Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KERRY Pubs & Restaurants

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Ate at Sethu indian/thai restaurant in Kilorglin a few weeks ago. We had originally planned on going to Cassa y bella based on recommendations here but there was music on that night in the church so no restaurant. Sethu is a good looking place but I don't think the talvin singh style music from the speaker directly over our table was doing me any favours. I've a lot to say about restaurants that feel they have to play dub-fusion- house whatever it's called these days in an effort to be hip and trendy. Leave it for the afternoon makeover shows!

Food wasn't much better than the music. Nice plates but it's what's on them that counts. I had three prawns in the watery main course that I had. My partner's dish had too many red chillis for me to even try it. I had to get up from the table twice (once for phonecall, once for bathroom) on both occasions a male staff member approached the table to ask my date how the food was. When she went to pay at the end of the night he kept her at the counter for quite some time asking about where she was from and recommending she visit again soon and to try various other things on the menu.

To look at trip adviser reviews it would sound like it's the greatest place on earth. I'm convinced that some of the reviewers are enjoying the wine, the company and are probably starving and enjoy the food more so. I usually the one that drives so I'm not going to be as easily impressed.

We did however hit up Spa seafood in Tralee on Sunday. Being the bank holiday weekend, the places was jointed - it was also pretty late but the did a good job of accommodating us promptly. It's a big menu there. Starters were massive and delicious (Chicken paté is excellent) but that probably would have done us. It was probably more our fault than theirs that our fish mains had spent a little too long under the heat lamps or in the oven, tell tale sign was a burning hot plate (which we weren't forewarned about ) and the fish was dry. Still, they were under massive pressure and the staff did date time to have a chat with the people at the tables - which I like. I would consider going there again only on a much quieter evening.

Anyone tried Smokehouse in Killarney? Had a peek in the door Sunday afternoon. Looks interesting.

Off topic, I might want to try a picnic Sunday evening if anyone can recommend anywhere nice within 30 minutes drive of Killarney town centre. I had thought of the space beside the Agadoe heights hotel but there's nowhere really to go for a walk afterwards. I view of the lakes or even the ocean would be nice.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Off topic, I might want to try a picnic Sunday evening if anyone can recommend anywhere nice within 30 minutes drive of Killarney town centre. I had thought of the space beside the Agadoe heights hotel but there's nowhere really to go for a walk afterwards. I view of the lakes or even the ocean would be nice.

Cheers

Just drive out the muckross road through the national park. The most scenic place in the country. There are numerous lay-by's on the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭lenihankevin

Irish_rat wrote:
    What's the best restaurants in the listowel area?

Eabha Joans is a lovely place to eat day or night...had an amazing lunch there a while back. Well worth the visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Just drive out the muckross road through the national park. The most scenic place in the country. There are numerous lay-by's on the right hand side.

Don't leave it too late as knew a couple who got propositioned for dogging :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Don't leave it too late as knew a couple who got propositioned for dogging :eek:

Sorry about that, thought they were up for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Guys I'll be around the Tralee area Monday, where would be the best place to watch the match with a bit of a atmosphere? Or maybe somewhere outside the town, it could be jointed elsewhere if the weather is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Any tips for a special dinner in Killarney?
    And somewhere in town for a drink with live music?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

embraer170 wrote: »
    Any tips for a special dinner in Killarney?
    And somewhere in town for a drink with live music?

The Malton for dinner. Absolutely top class. And stroll down to Murphy's for a pint and live music after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant (we are more steak eaters than fish) in Dingle? And also in Killarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

RubyK wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good restaurant (we are more steak eaters than fish) in Dingle? And also in Killarney?

Treyvauds in Killarney. Don't know Dingle well enough, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I can recommend Italian Cuisine in Killarney, ate there a few years back and it was top class. More expensive than a standard meal, but so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

newman10 wrote: »
    Just have had a bad experience of Brown Sugar Cafe.

Wife, myself and family would go in 1/2 times a week as the food is good and location perfect for some days work.

Yesterday my wife was charged €2 extra for gluten free bread and was not informed by waitress when paying or was it on the noticeboard. As she looked at the bill she noticed the charge and decided to question it. So she asked Derek Daly, Owner, about it and was told not very nicely that that was it. ~In other words, Please F**k off.

Now you can go downstairs and get a gluten free sandwich made at the deli counter at no extra charge

So not only has Brown Sugar lost 2 customer and their families, but so has Supervalu. Arrogance it seems is still alive and well in some businesses
    usually places have gluten free bread at no extra cost, I have ordered it at no extra cost in places,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I like the Chart House in Dingle. Fentons is meant to be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Chart House is lovely, very nice food and a lovely venue but the menu is 90% fish

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Might have to rename this thread to KERRY Restaurants with TAKEAWAY

Advertisement