Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

• 22-07-2016 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As the old thread has passed the magical 10,000 post limit, it's time for a new thread. Cheers!

The previous threads can be found below:

First thread

Second thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Finally tried Yeastie Boys Digital IPA. Is that Nelson Sauvigne hop? Daaaaaammmn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yellowbelly Great For The Town.

Lovely drop.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Evil Twin Ashtray Heart. The only smoked beer I've had was Schlenkerla, so I was expecting something closer to that, but this is more lightly smoked which allowed the taste of the beer to come through better imo. Very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Had a lovely pint of Chieftain last night .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Alien Unicorn by soulwater.ie in Mother Macs Limerick. Nice session ale (4.7%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Mescan - Westport Kriek. Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Kinnegar Bucket and Spade, excellent and very drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Lots and lots of homebrew dunkel. Had a bbq yesterday and nearly depleted my entire stash. Belgian Summer Ale on deck in a few weeks. First brew of the year, hope I'm not too rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Galway Bay - Acid Mother

Lovely sourness off this with a sharp lime aftertaste. Lovely beer for a sunny afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

YellowBelly - Where Wally (yes, I know..)
    great beer, ..lovely and refreshing

Founder - Dirty Bastard.
    Got this bottle recently, but have reason to suspect it was out of date since late last year, i knew that when buying it....WOW...I like DB in date, but this is way better...need to stock up and put a few away for a year.

And union - Sunday.
    nice pale ale without being anything special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Drinking Buxton's DIPA, Kingmaker. It's fantastic. Huge taste of orange peels to start then it mellows out to a really soft but full bodied apricot. Lots of malt, nice bitterness and the 10.5% alcohol is completely masked. A winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Walla Walla from Kinnegar. Really nice. Just a touch of sourness with some lovely spice from the ginger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Any of you visited the Guinness Open Gate Brewery yet?

I presume there's no way of seeing what beers they have on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Trond wrote: »
    Any of you visited the Guinness Open Gate Brewery yet?

I presume there's no way of seeing what beers they have on?

Thread on it here.

Don't think they post their beer list online but you could keep an eye on Untappd check-ins to see what people have recently had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

irish_goat wrote: »
    Thread on it here.

Don't think they post their beer list online but you could keep an eye on Untappd check-ins to see what people have recently had there.

Thats a great idea thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Round 2 of Stone beers has arrived

RasTa wrote: »

Are they fresh? A bar in Derry got them in but I was suspicious and it was too busy to ask to see the best before dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Are they fresh? A bar in Derry got them in but I was suspicious and it was too busy to ask to see the best before dates.

Guessing so, round 1 was only a few days old when they arrived. They are appearing on twitter from the usual off license

RasTa wrote: »

IPA and Arrogant Bast*rd again, or some new ones?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I saw big cans of Arrogant Bastard nearby recently. Is it worth trying?

I'm enjoying a Caribbean Chocolate Cake this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    IPA and Arrogant Bast*rd again, or some new ones?
    Ruination, Cali-Belgique and Go-To.

An File wrote: »
    I'm enjoying a Caribbean Chocolate Cake this evening.

I absolutely love this, a brilliant stout.

A couple of people told me (against my better judgement) try McGargles Francis’ Big Bangin’ IPA. "No, this one is really good" they said.

Lies.

Grayditch wrote: »
    A couple of people told me (against my better judgement) try McGargles Francis’ Big Bangin’ IPA. "No, this one is really good" they said.

Lies.

but...it is! It's the only decent McGargles I've had.

It didn't feel good in my mouth, and that's primarily the place I need it to feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Lies.

Not this discussion again, it IS widely regarded as very nice, hard to find an IPA at such strength with such flavour for that price.

I wasn't involved in any discussion about it, so I'm gonna go ahead and give my two cents on it now. Not for me.

I wasn't involved in any discussion about it, so I'm gonna go ahead and give my two cents on it now. Not for me.

Nah that's fair enough. I was very skeptical when I was first handed it myself. Can't remember the mouthfeel being strange so you may have had a bad bottle.

Nah that's fair enough. I was very skeptical when I was first handed it myself. Can't remember the mouthfeel being strange so you may have had a bad bottle.

Very possible. It's happened before with beers. Not ruling out giving it another go at some stage, I guess but I was getting some very musty flavours especially towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Neither Francis nor Rosie keep well. Even within a couple of months of bottling they start to lose their essential hop character.

Advertisement