Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soundtrack To Your Angst

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I was in the Milk Market last weekend and the only wax to be found was at the artisan candles stall.

Sean's Bookshop is awash with vinyl curios, however.

And I'd be up for crate-diving with you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

I was in the Milk Market last weekend and the only wax to be found was at the artisan candles stall.

Sean's Bookshop is awash with vinyl curios, however.

And I'd be up for crate-diving with you guys.
    I was in Sean's the other day. Was about to head on the road for work so I Didn't pick up any.
    Bought Tolstoy's War and Peace though for my travels. Sean's is a nifty spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

So one my favourite artists started with a song called fade and it was a hit. So he put lyrics to that and called it Faded and that was an even bigger hit so now hes gone and made an Acoustic/orchestra version and its just fab. I just love when artists go and do this shows the dedication and passion they have in their music

So my one of my favourite artists went and created an acoustic version of his song faded and i love it

• Advertisement

I have had this stuck in my head all day.
    The imagery in it is beautiful.

been listening to a lot of angry french lads from the 90s lately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Jhcx wrote: »
    So one my favourite artists started with a song called fade and it was a hit. So he put lyrics to that and called it Faded and that was an even bigger hit so now hes gone and made an Acoustic/orchestra version and its just fab. I just love when artists go and do this shows the dedication and passion they have in their music

It's been a while since I actually looked at this thread.

This song hits me right in the feels every single time. One of the big national radio stations (basically equivalent of 2FM), made a "Brussels Remix" of Faded. They put Dutch and Belgian radio reports and speeches about the Brussels bombings over the song.

The song was also especially.. appropriate about 2 Dutch people who died at the airport. A brother and sister in their 20s from the south of the country were returning to the USA where they lived, after being home to visit their parents. After the news broke about the airport their parents tried to make contact with them. It took more than 24 hours and a lot of frantic searching on social media, for them to hear confirmation that they were dead. Really a case of 'Where are you now?' :(

pajor wrote: »
    It's been a while since I actually looked at this thread.

This song hits me right in the feels every single time. One of the big national radio stations (basically equivalent of 2FM), made a "Brussels Remix" of Faded. They put Dutch and Belgian radio reports and speeches about the Brussels bombings over the song.

The song was also especially.. appropriate about 2 Dutch people who died at the airport. A brother and sister in their 20s from the south of the country were returning to the USA where they lived, after being home to visit their parents. After the news broke about the airport their parents tried to make contact with them. It took more than 24 hours and a lot of frantic searching on social media, for them to hear confirmation that they were dead. Really a case of 'Where are you now?' :(

I think he hit the nail on the head and got it right just perfectly. The lyrics are just brilliant. its a cartchy beat but so soft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some of my favourites at the moment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

For the first time, I find myself incredibly disappointed with a Biffy Clyro album. Ellipsis does very little for me as a post-Puzzle convert who loves all six albums with Only Revolutions, Opposites and Blackened Sky being my favourites (no particular order). For me, it seems like they're trying to marry pre-Puzzle hardness, with post-Puzzle anthemness and throw in a bit of customary experimentation on top.

It's funny, the criticisms I've seen of the album say it's too "stadium pleasing", but honestly I can't pick a track from it that I could see a crowd going nuts for in the O2 or Wembley or something.

It just doesn't evoke any emotion in me at all. It's just... bland. They don't make me happy like Pocket, Mountains, 57, Bubbles, Joy.Discover.Invention etc. They don't make me mad like Living's A Problem, Get F*cked Stud, Sounds Like Balloons or The Joke's on Us, etc. They don't make me sad like Folding Stars or Machines. Just... nothing. I can't even find a song there that makes me want to sing, which is a damning indictment of an album for me.

I'd say it was "Biffy by numbers", but IMO a Biffy by numbers song would eclipse most of these.

I'll give them props for continuing to evolve as a band. But for me it's getting to the point where I wish they'd just stand still for a bit. :o

Tracks I like from the album would be Small Wishes because it's different, Howl because it's close to being worthy of maybe being part of Opposites, and Re-arrange because it's the only song I instantly liked. I know it's saccharin and has been compared to Owl City, but meh.

been listening to load of techno and tech house lately, this song has found itself on repeat

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Fifteen year old me is freaking out...who am I kidding?

It's nigh on impossible to not start bopping to this.

EDIT: I've fallen down this rabbit hole again. Oh well. One of the best live albums for sure and they say white guys can't dance. Pfft!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

An unreal voice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Saw this guy in Limerick again on Thursday. What a man. "One Of The Good Ones" is just incredible live, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Saw these guys (Pleasure Beach) supporting BellX1 in Limerick recently. They should go far.

• Advertisement

Have any of the Limerick peeps come across this group?

Always thought I was good at keeping up to date with the local scene but these passed me by completely.

absolutely rapid group. Bit more similar to grime than american rap. Couldn't find much stuff on youtube but their album is on spotify.
    They have a track called Heathrow which is unreal.

Irish Hip hop that isn't cringey is a rarity.

Thursday night is the third last time that I'll get to see my favourite band.

Have any of the Limerick peeps come across this group?

Always thought I was good at keeping up to date with the local scene but these passed me by completely.

absolutely rapid group.

I got talking to Godknows at a poetry night in the White House pub once. Phenomenal talent, and seems a sound guy too.

An File wrote: »
    I got talking to Godknows at a poetry night in the White House pub once. Phenomenal talent, and seems a sound guy too.

I only came across them through someone mentioning them on Reddit so I'm not sure how much exposure they've gotten but I really hope they explode . They really are excellent.

I only came across them through someone mentioning them on Reddit so I'm not sure how much exposure they've gotten but I really hope they explode . They really are excellent.

I believe they were part of the bill for this year's Other Voices festival. :)

Thursday night is the third last time that I'll get to see my favourite band.

So it ended up not being the last time. Because, like an idiot (or a dedicated fan), I flew 6000 miles to see them live for the last ever show. Here's some videos that I didn't take.

God, I'm going to miss this band so much.

<3

• Advertisement

This one tries so hard to be angsty, but then he laughs when he realises he doesn't know most of the lyrics. :D

R.E.M. covering "I Will Survive".

Advertisement