Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi guys. I'm looking for instructions to download Windows 10 for my laptop.

Here my details about it so far.

My laptop is a Toshiba is a C50-B-137. I bought it in D.I.D Electrical in Stillorgan from July of two years ago. There is a 1TB hard drive in it. I currently have Windows 8.1 Professional on it as it's OS. It has a 64 bit hard drive in it. It is also my primary computer.

I have a USB stick for the upgrade. I just wanted to know how to download it through the stick. It has free space on it amounting to 3.74GB. Is that enough capacity for me to do the upgrade?

The laptop recently came back to me last weekend as it got a new replacement hard drive on warranty. I was playing a game on Steam 2 weeks ago. The frame rate on my screen crashed while I playing it for about an hour. All is good with it now. Would the the new hard drive be suitable to get the clean install of Windows 10 without any problems?

I have an Internet modem from Meteor. It is a Huawei E3131. It has an advertised speed of 7.2mbps.

How long would it take to get Windows 10 installed on that modem? Is the modem quick enough to complete the install?

I have a broadband allowance of 4.5GB left on a current 30 day pass. Is it just 3GB just for the upgrade only?

Do I have to upgrade drivers as well as installing W10?

Is it also OK to schedule the upgrade after the deadline of July 29th?

Any advice on this would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi guys. I'm looking for instructions to download Windows 10 for my laptop.

Here my details about it so far.

My laptop is a Toshiba is a C50-B-137. I bought it in D.I.D Electrical in Stillorgan from July of two years ago. There is a 1TB hard drive in it. I currently have Windows 8.1 Professional on it as it's OS. It has a 64 bit hard drive in it. It is also my primary computer.

I have a USB stick for the upgrade. I just wanted to know how to download it through the stick. It has free space on it amounting to 3.74GB. Is that enough capacity for me to do the upgrade?

The laptop recently came back to me last weekend as it got a new replacement hard drive on warranty. I was playing a game on Steam 2 weeks ago. The frame rate on my screen crashed while I playing it for about an hour. All is good with it now. Would the the new hard drive be suitable to get the clean install of Windows 10 without any problems?

I have an Internet modem from Meteor. It is a Huawei E3131. It has an advertised speed of 7.2mbps.

How long would it take to get Windows 10 installed on that modem? Is the modem quick enough to complete the install?

I have a broadband allowance of 4.5GB left on a current 30 day pass. Is it just 3GB just for the upgrade only?

Do I have to upgrade drivers as well as installing W10?

Is it also OK to schedule the upgrade after the deadline of July 29th?

Any advice on this would be great. Thanks.

If you're running 8.1 it should already be prompting you to upgrade? (Look for a little windows icon in the taskbar beside the clock) You can use this to upgrade from 8.1

To be honest I wouldn't think any of the 3G/4G dongles would be ideal for this sort of thing.. better to do it at a friend's house if they have fibre/decent BB and a high/unlimited usage limit.

After you install Win 10 it'll check for any subsequent patches, updates, drivers or indeed version updates. This may add on anything from a few hundred MB to a few GB... another reason to try and do it on fixed-line broadband/fibre.

Not sure what the arrangement would be if you schedule the install after the 29th but I suppose if you agree to the upgrade before that date it should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hello again. Just to give you an update; I actually have Windows 10 installed now without the need for a USB.

It was a long and slow process. Based on my internet speed; it took me about 3 hours to download & install Windows 10.

Do I need to do anything else since I have the product key fully activated on it for the last hour? (8:30pm to be precise)

All my files have been kept & saved which is a good start. I'm just installing the apps & MP3 collection right now.

Anything else for me to look out for when I'm here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

There are probably quite a few updates to be installed depending on what timestamp was on the version you downloaded. I would just leave it on for a while to allow the updates to catch up.

Bump for only 4 days left for the free upgrade, get in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Was very happy that my ancient P4 upgraded fine over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

long_b wrote: »
    Was very happy that my ancient P4 upgraded fine over the weekend.

How did you manage that? My P4 fails as it doesn't support nex.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,004 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just did mine, much same specs as dublinman, but a much better download speed and no restrictions, took about one and a half hours. No problems at all.

Well, except it took me ages to find the switch off button! Turns out it is now just a laconic 'power' listing in a list of other stuff.

Only some P4s support NX. The very late ones based on the Prescott core.

For example, the P4 530 doesn't but the 531 does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My Win8.1 still runs better than the W10 which I think is still buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium and I am having trouble downloading Windows 10.My PC will not restart when the downloading sequence requires it to.I am just 2 mins into the downloading process.Or should I stick with Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium and I am having trouble downloading Windows 10.My PC will not restart when the downloading sequence requires it to.I am just 2 mins into the downloading process.Or should I stick with Windows 7.

I found the download tool to be a better way to upgrade, I have used it on five PC's here without any issues.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10#

(If you press 'download tool now' it will give you the option of upgrading without creating a disc or a usb image)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

jca wrote: »
    How did you manage that? My P4 fails as it doesn't support nex.

It had been running 8.1 happily so I guess it must be a recent P4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I was having an issue where I couldnt get the display working on startup after upgrading. Turns out that as I have a switchable graphics card my main laptop screen was screen 2 and then external monitor was screen 3, when I unplugged the second monitor it wanted switch to screen 1 which was my other graphics card.

It appears however that my ATI4500 is not supported by windows 10? Any one know if there is a chance it ever will be or do I need to revert back to W7 in order to use this card?

