Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suing VW over emissions scandal... Mod warning post 313

• 26-07-2016 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martco

apols in advance if this posting in wrong location...

we are the owners of a diesel VW Golf which has been confirmed with having an engine code with the affected (lied about) emissions issue

we've had nothing from VW so far apart from a polite "sorry about that" letter and some vagueness about a program to "fix" the issue....I have formed the impression in my communications that VW Ireland at least are hoping the issue will gradually go away over time.

I read with interest a story on this mornings front page of the Irish Examiner that a solicitors called O'Dwyers in Ballyhaunis in Mayo have succeeded in getting court time to take VW to task over the affair and maybe extract compensation from VW. If you are affected you should check it out!

I have contacted O'Dwyers to see if it is possible to join the case and do something about this.

I just wanted to inform others to check this out and find out what were other peoples experiences in chasing down VW about this problem and a genuine solution with valu€

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

What solution are you looking for? A handy payout?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ian_80

Yes, kind of curious to see how your financially impacted over this??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

afaik, VW have a timetable to get every affected car sorted. It might take a year or two to get them all done, but to be honest its not really affecting the performance of your car, it was only set to activate when the car was in a test sitation.

Also, it appears that the price of VW cars hasn't suffered due to the scandal. Secondhand values are holding and your car isn't worth any less.

To be honest, if it was me, I wouldn't bother trying to sue. What do you hope to achieve? Are you looking for a pile of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

martco wrote: »

we are the owners of a diesel VW Golf which has been confirmed with having an engine code with the affected (lied about) emissions issue

we've had nothing from VW so far apart from a polite "sorry about that" letter and some vagueness about a program to "fix" the issue....I have formed the impression in my communications that VW Ireland at least are hoping the issue will gradually go away over time.

I read with interest a story on this mornings front page of the Irish Examiner that a solicitors called O'Dwyers in Ballyhaunis in Mayo have succeeded in getting court time to take VW to task over the affair and maybe extract compensation from VW. If you are affected you should check it out!

I have contacted O'Dwyers to see if it is possible to join the case and do something about this.

I just wanted to inform others to check this out and find out what were other peoples experiences in chasing down VW about this problem and a genuine solution with valu€

There is no class action cases in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Imo the various actions that are taking place against vw is pure opportunism. There is nothing wrong as such with the cars and their performance and resale value in this country at least is fine. People are just looking for a quick and easy handout of cash as far as i can see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Imo the various actions that are taking place against vw is pure opportunism. There is nothing wrong as such with the cars and their performance and resale value in this country at least is fine. People are just looking for a quick and easy handout of cash as far as i can see

A judge might agree with you leaving the opportunists to pick up their own legal bills. The solicitors won't be loosing out on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭corglass

I just wanted to inform others to check this out and find out what were other peoples experiences in chasing down VW about this problem and a genuine solution with valu

Why do you expect money? How have you suffered loss?

Those are questions VW will likely ask in defence. Have you good answers to these questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I wish i had so little to do i could try get a few quid out of VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If the neck stiffness wasn't enough - people are looking for suing like that.

I will tell you one thing - you did not suffer any loss unless you had VW shares. If you don't suffer any loss - save yourself time, effort and forget about it.

VW did not violate Euro5 nor Euro6 AFAIK - so there is hardly anything in Europe the authorities can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Go to court and tell them how your life has been living hell since discovering your blue motion wasn't as blue as VW led you to believe ? A few victim impact statements from the relatives about the shame ?

Or you could just wait for VW contact you about the software upgrade and not be wasting your money and clogging up courts with nonsense :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

If i was an owner of one of the effected cars the only compo i'd want would be if there was a reduction in mpg due to their "fix".

Or if motor tax went up as a result.

pippip wrote: »
    If i was an owner of one of the effected cars the only compo i'd want would be if there was a reduction in mpg due to their "fix".

Well - the figures they give only relate to results from NEDC test.

Your mileage might vary, literally - so you would have no ground to stand on, unless they cannot get that results from that test anymore...

Motortax is a good point - but we already got confirmation that the motortax rates will not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

pippip wrote: »

Valid point.

Tbh VW are protected by Germany from any such litigation in Europe.

In the States they wouldnt get away with it, Just like the EU dont let Microsoft or Google away with anything here.

However VW conned the world with their cheating however there seems to be a load of people on here blaming the consumer.

Very weird altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The software 'fix' is going to have to effect the cars performance in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Nothing will happen here in Ireland, you'll be only wasting your time and money, The Banks got away with a lot more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I read with interest a story on this mornings front page of the Irish Examiner that a solicitors called O'Dwyers in Ballyhaunis in Mayo have succeeded in getting court time to take VW to task over the affair and maybe extract compensation from VW make a name for themselves, get their mug in the paper and make an absolute killing on this no matter what.

