Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Sweet wonder (had it before and it's lovely iirc) and a bag of Tiamo. Tried the Silvio and Puccini before so thought I would give something new a shot (excuse the pun :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sweet wonder (had it before and it's lovely iirc) and a bag of Tiamo. Tried the Silvio and Puccini before so thought I would give something new a shot (excuse the pun :D).

Thanks.
    I'll give it a whirl. (Was going to say "shot" but thought I'd better not) :)

I've a V60 filter.

Update:
    Ordered Burundi Microlot and Sweet Wonders from Bailies to an Irish Address and got free shipping :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How come I was getting charged delivery then? Feckers

adrian522 wrote: »

That will be one of those questions where you're pointed in the direction of the company for an answer.

The other answer would be that you got charged "mod rates" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'd guess they have a spend minimum cap. probably need to be ordering 500g+.

• Advertisement

I have some vague recollection that they used to post 2 bags for 'free'. Not sure of the situation if you order more than that - I know what would make no sense as it would mean you could save money by splitting your order into multiple lots but who knows!

I only ordered 500g anyway, so I imagine your order was at least that?

I have some vague recollection that they used to post 2 bags for 'free'. Not sure of the situation if you order more than that - I know what would make no sense as it would mean you could save money by splitting your order into multiple lots but who knows!

I only ordered 500g anyway, so I imagine your order was at least that?

I just put in a test order. ! bag incurred £2.50 postage. 2/3/4 bags of 250 gr were free.
    I also tried a 1kg bag which was £2.50.

So 2 bags must be the minimum for it to be free:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mine was 2 x 250g and was coming at £4.50 delivery I think.

Just confirmed sweet wonder espresso plus Colombia buesaco both 250g comes to £12.75 plus 4.50 delivery.

Just confirmed sweet wonder espresso plus Colombia buesaco both 250g comes to £12.75 plus 4.50 delivery.

As I suspected "mod rates" :D

Are you ordering as a guest or did you set up an account?

Bizarre :confused::confused:
    Hopefully the postage charge was a mistake Adrian and you might get it refunded?
    I have an account in case it makes a difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I ordered 4 x 250g bags from Bailies a month or so ago (4th June), and it was postage free.
    RoI customer, with an account.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looks like a website problem, associated with your specific selection. Choose other products and it's free postage. Or else, it's a problem with all of our selections of products, and they're showing up as free when they should have postage costs associated with them. :)

Yeah weird one. I've an account with them so it's not that. I went with UK address to pm so no question of getting a refund or anything but I'll know better next time.

My order has shipped :)

My order has shipped :)

Mine too - had forgotten how very fast they are with shipping. Great value at the moment with sterling the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah I stopped ordering from Bailies when they started charging me for postage. Messaged them about it on twitter bu got no response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I finally got a V60 set! Can't wait to try it.

Got my order from Bailies today by DPD.

I opened the envelope and the smell of coffee..... :D

J_E wrote: »
    I finally got a V60 set! Can't wait to try it.
    The Bailies website has a video on how to use them.
    I use mine in work.

Simply loving the taste out of the V60 already. 10 clicks on the Mini Mill seems to produce a great brew. I can't get that mountain of bloom that some online seem to be able to though, I guess it is all dependant on the coffee and pouring style! I haven't got a gooseneck kettle yet so I put boiling water into my milk pitcher to try recreate a thinner steady flow, and it is working out so far. I would really recommend it to anyone looking for a new brewing style. Getting lovely biscuit tones out of my Ponaire Bobolink, although having tried the Ethiopian again, I would agree now that it's a bit naff despite it coming out well once in the Aeropress, struggled to get any flavour out of it in the V60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

J_E wrote: »
    Simply loving the taste out of the V60 already. 10 clicks on the Mini Mill seems to produce a great brew. I can't get that mountain of bloom that some online seem to be able to though, I guess it is all dependant on the coffee and pouring style! I haven't got a gooseneck kettle yet so I put boiling water into my milk pitcher to try recreate a thinner steady flow, and it is working out so far. I would really recommend it to anyone looking for a new brewing style. Getting lovely biscuit tones out of my Ponaire Bobolink, although having tried the Ethiopian again, I would agree now that it's a bit naff despite it coming out well once in the Aeropress, struggled to get any flavour out of it in the V60.

The bloom primarily depends on how fresh the roast is. Once you've wet all the grounds just wait 25 to 35 seconds. If your beans are within a 5 days of roast you should get plenty of Bloom. The other major contributor is the roast profile. With a lighter profile beans will degassing over a longer period. Darker roasts may not have much degassing left a few days after roasting.

In my opinion the amount of Bloom doesn't really affect the the cup. I'd suggest you focus on the slow pour technique as best you can with the jug and the grind size to get the most out of the v60.

Enjoy playing with the new toy!

P.S. A teapot or oil pourer will work just as well as an expensive long neck kettle :)

donnacha wrote: »
    Enjoy playing with the new toy!

P.S. A teapot or oil pourer will work just as well as an expensive long neck kettle :)

Yeah, but you gotta have that Third Wave Buono/Bonavita coffee cred :pac:

It's so delicious tasting. I drank way too much today. Suffering now...

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I'm curious..

I use an aeropress and grind with a cheapo delonghi, but your post has me thinking about a pour over.

Is it worth adding a method other than the aeropress? Does the result vary that much?

Diiferences aren't huge to be honest, but if you are making coffee for 3 or 4 an aeropress can be a bit of a challenge. No harm in looking at one of the cheaper alternatives to see what you think though.

How are people finding their Bailies coffee? Have to say the sweet wonders isn't rocking it for me as much as I remember it doing so previously - could be just that I have had some really nice coffees in the meantime which have heightened my expectations :D

Still nice enough for the price and the kind of coffee that would go down well with more casual coffee drinkers as it's very drinkable, just lacking something a bit special imo.

How are people finding their Bailies coffee? Have to say the sweet wonders isn't rocking it for me as much as I remember it doing so previously - could be just that I have had some really nice coffees in the meantime which have heightened my expectations :D

Still nice enough for the price and the kind of coffee that would go down well with more casual coffee drinkers as it's very drinkable, just lacking something a bit special imo.

Glad its not just me that's a bit underwhelmed by the sweet wonder. Its drinkable and a nice starter when I get into work in the mornings and get out my V60:D

Opened the Tiamo this morning and definitely preferring it to the sweet wonder - note to self! :)

Opened the Tiamo this morning and definitely preferring it to the sweet wonder - note to self! :)

I've a tiamo and a filter blend but haven't openEd either yet.

By the way free delivery should apply to any 2 bags so email them if this is not happening.

I opened my v60 filters from ponaire and they are tiny:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Disaster. The wife bought a refurbished Breville Smart Grinder from the US as a surprise for my birthday and it came yesterday. We weren't aware of the voltage difference (110v vs 220v) between the US and here and plugged it in with an adapter and it exploded immediately when plugged in - big pop and a puff of smoke from the bottom, tripped the switches on the fusebox.

From some quick research online, I'm assuming it's a goner. Is there any point in even getting it checked out, or do we chalk it down to an expensive lesson in international electricity output?

Advertisement