Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter V: Despite all his ragé he's still just a rat in a Kage

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Lets see Capcom's list of stupidity with this game.

Exclusive colours and titles limited to a version of the game released in Japan only. Content restricted by region.

Collectors edition version not available on PC.

Increase in cost of base game by €20.00 over previous instalment while shipping with significantly less content. (comparing to vanilla SF IV), less characters, less stages, less game modes.

Four fold increase in cost of premium DLC costumes.

Game ships with no anti rage quit solution in place. Only partially remedied after five months.

Online lobby options remain inferior to its predecessor five months after release.

No proper chat system in place for online lobbies.

Issues with lag online caused by the online system switching from peer to peer to server mode.

The online ranking system being rendered a joke when a bot was for several weeks repeatedly the number one player.

8 frames of input lag.

D-Input support not implemented on PC version after five months.
    Meaning PC players have to use third party apps to get PS4 controllers to work which adds to input lag. Or else they need a second controller for PS4 or a converter if they want to attend tournaments run on PS4.

Frame rate drops on certain stages on the PS4.

Legacy controller support on the PS4 is flakey and prone to disconnects. Yet legacy controllers have 1 frame less input lag than actual PS4 controllers.

No tutorials at launch, character tutorials were implemented later but its implementation was considered disappointing and not very helpful to new players.

Clipping and physics glitches with clothes and hair have not been addressed in five months.

Default colours have to be unlocked. Locked behind one of the worst game modes in video game history. Colours locked on a individual costume basis forcing repeated play throughs. Capcom were slated for their unlocking content policy in previous games yet implemented an even worse version here.

Announce they will offer the ability to purchase colours, instead of having them unlocked to begin with.

Training mode while improved overall does not remember settings, a feature of the previous game.

Searching for players using CFN or Steam ID was broken for at least two months, not sure if its fixed.

Replay system broke by a patch, not fixed in over two months.

Daily challenges not implemented after five months.

Stats system is broken.

One or two day notification of delay of May DLC content.

A stage released that has visual obstructions that affect gameplay.

Every round in the story mode DLC starts at a reduced frame rate.

Single player content is very poor. Story mode and story prologues are too easy, while survival mode is far too long, too easy and boring at first and then suddenly switches to far too difficult.

No arcade mode and no vs CPU mode yet. Two very much expected staples of a fighting game. Instead we got survival mode, a mode no one asked for.

Terrible load times, particularly on PS4.

DLC content exclusive to PS4. Content locked by platform.

Capcom Pro Tour DLC content sold at even more inflated price.

DLC that's time for sale for a limited time period only.

Poor communication, conflicting messages and disingenuous comments from Capcoms PR team.

A mouse cursor appearing in Ibuki's reveal trailer, even though funny and an incredibly trivial error just serves to make Capcom look completely amateurish/incompetent.

Their bizarre double standards when it comes to censoring female character animations and models so not to be perceived as sexist yet they leave Laura's costumes unchanged???

Latest patch has messed up character model and colour mods on PC.

Its getting to the point were as much as I like the game to play I want to see it actually fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

And while many of the above that Azza just listed out can remain unfixed for months, once a hack is found that lets people unlock stuff on PS4 and thus upset Capcom's financial plans it's fixed literally within a week and patched in during EVO.

Side note, from what I hear the new stage, while massively overpriced and thus I won't be buying, it has one cool feature. All the banners and stuff change to show the next upcoming Pro Tour event - meaning Ireland's event will show up in game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The 1.05 patch came with stealth balance changes apparently too.

Some of Cammy's (probably others too) combos no longer work.

So two days before the biggest tournament of the year, the game is changed.

Are all the Evo consoles fully patched? Some of them? None of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

#JustCapcomThings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Sairus wrote: »
    And while many of the above that Azza just listed out can remain unfixed for months, once a hack is found that lets people unlock stuff on PS4 and thus upset Capcom's financial plans it's fixed literally within a week and patched in during EVO.

