Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a graphics tab for MAC

• 20-07-2016 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi folks

I am an artist and I usually create hand drawn images. I have mainly in the past used photoshop as I have just taken photographs of my work and then edited them that way... however thats somewhat outdated and I would like to start buffing my tech knowledge up , although illustrator has been around for some time I have only just started using it slowly replacing photoshop. And I would love to get a Graphics tab/pen to experience a different way of creating the digitalised images. Seems really fun and interactive. I have done abit of research and I have come across brands such as Huion, Wacom and Turcom? I don't know much about these brands and would be great to know what others use if they do ...and give me some tips... My price range is around 150-200 although I can go abit over but not loads. look forward to reponses! thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irieirie16

seems from my research Wacom is looking like the best bet... So I shall narrow it down to Wacom... so if anyone has any suggestions for Wacom then get in touch! cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

Wacom is very popular with a wide price range from entry level around 50 notes, all the way up to 2k+ for the Wacom Cintiq 27QHD Touch.

If starting out any used/cheap generic supermarket version may be the best path - just in case you don't get the grip of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TwoLeftFeet

I agree with the above post, if this is your first time to use a graphic tablet, I would start out with a cheap generic brand. If you get to like using it, then maybe in a few months time, upgrade to something more sophisticated. If you don't, it's only a small outlay. Wacom is very popular but the price range is from cheap to very expensive.

Hey folks , thanks for the suggestions! SO I have done some more research and it appears is that graphics tabs are input devices similar to a keyboard and mouse. Rather than communicating key strokes or clicks to the computer, a digitalising tab acts as a digital page or canvas. I would like the latter as it seems to fit the process of my art more ... drawing ... and comes with a pen to create the digital art on its surface. Also seems that there is a difference between direct and indirect pads....seems i want a direct pad as I can focus on the tab itself whilst drawing and indirect the computer screen...but could be could to have both if thats poss? I want a decent pen with it... can these be bought separately ? SO narrowing it down....Based on the fact I want a digitalising tab and a direct screen, can people suggest a wacom based on that? I dont want an uber cheap one.... something in between as I def need to start working with them and no doubt i will love it ! i dont want to pay 1000's for now of course but around 200 i willing to pay . cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

irieirie16 wrote: »
    Hey folks , thanks for the suggestions! SO I have done some more research and it appears is that graphics tabs are input devices similar to a keyboard and mouse. Rather than communicating key strokes or clicks to the computer, a digitalising tab acts as a digital page or canvas. I would like the latter as it seems to fit the process of my art more ... drawing ... and comes with a pen to create the digital art on its surface. Also seems that there is a difference between direct and indirect pads....seems i want a direct pad as I can focus on the tab itself whilst drawing and indirect the computer screen...but could be could to have both if thats poss? I want a decent pen with it... can these be bought separately ? SO narrowing it down....Based on the fact I want a digitalising tab and a direct screen, can people suggest a wacom based on that? I dont want an uber cheap one.... something in between as I def need to start working with them and no doubt i will love it ! i dont want to pay 1000's for now of course but around 200 i willing to pay . cheers

You're talking good bit more than €200 so if you want all of the above.

• Advertisement

Hey SO how much do you think because I can see that there are some small Wacom Intruos drawing and art range tabs going for 60-100 ...large 246... so not that bad! I guess the smaller ones would be good to start with....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

irieirie16 wrote: »
    Hey SO how much do you think because I can see that there are some small Wacom Intruos drawing and art range tabs going for 60-100 ...large 246... so not that bad! I guess the smaller ones would be good to start with....

The Intuos range don't have direct screen. If you want a Wacom with a direct screen you're talking €800 at least.

Advertisement