Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiskey suggestion for a present

• 20-07-2016 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was wondering if you could help me find a whiskey for my dad's birthday. I know a few that he likes that will hopefully help you out and get an idea of what he likes in a bottle.

The two that he buys on a regular basis are Green Spot and Teeling's Single Malt. He also has a bottle of the Single Malt 21 year from Teeling that he isn't mad about. Says it's a little too smokey.

Any ideas?

Last year I got him a bottle of 14 year Knappogue castle single malt that seemed to go down well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yellow Spot.
    Tyrconnel Maderia finish.
    Power's John Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

Can't go wrong with the above I'll throw redbreast into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Singleton

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Yellowspot
    Redbreast 12yo

Would be my 2 suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Was reading the tasting notes for Power's John Lane and it sounds delicious. Might give that one a shot.

Big fan of the 12 yo redbreast but not sure if it's something he will enjoy. I do know that he much prefers greenspot to yellowspot but not sure why.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Singleton

/thread

Which one? Diageo use that name for at least two completely different products currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Redbreast cask strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Bowmore Gold Coast is not so smokey and is very nice. I got in Dublin airport for about €45

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Big fan of the 12 yo redbreast but not sure if it's something he will enjoy. I do know that he much prefers greenspot to yellowspot but not sure why.
    Maybe he finds Yellow Spot a little too sweet?
    John Lane might be a perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

All good suggestions so far - I'd add the Tyrconnel port finish and the powers 3 swallows - both really fine whiskies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

If he liked the Knappogue 14 I'd try Glendalough 13 or Tipperary Boutique's 11. They're all around the same price range and bottled at around 46%/ 47% (I like the higher alcohol strength, without it hitting into cask strength). Alternatively, he could try Hyde 10 (finished in Sherry so fairly similar to the Knappogue wood profile).

All new independent bottlers that he might not have tried before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Glenfiddich is a really great line of Whiskey that I'm sure he would enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Nikka from the barrel. mad bottle gorgeous whiskey

This could be up his street.

Echlinville relaunched the Dunville brand and won best Irish single malt under 12yrs this year at the world whiskey awards.

http://echlinville.com/dunvillespxwhiskey/

You can pick it up in the Celtic Whiskey shop

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/dunvilles-px-cask-10-year-old

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

buck65 wrote: »

Great shout. Lovely whiskey altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Writer Tears or for something a little different Nikka Coffey Grain, its fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Was reading the tasting notes for Power's John Lane and it sounds delicious. Might give that one a shot.

Sounds like his tastes are similar to mine - I found the Teeling's 21 year old to be a bit on the smokey side (had to force myself) and green spot is definitely my favourite of the moment. The redbreast is definitely high on my list, but I found Writer's Tears to be uninspiring.

Some new whiskeys I wasn't impressed by were Temple Bar(rough) and the three new Jamesons: Blender's Dog, Cooper's Craze and Distiller's Safe (all meh!), so you might as well avoid them.

So that's my personal taste, FWIW. I'd just get him a Green Spot if that's what he likes - why on earth would you get him anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Since he likes the Green Spot, then maybe try and get a bottle of the 'Chateau Leoville Barton' Green Spot!
    What about Redbreast 12yo CaskStrength, or Teeling do a single cask which i think you can only buy in the Teeling Distillary shop.
    +1 for Nikki from the barrel (just got a fresh bottle recently)
    Have also tried a sample bottle of Writers Tears Cask Strength 2013 - nice but not as nice as Redbreast or Teelings.
    Currently drinking Powers Signature Release as summer whiskey....nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

Redbreast for readable priced

Since he likes the Green Spot, then maybe try and get a bottle of the 'Chateau Leoville Barton' Green Spot!

Good shout. I've been really enjoying this.

• Advertisement

buck65 wrote: »

Had it at a Japanese and Taiwanese tasting in Mitchell and Son. Very very nice. For me though, the whiskey of that night was I think Kavalan's single malt soloist port cask.

Other than that it will either be John Lane or The 12 year from Redbreast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

based on what he currently buys himself, I'd echo whats already said with yellow spot or red breast, but id also suggest Green Spot Leoville Barton.

Its Greenspot, but finished in Leoville Barton casks. Tastewise its defo greenspot but its much more floral, much fresher & just outstanding. If i wast to pick a last drink it would probably be it.

Advertisement