Side note, from what I hear the new stage, while massively overpriced and thus I won't be buying, it has one cool feature. All the banners and stuff change to show the next upcoming Pro Tour event - meaning Ireland's event will show up in game :)

Its a cool feature but does not justify cost, Besides the absurd price point it supports the CPT pots (How much yet to find out).

People want to support CPT and capcom but not like this, NRS' strategies with E-sports are a reflection of how poor and inexperienced capcom really are, its as eye opening as it is pathetic.

Survival being the WORST in history is an overstatement, for SF only most probably.

Anyway, Capcom are out of touch (which was never a secret) and its reaching its boiling point

Azza even missed some points:
    Season pass was a mess
    Loading screens are super long

Games a mess, SFXT was in better shape and offered more and it was SFXT

• Advertisement

Nutrient wrote: »
    Games a mess, SFXT was in better shape and offered more and it was SFXT

Never was there a more damning statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Poo game

But on a serious note, I enjoy SF5, gameplay wise. I think its a fun game. But how Capcom are handling things is beyond atrocious. Basically everything Azza said is spot on. Even though the game is enjoyable, all the nonsense that has come with it so far is leaving a horrible taste in my mouth.

Capcom are getting slated for this over on the forums of Shoryuken and Capcom Unity and the comments section of Eventhubs. Also I've seen negative comments on gaming websites that have news articles published about this latest DLC.

I'm not sure how accurate some comments are but a lot of people are saying that less than 50% of the profit from the DLC is going towards the Capcom Cup.

If you were to take the base game, unlock all its content, add the season pass content and add the Capcom Pro Tour DLC content into it, I'd still think their would be less content than there was to be found in the vanilla release of SF IV, there would be less characters and less game modes, an inferior online system, a roughly equal amount of stages. The only thing in SF V favour would be the amount of costumes.

But I'm being generous there. Because in reality if we play by Capcom's rules to unlock colours and costumes most players would not get any were near unlocking all stages costumes and costume colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Does anyone have a link to the archive of last nights EVO stream's ?, I missed them.

J0hnick wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the archive of last nights EVO stream's ?, I missed them.

AFAIK you need to subscribe to access CapcomFighter's VODs on Twitch, however they have uploaded Day 1 on their YouTube channel over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Combofiend mentioned on stream, "Depending on the number of downloads [of the CPT stage/costumes], money will go to the pot"

Yeah, **** that **** right off.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Sairus wrote: »
    Combofiend mentioned on stream, "Depending on the number of downloads [of the CPT stage/costumes], money will go to the pot"

Yeah, **** that **** right off.

Wow, dat ambiguity...

I want to like SFV (it would make maintaining the app bearable :P) but the dominance of jumping is extremely frustrating. Even that Momochi/Arturo match that is making the rounds has a bunch of Ken jumping in and stuffing Sims well timed anti airs. That and the 8 frames keep me from really getting into it.

The whole "wow people can't afford $25 for DLC?" attitude seems to be doing the rounds. Sigh It's not an issue of what people can afford, it's an issue of the DLC being so expensive relative to the content it offers. That is why people are complaining, they aren't complaining because of what they can afford. It's also a kick in the teeth to have grossly overpriced DLC shoved down our throats instead of having all the glaring issues with the game addressed first. That should be Capcom's first priority; pleasing it's fanbase and responding to complaints and critique. Instead they are just waving their brand new and shiny DLC at people and sweeping everything else under the rug. People don't want fancy DLC, overpriced or not. They want Capcom to show they are listening to their fans, to answer our requests, to address all of their oversights and to SHOW they're actually listening to consumer feedback.