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why all the love for vw?
    They lied through their teeth then blamed a rouge engineer for the software cheat.
    Anyone who can get anything from them should do so. The cars are not doing what they claimed and to be fair, if all manufacturers were allowed go this route, they may have come up with excellent products that would more than compete with vw.
    Basically I believe that they have been illegally taking money out of everyone's pocket by trickery so if it costs them now, I certainly won't be crying.
    In addition, I found the trade in offered to family here on a genuine passat was a few thousand less than expected and they had been changing every 3 years at pretty much known cost down through the years. After much shopping around they failed to improve too.
    I think a case could be built if perhaps someone had evidence of other marques refusing to take a vw trade in ( - this was happening early days when the story broke. ) and general cost to upgrade costing more than in times gone by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

mickdw wrote: »
    In addition, I found the trade in offered to family here on a genuine passat was a few thousand less than expected and they had been changing every 3 years at pretty much known cost down through the years. After much shopping around they failed to improve too.

I bet it went something like this: :D

"Your car is in very good condition but we can only offer you €x000 due to the recent VW emissions scandal" - said by a VW dealership themselves.

NIMAN wrote: »
    it was only set to activate when the car was in a test sitation.

You imply that all was good with cars apart from when in test situation.
    It is in fact the other way around. The only time the cars met the emissions requirement was when in test situation. The cars are not capable of meeting the emissions standards while producing the power people now expect at a fuel efficiency people are accustomed to.
    The suggested fix imo is a bigger fudge than the initial cheat. They are suggesting that a software update and a plastic tube in front of the air flow meter is all that is required to put this right and retain the same fuel efficiency and power.
    As I say, looks like an even bigger lie than the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's nothing to do with a "love for VW". It's the brass neck looking for a free ride, a handy payout when really there's been no material loss or inconvenience that riles people.

A compo-culture mentality is unlikely to curry favour with anyone and a claim such as this would be laughed out of court... IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

JoeA3 wrote: »
    What solution are you looking for? A handy payout?

I find handy payouts the best type of payout myself

shietpilot wrote: »
    I bet it went something like this: :D

"Your car is in very good condition but we can only offer you €x000 due to the recent VW emissions scandal" - said by a VW dealership themselves.

No. Would have got that in writing if they did.
    Ford dealer tried it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All manufacturers lie to a degree when telling you how efficient their cars are and how many mog they can get.

How many members of the public actually know what they do in these mpg tests? That they strip the car bare to make it lighter, that they tape up all air catching surfaces etc? Surely thats cheating from all the car makers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

It's nothing to do with a "love for VW". It's the brass neck looking for a free ride, a handy payout when really there's been no material loss or inconvenience that riles people.

A compo-culture mentality is unlikely to curry favour with anyone and a claim such as this would be laughed out of court... IMO.

Surely there is a material loss for people who bought a product that was advertised with a particular feature (high mpg) and the it transpires it dose not have that feature and possibly now the value of the product is less that previously paid for and the rep of the product is affected

i'm not a vw owner...but if VW owners in America are entitle to compensation then why wouldnt Irish/UK/EU owners be

All manufacturers lie to a degree when telling you how efficient their cars are and how many mog they can get.

How many members of the public actually know what they do in these mpg tests? That they strip the car bare to make it lighter, that they tape up all air catching surfaces etc? Surely thats cheating from all the car makers?

They don't. There is a standard European test to test the consumption and they are obliged to give the figures from that test in the marketing materials.

It is not manufacturers fault that this test does not reflect real world usage pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I find it funny nobody really even knows how much MPG they are getting. I've heard plenty of people tell me their diesel car gets 60 MPG because it's what they saw on the brochure. In reality these cars achieve a lot less.

If you log onto Fuelly and have a look at some 1.6 TDI Golfs you will see the average fuel consumption across a range of different drivers is a lot lower.

For example:
    2012 1.6 TDI Golf - 47.9 MPG
    2011 1.6 TDI Golf - 48.6 MPG
    2010 1.6 TDI Golf - 46.0 MPG

You don't see anyone making a fuss about it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,380 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If someone was lied to about their vehicle, their vehicle is worth less than it should be come trade time surely there is a material loss no ?

Similar to a car being clocked.

Where is the 'easy money' in that.

FYI i dont own a VW i would never be caught dead in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What value would you be happy with?
    VW fixes your car and gives you 70e to fill the tank as a gesture of good will, would it be enough for you?
    We love a good compo situation though huh, let them fix the car and get on with your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Customers have been mis sold a Car if the fix reduces performance, increases fuel consumption, reduces resale value or a combination of the above.

Competitors have been damaged because vw had lied to sell more of its product.

The Irish public, particularly in cities have been exposed to significantly higher levels of emissions as these cars are churning out significantly more nox than reported.

So there is 1. a consumer issue, 2. a competitive issue and 3. a public health issue.

I'm annoyed that the state is doing nothing about 3 but make laws about people not using their Brown bin properly.

Why people think there should not be consequences for vw in this country is beyond me. At a minimum there needs to be a hefty penalty to deter others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

If this had been a cover up of an issue that caused engine fires, or airbag deployment or some other dangerous thing, I could understand the idea of claiming. That is IF you had been the victim of one of these events.

But everybody was happily driving their VW TDIs around before this story broke, and most are still doing so now, with no difference whatsoever, or no fear of anything possibly happening that could harm them in any way. Until we see hard evidence of a sudden drop in resale values for VW, there won't be, or can't be a case for individual claims

Advertisement