EDIT: Just to clarify I got the laptop working on a single screen again by disabling the ATI card in Device Manager.

So apparently people have managed ot get ATI 4xxx series cards workingon Windows 10, been cutting it fine to upgrate. Can any one else help me install it and get the graphics cards working? What do I need to do?

Karsini wrote: »
    Only some P4s support NX. The very late ones based on the Prescott core.

For example, the P4 530 doesn't but the 531 does.

Is there any way around it or have I come to the end of the MS road with my trusty Dell? I haven't the heart to get rid of it:o

Is there any way around it or have I come to the end of the MS road with my trusty Dell? I haven't the heart to get rid of it:o
    Short of trying to upgrade the CPU (assuming that the motherboard supports it), there isn't really anything you can do. Windows 8 and later require the NX bit to be present or the OS doesn't even boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

I had Win 7 on my laptop - it died a few weeks ago, so got a new one with Win10.
    It took some getting used to - at first I thought it was Windows for children.
    I find it a bit intrusive - I prefer the internet on my terms.
    I'm sure I'll settle into it.
    It has frozen on me a couple of times - restarted ok.
    One home-made disaster: I installed an old game with Starforce on it. Had to follow the Windows instruction and do an OS reinstall - ok after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I've a fairly low powered Toshiba C50 with 10 on it. I only use occasionally for one job ( a spreadsheet type program). Just checking the history I notice that most of the updates since last September are marked 'failed to install'

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Anyone else not bothered with the Windows 10 upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I don't see the point in myself upgrading to windows 10 with forced adverts. Windows 7 does everything I need perfectly well, so why would anyone want to upgrade/downgrade to a less sturdy operating system. Windows 10 does nothing more than what I use now so there really is no point at all to install windows 10, pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Yep. My 6 year old Win7 Desktop and 3 year old Win7 Laptop are working perfectly fine and I expect at least one of them to be dead before Win7 support runs out :D.

I'm not bothering either. My laptop is running much better on 8.1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm not bothering either. My laptop is running much better on 8.1

I went from 8.1 to 10 and don't miss 8.1 one little bit. 10 is a leap in performance all round and especially in gaming. And if you are not bothering at all how do you know it's running better on 8.1 than 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

I don't see the point in myself upgrading to windows 10 with forced adverts.

Where is everyone getting this "forced adverts" thing from? I've been using Windows 10 since launch and I've yet to see any sort of adverts. I can't fault it at all really. Most of the criticisms I've seen are nothing more than scaremongering to be honest.

DeeTee100 wrote: »
    Where is everyone getting this "forced adverts" thing from? I've been using Windows 10 since launch and I've yet to see any sort of adverts. I can't fault it at all really. Most of the criticisms I've seen are nothing more than scaremongering to be honest.

But my question is - why would a person want to upgrade to an operating system that does the same as a previous one ? if a persons operating system like windows 7 does everything they need, then why upgrade ?.

But my question is - why would a person want to upgrade to an operating system that does the same as a previous one ? if a persons operating system like windows 7 does everything they need, then why upgrade ?.

Why do people buy new cars if they have brakes, clutch, wheels just like the old car?

degsie wrote: »
    Why do people buy new cars if they have brakes, clutch, wheels just like the old car?

Yeah, but you don't downgrade your car do you.

sugarman wrote: »
    Why bother with 7, when XP was fine?

7 is 7 years old already! Main stream support has ended for 7 already, extended support in 3 years.

There is very little in the ways of updates, after 3 years your OS will be a vulnerable without any security updates.

New software / apps is always developed with the latest OS in mind, so dont expect everything to work in 7.

Driver issues.

DX12 if youre a gamer.

Faster boot / load times.

Theres a host of reasons to upgrade. Its just stubbornness not to.

You are missing my point. At this time I personally have no reason to upgrade from win 7 to win 10, so why would I. When the windows definition files are stopped from win 7, then I will probably upgrade to a new operating system. Who knows, they might bring out a newer one after windows 10, never know.

I tried out windows 10 before and I wasn't really into it that much, but it's a working operating system so I'm sure it does the job. Too early for me to use 10, so maybe in 3 years I'll decide. Microsoft might extend the windows file updates for a few extra years seeing that the majority are using windows 7.

Well, if windows 10 works fine for you, then that's all that counts.

sugarman wrote: »
    And you are missing mine. While you might be happy now, you might not next year when you run into issues with 7.

You have 3 years extended support left with 7, if you upgrade now it can extended to 9 years with 10. Why wouldnt you do that? In 3 years time youre just going to have to pay for it, be it 10 or as you said a later OS.

And who knows, maybe the OS beyond 10 will also be a free update for 10 users and not 7?

10 does everything 7 does. Its all based on the exact same structure only a slightly different GUI, that can be changed to appear like 7 anyway.

What is it you dont like about 10 personally may I ask?

Not at all, I can get windows 10 free of charge anytime in the future from the ex company I used to work with, so no problem there having to pay for it down the line.

I just don't like the layout of it, yep, I'm stuck in my old ways. I just like windows 7, it's fast as hell as I always maintain the system at top health. My sister used windows 10 and I tried it out for a few days but thought to myself that if I installed windows 10 on my own desktop I'd more than likely go back to 7 as it functions much better imo. Everyone to their own.

Like I said, if your happy with 10 and it does what you need, then that's all that matters. It's just not my thing yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My plan is to upgrade, then go back to the older OS. The updates really slow a machine on a poor connection.

Advertisement