Also, content such as colours, stages, characters etc being unlockable with FM as an alternative to real world currency is a really empty gesture; FM is so hard to accumulate in this game past a certain point. There has been no word on daily challenges, leaving survival as the best way to grind out FM. Which, as we know, is the problem in the first place. It's one big vicious circle. The FM you get from playing the actual game online is pathetic too.
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Even that Momochi/Arturo match that is making the rounds has a bunch of Ken jumping in and stuffing Sims well timed anti airs

Arturo anti aired really well tbh. Ken is one of Sim's hardest MUs imo. The only thing that's really difficult to AA are Ken's air tatsus, other than that he AAd really well.
    Hype match, fair play to Art.
    . I do agree though that jumping in SF5 is definitely skewed in terms of risk/reward relative to other games. Some jump ins are really obnoxious too (Ryu j.LK, Ken's air tatsus etc), and 8f of lag makes anti airing more difficult.

That's what I was saying, that Arturo AA-ed really well and still ate a ton of damage to jump-ins. It's that skew that you mentioned that is the issue.

EDIT: Also, the "LOL, get yo broke ass a job" attitude that is being posted re: the 25 DLC is actually idiotic, and best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

One most wonder how Sony feels about all this, given they supported development of the game in the first place. I imagine some of the Sony top brass may be pretty annoyyed at Capcom's behaviour.

It's a shame they're handling SFV so badly, especailly considering this the same Dev that is giving us Resident Evil 7 next year ( which by the way, was revealed PERFECTLY at E3. )

I saw only one case of Ken's Tatsu stuffing an anti air in that match and you could just as easily say it due to the angle the Tatsu was hitting from as opposed to the anti air being perfectly timed. You could say that Momochi got the timing/spacing on that air Tatsu perfectly right or you could say it was Sabin selecting the wrong anti air for that situation.

Several jumps in that hit were punishes on whiffed grounded normals by Sim.

With regards Ken's EX Air Tatsu, it was effectively a free in back in IV and its pretty much the same in V. Sabin did well with the spacing and slides to avoid evening having to block them.

Its funny jump in's feel more prevalent in V when there is less high priority jump in moves and less dive kicks, as well as dive kicks being less effective.

Take Cammy, her Cannon Strike is now anti air able with normal AA's something that was very difficult to do in IV, her EX.Cannon Strike is very difficult to AA but unlike IV it is possible where it was virtually fool proof in IV. I feel against Cammy the risk reward for her jumping is actually lower than it was in IV for her and she has to play the ground game more. She can no longer simply bypass the neutral game and great a free in against characters with no invincible anti air.

I also find Necalli's Dive Kick quite low priority and not too hard to anti air.

Ryu's J.LK's priority seems high and it trades a lot but I don't see it win clean an awful lot. I remember a lot of BS jump in attacks back in IV that won clean or did more damage when they traded. Fei-Long's and E.Honda's J.MP, Sakura's and Dudleys J.HP (or was it J.HK in Dudley's case).

I guess the prevalence of jumps ins its just to do with people using jab as AA because its so easy to do and jab AA is not a good enough deterrent compared to the reward of landing a jump in, or as a grappler evening having a jump in blocked. I think input lag has wrecked peoples confidence in using the slower harder hitting AA normals and if it was reduced it would help significantly reduce the number of successful jump ins.

I'd like to see hitboxes/hurtboxes on jabs changed so they don't work as anti air, and anti air normals like C.HP be given more damage and in some cases sped up.

I guess the prevalence of jumps ins its just to do with people using jab as AA because its so easy to do and jab AA is not a good enough deterrent compared to the reward of landing a jump in, or as a grappler evening having a jump in blocked. I think input lag has wrecked peoples confidence in using the slower harder hitting AA normals and if it was reduced it would help significantly reduce the number of successful jump ins.

This is a really good point, the lag on inputs definitely makes AAs a possibly risk if you're "late" on reacting to them.

The skewed risk reward on jump ins is kinda whack. For example as Ryu in some MUs it's worth it to j.lk and even take a trade AA from your opponent; you land in their face and get in for the low price of a tiny bit of health. Some normals as Azza said are crazy good for jumping in with. But in general I feel like jumping in this game has more reward than it should and not as much risk as past titles.

