'd imagine they couldn't afford to go AIL

There's a lot like that but they still play in the qualifying leagues.

There's a lot like that but they still play in the qualifying leagues.

I would have thought that the qualifying league with great distances to travel and expectations would lead to high costs than just a metro team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rugbyman80

Lads....Can we get a grip. Stillorgan would be a million miles away from getting into the AIL. They wouldnt be anywhere near the teams in division 1A of the Leinster League. A lower level 1B or the top of 2A would be there standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rugbyman80

Lads....Can we get a grip. Stillorgan would be a million miles away from getting into the AIL. They wouldnt be anywhere near the teams in division 1A of the Leinster League. A lower level 1B or the top of 2A would be their standard.

• Advertisement

rugbyman80 wrote: »
    Lads....Can we get a grip. Stillorgan would be a million miles away from getting into the AIL. They wouldnt be anywhere near the teams in division 1A of the Leinster League. A lower level 1B or the top of 2A would be their standard.
    In fairness I don't think anyone was suggesting they are AIL standard. The question was would they not go into the Leinster League so they would be on that pathway.

rugbyman80 wrote: »
    I never said they were close to getting to the AIL just wondered why they are not in the pathway to becoming an AIL club.

St Marys back next week. According to their facebook page
    All teams train twice a week on Monday's and Wednesday's at 7:30pm. J2/J3 run by Aaron Hudson and J4/J5 by Michael O'Flaherty. Matches for all teams from Friday to Sunday.

Full training resumes on Monday 15th August at 7:30pm. Players welcome night in the club on Saturday 20th August.

None of the more social divisions with fixtures yet. Will be few more weeks for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I never said they were close to getting to the AIL just wondered why they are not in the pathway to becoming an AIL club.

There's no reason for them to be. They are happy to play their games locally against other metro teams.
    There's other teams in metro who don't field in the LL too.

It would be a serious pain in the hoop if teams from Kildare, Meath, Wicklow and Wexford had to travel into Stillorgan every weekend. It's a ballache to get to from outside Dublin.

gaius c wrote: »
    There's no reason for them to be. They are happy to play their games locally against other metro teams.
    There's other teams in metro who don't field in the LL too.

It would be a serious pain in the hoop if teams from Kildare, Meath, Wicklow and Wexford had to travel into Stillorgan every weekend. It's a ballache to get to from outside Dublin.
    There has been many other clubs in the city whove played the qualifying leagues before and just querying why Stillorglin don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

They don't want to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 drzac

Hi,
    Clontarf Div 9 & 11 squad looking for a match this saturday 10th Sept.
    Any takers?
    thanks

Division 6 up now
    Guinness 1, Wanderers 4, Trinity 3, Tullamore 3, St Marys 5, Coolmine 3, Old Belvedere 4, MU Barnhall 4

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Div 7 is out too. We got our fixtures yesterday .

• Advertisement

Division 6
    Guinness 1, Wanderers 4, Trinity 3, Tullamore 3, St Marys 5, Coolmine 3, Old Belvedere 4, MU Barnhall 4

division 7
    Tallaght 1, UCD 4, Terenure 5, Seapoint 3, Navan 3, Blackrock 4, Old Belvedere 5, DLSP 3

division 9
    Parkmore 1, Trinity 4, Old Wesley 5, BGF Ravens 1, Coolmine, Clontarf 5, Bective Rangers 4, A.I.B 1

division 10
    Suttonians 3, Stillorgan 2, Old Belvedere 6, MU Barnhall 5, DLSP 4, Terenure 6, Monkstown 3, Malahide

Advertisement