Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dry White Wine

• 21-07-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I have a friend visiting me here in Dublin over the weekend. She only likes very dry white wine. I am myself a passionate red wine drinker and have no clue what to get for her.

Do you know good value (up to 10 Euro) very dry white wine in Tesco or Supervalue? Can you also make a suggestion for sparkling wine?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sometimes the label at the back for white wine has a counter from 1-5, 1 being dry, so keep an eye out for that.

If there's an ALDI near you, check for these in their Exquisite collection:
    Australian Clare Valley Riesling
    Albarino (from Spain)

I think they are priced at €9-10.

Otherwise, I've never had a bad experience with white wine in Supervalu (reds a different matter), so I'm sure if you pick up a white in there for around €10 with a 1 on the label you should be grand.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If she likes dry white wine, then I'd recommend Cava or a Cremant for the sparkling. Prosecco might be too fruity/sweet for her.

In general most white wine is dry, meaning little residual sugar is left following fermentation. Does your friend perhaps mean crisp when she says dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

dudara wrote: »
    Does your friend perhaps mean crisp when she says dry?

yes, crisp describes it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The Alsace Riesling is dry. Can be a bit pricey though - around €20 a bottle. Alternatively a South African Chenin blanc worth a shot, dry and better priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ampleforth wrote: »
    yes, crisp describes it

Then I'd recommend a cold/cooler climate white wine, ie French SB, Vouvray, Chenin Blanc. A Riesling would be a good choice, but some can veer into fruity or off-dry territory, which doesn't sound like something your friend would like. And if you don't know the style of Riesling you're buying, then it can be risky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

dudara wrote: »
    Then I'd recommend a cold/cooler climate white wine, ie French SB, Vouvray, Chenin Blanc. A Riesling would be a good choice, but some can veer into fruity or off-dry territory, which doesn't sound like something your friend would like. And if you don't know the style of Riesling you're buying, then it can be risky.

Yeah it's true that the German Rieslings tend to be sweeter. For me an Alsace Riesling gives good mix of dryness and crispness. Also some nice New Zealand Rieslings as well.

OP some off licences have a few bottles open that you can taste, o'briens for sure and some of the Molloys as well if you're around Dublin.

Advertisement