Regarding jab AAs, I'm not sure how I feel about them. Anti airs are a healthy part of a SF game, so on one hand I kinda like the option of having more versatile AAs, but on the other hand some AA lights are obnoxious. Ryu, Chun and Necalli come to mind. Crazy priority and hitboxes that lead to oki/mixups with little to no risk. Some characters are dealt a bad hand and have little to no AAs (Karin meterless AAs are dreadful, Dictator has one solid grounded AA and even then it can be stuffed and gets owned by crossups), seems unfair from a balance point of view. But then again, FGs will always have imbalance, but I still feel like the AAs in this game are really inconsistent or too consistent, depending on your character.

I'm pretty sure the Ryu players are looking to win clean with J.LK. Trades are generally not going to be in Ryu's favour as he will take more damage and his opponent will recover before he lands from the reset and will be able to pressure him on his landing.

To be honest Ryu's J.LK is the only normal jump attack I know of in the game with such a very high level of priority.

But I do agree with the sentiment that the risk reward is too good on jump ins.

I would prefer anti air jabs gone, I look at them as effortless and brainless and I absolutely hate the fact that stop cross up attacks. But they the damage they do is not enough to deter repeated jump in attempts. One successfully jump is literally as good as 9 successful Jab anti airs.

The emphasis should be on harder strength normals or command normals to anti air that do more damage but are slower and require good reactions. And unlike current C.HP anti air options they should do full damage after the first frame and not this measly 70 damage they currently do.

Azza wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Ryu players are looking to win clean with J.LK.

In some MUs like vs Sim, it's fine to trade with his aa cr.mp if it lands you in his face. But in general yeah, you wanna be beating things clean, which happens a lot. Such a weird jump in normal.
    The emphasis should be on harder strength normals or command normals to anti air that do more damage but are slower and require good reactions. And unlike current C.HP anti air options they should do full damage after the first frame and not this measly 70 damage they currently do.

Agree 100%

• Advertisement

So what are people's opinions on the top 8 character variety at EVO? Personally I think it's depressing to see multiples of a character, reminiscent of 3s days. 3 Nashes and 2 Chuns...yikes. Even though the players using these characters are world class, it's still alarming to see so many Nashes. As an outside onlooker or spectator it must have been even more boring. It's already clear Nash is a dominant character who seems to be showing up everywhere.
    And it just so happened it was a Nash who took the whole tournament. Infiltration is pretty damn unstoppable.

However, so far in general in the tourney scene, SF5 has had quite a good character variety in top 16s. 2 Necalli's managed to make top 16 this EVO, one Ryu, a Karin, and Dictator, Cammy, Rashid. That's nice to see, But for the first EVO top 8 final seeing such a character spread is weird. I would have preferred to see a more diverse character variety. It's great to see Claw and Ken getting some representation though in top 8, and well, Fuudo is doing his thing with Mika, so props to him. But seeing multiples of a character(s) is always alarming, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I wouldn't say it's too alarming to have the current strongest characters be represented multiple times in top 8 of the biggest tournament of the year, five months after release.

What was the spread in Top 32, in a field of 5107?

I wouldn't say it's too alarming to have the current strongest characters be represented multiple times in top 8 of the biggest tournament of the year, five months after release.

What was the spread in Top 32, in a field of 5107?

Good point, but Nash and Chun seem very prevalent, and Necalli too. The game is still pretty new but it's clear which characters are becoming dominant. It just sucked to see multiples of 3 of a character in an EVO tourney final. It sucks that Nash and Chun are the most boring characters to watch, especially with it being broadcast on ESPN :o Not quite sure how that went down, but as far as I know the live TV broadcast actually went really well.

As far as top 32 goes, from a glance; 6 Necalli's, 1 Ryu, 3 Nash,2 Giefs, 2 Rashids, 1 Sim, 6 Chuns, 3 Mikas, 2 Claws, 2 Kens. 1 Cammy and Fang. Jesus that's a lot of Chun and Necalli. 1 Sim, even though people claimed he was top tier week 1 :pac: No dictator either and he was a character people hailed as godlike too, me included. 1 Ryu is also pretty weird, people hail him as the best character in the game? The game is still fairly new, lots of stuff to come and balancing to happen I suppose. Merely speculation on my part.

Gas to see no Ibuki or Boxer in top 32. A lot of people whinged so hard about them being made EVO legal 2 weeks prior to the tournament. It was obvious it wasn't going to be an issue :pac: People will bitch about anything.

Ryu is pretty godlike, they gave him close to everything.
    Defensively he's without equal. 3 frame anti air jab and DP for anti air. The jab is also a good pressure interrupter.
    Meterless invincible reversal. Fast V-Reversal, 3 frame parry that covers all angles. A viable fireball zoning game.
    Offensively he's quite good as well.
    Has good mobility
    Numerous ways of landing knockdowns and starting pressure.
    Good up close pressure.
    Big damage combos.
    Has an overhead.
    He's only weakness is he's quite poor in neutral with no decent pokes outside of risky sweep but his fireball largely compensates for it.

Chun has a much better neutral game, her pokes are much better. She also fast movement and slow fireballs so she can get in via fireball shields against non fireball characters. She won't win fireball zoning battles but there is hardly any emphasis on that in this game. Damage output not quite as good as Ryu's but her offensive pressure is better, particularly with her godlike V-Trigger. Godlike anti air's. Defence is not as good as Ryu's but its still good. Lacks a little health compared to Ryu as well.

Nash is a damn thief. Raw V-Trigger alone can win matches for Nash he has no business winning. His pokes seem to have insane range even though they are slow. Controls the pace of his match up with Sonic Boom, if you try to turtle he gets a free in, so you have to take risks getting in on him. If you do corner him he' gets out for free. I think his health needs to be reduced by 50 to 900, and his V-Trigger needs a 4 frame window on start up where he's hittable and fully combo-able. As it stands his sonic boom, anti air options, pressure, runaway tool in V-reversal and v-trigger more than compensate for not having a 4 frame normal or a reversal.

Necalli seems likely a really simply to play and powerful character. His V-Trigger is scary as hell. Great offence and defence, but he's garbage in neutral and has no ranged threat at all, his V-Skill isn't great.

Ken, would say he's poor in neutral but that S.HK CC of his is a real threat. Insane corner carry options and great pressure and damage when he's on top of you. EX. Air Tatsu is pretty much a free in. Good defence too. I'd say the thing that might catch him out long term is he has to gamble from negative frames off his V-Skill a lot and once his V-Skill is truly understood he may drop down the order.

Cammy, hahaha she feels a lot weaker than in IV. Doesn't have easy ways in any more or overwhelming pressure when she does, doesn't even seem to have great ways of scoring chip damage. Low health and stun. Her neutral game is good, excellent at whiff punishing, good V-Trigger and EX.moves as well. Solid viable mid tier character.

Karin, great footsies, great damage, great v-trigger, decent mix up options. Good reversal option. AA's are not great but not the worst. Low health character. Just outside top tier.

Sim I don't know how to call. Offensively he's really powerful once he starts pressure but he doesn't seem to have a reliable way of starting the pressure. It seems to come down to random IAT's a lot of the time. I feel like I can just ignore his fireball game. Dies horribly once cornered as is Sim's eternal struggle.

Dictator is pretty much ass at this point but he's godlike at killing scrubs.
    Worst or 2nd worst AA options in the game. Third slowest dash in the game, worst walk speed, awful wake up options, slightly below average damage on combo's and noticeable less stun on combo's. No overhead, no command grab, no 3 frame normal. V-Skill usefulness limited to 3-4 matches. Only character that I'm aware who's V-trigger has multiple negative attributes to it and it takes too long to activate and doesn't last long enough when activated. He's decent in neutral but that's largely bypassed by jumping at him, his corner pressure is good too.

Vega, solid overall, great neutral game in terms of mobility and poke range. Decent mix up options with command grab and has an overhead. On the downside his anti air options are poor possible worst in the game and he has the out right worst wake up options in the game

Zangief, honest grappler outside of his dumb V-Skill. His LPD.SPD doesn't set up a loop which stops him from being a cheesy mofo. Has difficulty getting in (when hasn't he) and has a garbage defence. Pretty weak overall but his tournament placing's haven't been that bad.

Laura, not great. No ranged threat, poor neutral game. Good damage and mix ups but not as good as Mika's as her command grab doesn't set up a loop. Flakey defence.

R.Mika, Frauds paradise.

Rashido. Does no damage. is ass.

Birdie. Does lots of damage, is also ass though.

FANG. Is just ass.

DLC characters, mostly ass.

Yeah Ryu is brilliant in this game for sure. To add to your points, I think Ryu has some of the best normals in the game; cr.mp is an amazing footsie tool and for poking people with; sick range, 5f, +2 on block, links to itself for a true 3f blockstring, on CH also links to itself for an easy tatsu confirm. It's a great button on defense to just throw out, keeps people at bay and lets you get some breathing space. His st mk is great too, albeit somewhat slow @8F. st.lk is a great footsie tool, keeps people in check, great range, can be easily buffered to tatsus to catch people dashing forward or to catch stray limbs.

His st.rh is godly; crush counter normal that moves him forward, catches so much stuff for a CC in neutral. Half screen AA, easy to confirm on hit, and on CC combos into itself from really far range for lots of dmg. Only -1 on block! On whiff you realistically cannot be punished on reaction, it's too quick, and with 8f of lag no one is gonna whiff punish it up close. In fact, whiff st rh up close and then cr.jab/st.mp will CH people so much who are late at reacting to the st.rh whiff and try to counter it. The risk reward on st.rh is really mental IMO. His super is also fantastic, so many ways to land it, pretty much guaranteed value every match. Has a super easy and devastating throw loop mixup. His damage is crazy high, too. His empty low game is unlike anyone else, very SF4esque, and very easy to get rolling. Parry OS to counter VRs is really cheap too, I wouldn't object to seeing this removed. Maybe reduce the freeze on VRs to negate this OS from working? But yeah, Ryu is a beast in this game.

Nash is the trickiest of them all IMO to fight, he has such a solid tool set; great zoning; sonic boom is a nightmare to deal with, so good at controlling space, very versatile. Great pressure, neutral game is easily one of the best; his pokes are fantastic. Keep away game is mental. Lots of solid anti airs, a great crossup too. His VT is madness, it should not be two stocks for what it does currently. It shouldn't be invincible until later frames, and if you stuff it, he should get counter hit, which right now he doesn't. He can counter zoning with his v skill, deny any footsies with his keep away and backdashes. There's nothing he can't do, he forces you to play his game and come to him. Sure, he has no invincible reversal or 3f normal, but who cares? His VT is a great escape tool, aswell as his VR. Knocking him down is a chore in itself, one max range MK scythe or back throw and you're back to square one. His average wakeup is nothing compared to how hard it is to get him cornered and to keep him there. And as you said, having a 4f normal and no invincible reversal is a great trade-off for having such a versatile and overwhelming toolset.

Sim has great keep away and neutral, great anti airs, but is only strong at one range in neutral. Amazing pressure but can be very hard to get it rolling. 900 hp hurts too. Gets rekt by pressure. His damage is quite good, but his VT is countered hard by VRs. One stock from your opponent counters two from Sim and completely negates his VT. He's dangerous when played properly for sure, but I feel like he has lots of weaknesses. In fact I think VRs in general counter Sim overall, and are really useful in the MU. It can be really hard to get in with Sim if the opponent has decent defense, his IAT is gimmicky and can be anti aired on reaction with jabs. He's a great scrub killer but once you catch on to what he's doing, he's a piece of piss.

I also agree Nash should have 900. Baffles me why Karin and Cammy have 900 when they're nowhere near as strong. Maybe buff those characters health up? I'd have no issue with those character getting HP buffs tbh. Birdie could also do with a damage nerf too, he does way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

I think I can add more to what Azza is saying in relation to the DLC's, noticeably most of them are mid-tier at best.

Alex: Solid and pretty honest grappler with pretty good footsie tools to boot, and no slouch when it comes to damage either. He needs really need his meter though to really get going. Wake-up options are poor, his V-Trigger isn't much use after activation and has a handful of decent anti-airs but no single go-to.

Guile: Has great footsies tools and anti-airs but his two main specials aren't nearly as good as they used to be, with Sonic Boom have more recovery and Flash Kick only being fully invincible with EX. His V-Trigger can be amazing IF you have the execution and nerves to do Sonic Boom loops in a real match, and I've very little out of that aside from Chris G's.

Ibuki: Hard to say since she's so recent, but it's general consensus Ibuki is pretty fragile and heavily reliant on her oki and resource management. Varying your wake-up timing will really have to make her work for victory.

Balrog: Having tried Balrog for a bit, I can say he's some good tools for most of his normal buttons, (st.MP is one of the best anti-air normals, St HK. has great advantage), but knock him down and he's in trouble with horrendous wake-up options. The V-Trigger seems to serve best as a combo extender than anything else.

Ryu S.HK is good particularly when you have you opponent corner trapped, but I don't think any of his medium pokes are good. They are sluggish and lack range.

Alex, I feel is the best of the DLC characters. I'm not sure how I'm suppose to approach the match up when I find myself getting out poked by a grappler. His LK.Slash Elbow is annoyingly safe and nets him great pressure on hit. His command grab doesn't loop but his Ex. Command grab does I think. Decent anti air options. Weak defensively though. Solid mid tier character.

Guile, no one is using him, don't have much experience at all with him. But the word on the street he's not looking too hot. Has traded in his zoning game and excellent normals for a better up close pressure game and long combos but in hindsight he seems to have lost more than he gained.

Ibuki is awful in neutral and very fragile. Once the offense gets going she's good but she has trouble starting it. I feel because there is so little threat from her in neutral I can focus more on anti airing her, meaning she has a tough time getting in.

Balrog is also trash in neutral. His normals are awful. No armour on his rush punches make him very susceptible to counter hit. No cross up, very slow overhead. Trash defence, outside of a good damage and a good V-Trigger he seems pretty bad. Once people learning to block the overhead he resets I don't think he will have much at all.

Ryu S.HK is good particularly when you have you opponent corner trapped, but I don't think any of his medium pokes are good. They are sluggish and lack range.

I agree, outside of cr.mp. Has great range and is quick. St.mp is good in certain situations, but as a poke, its crap of course. St.mk has its uses but overall isn't amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Thoughts on EVO? Did it show if SFV has as long a life span as its predecessor?
    I didn't see much, watched Infiltration(Nash) vs Yukadon(Nash). That was a mess but LI Joe was hype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Ramza wrote: »
    Birdie could also do with a damage nerf too, he does way too much.

I can see certain areas where is damage is higher than regular but I think its in line with his speed, gdlk as some normals are they are significantly slower, and have hurtboxs in places you'd be surprised, his grabs dmg output is fine

Unless he's in the corner he gets no real follow up from grabs, For a grapplers throw to put them half screen away is the trade off you Command grabbing Nash for e.g., puts him back where he wants to be.

Think overall he's been designed as an risky grappler overall, stuff like bull slider, f+hp are all great but risky tools. f+hp is almost always unsafe, bull slider can be whiff punished easy enough. The mans commitment incarnate unless he commits to a Vskill to cover, which is a good and bad thing.

I'd be up to see them rework his chains at expense of damage in areas, The chain cancels have far too much recovery to be employed practically unless you've got a hard read. And again, puts them fulls screen if its m/h chain.

Overall he's just weird, general gameplan is to lame it out till VT builds, activate, and reverse your gameplan.

Advertisement