Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

June&july calls/august intake

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hopeful20160

Thank you :-) could you please PM me the number? I had the letter set out this morning and I forgot it rushing to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

I'm in a bit of a quandary, I co-habit with my girlfriend of over 3 years but I'm still technically married. Do I need to "poke the tiger" and ask my ex to dig out our certificate even though we haven't been together for 8 years or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PCJigs132

Who all is bringing someone on the first day of inductions? I had said to the wife but wasn't sure if people usually don't bring anyone. What you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Birchwood11

PCJigs132 wrote: »
    Who all is bringing someone on the first day of inductions? I had said to the wife but wasn't sure if people usually don't bring anyone. What you doing?
    I'm also bringing my wife

• Registered Users Posts: 21 takemeaway2

Could someone pm me the number too. Forgot my letter here also. I'm bringing my dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭networksearch1

I'm going solo

ZeGerman wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a quandary, I co-habit with my girlfriend of over 3 years but I'm still technically married. Do I need to "poke the tiger" and ask my ex to dig out our certificate even though we haven't been together for 8 years or so?
    If you have not gone through divorce proceedings you would need it I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BigTasty

Also going solo

May seem like a silly question so apologies in advance, but part of filling in the forms at the booklet requires a medical card number. I don't have a medical card, to my knowledge anyway. Is this something I can request from my GP or does it only apply if you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Tricop

BigTasty wrote: »
    May seem like a silly question so apologies in advance, but part of filling in the forms at the booklet requires a medical card number. I don't have a medical card, to my knowledge anyway. Is this something I can request from my GP or does it only apply if you have one?
    Yes, just phone GP/reception and mention need it for job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Padawan88

I'm going solo aswell :)
    Yes just ring your GP reception and they can give you it, thats what I did

Cheers folks, gave them a call and got it no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

ZeGerman wrote: »

Same situation I was in - no need for the marriage certificate if you tell them you are separated but the will need a copy of the divorce decree when you get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Pcplod16

Glad im not the only one going solo!

Now I feel a bit naff though! Bringing my daddy! While everyone else is solo or with partners! haha - can someone please pm me the number for registering his car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Pcplod16

I pm'd you there with the number :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Padawan88

Now I feel a bit naff though! Bringing my daddy! While everyone else is solo or with partners! haha - can someone please pm me the number for registering his car?
    dont feel naff, i asked my Dad and he blew me out, only cause hes working tho.

Pcplod16 wrote: »
    I pm'd you there with the number :-)
    Thank you! :) All sorted now!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bigfish22

Also bringing my Dad with me, feeling rather privileged as he chose coming tomorrow over his weekly round of golf lol

Another form related question guys. Appointment date: is that first date of induction or first date of training?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Birchwood11

Another form related question guys. Appointment date: is that first date of induction or first date of training?
    First date of training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 P95

I'm bringing my dad too haha so do t feel naff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

Hey guys! Congrats on getting the call!! Im a few weeks In now, and I love it. Im gonna put a few hints and tips up here for yous coming in, hopefully youll find them helpful!

On intake sunday, ladies, flat shoes. Trust me. You have no need for heeled shoes in here. Youre on your feet from 9am until about 9pm, and thats before you even start ironing and unpacking and what not. Youll change into uniform about half way through the day, so bare that in mind too.

9.5 times out of ten you'll be sharing a room with someone, unless theres an uneven number of males/females, so split your chores. One person do the polishing, another do the tacking. It'll make life much easier for yous, and take half the time. And invest in decent parcel tape. You wont get anything better for your floors. Lint rollers work well on your uniform, but I stick to parcel tape. Don't buy the stuff from the pound shop, an extra 50p buys the better stuff. Other people will say different, but there is a noticable difference to me. Also, consideration for space: there is no space. Pack lightly.

Be prepared for long days, easy days are few and far between. Let your loved ones know that contact will be scarce for the first month. Youll be awake from 6am to iron and hoover and tack and polish, and thats before show parades. The first few weeks, you wont get more than four hours sleep. If you do, you're forgetting to do something.

Don't forget to ask the senior squads for help! Thats what we're here for. Remember, we have done exactly the same as you, so know what you're feeling and going through. We arn't scary, although, some of us do look it, especially at breakfast.

Ladies, don't bother with make up, its not worth the time and effort. Youll forget youre not wearing any within the first hour. Make sure you have a million and one bobby pins. You'll need them. Don't buy buns for below your cap, they wont fit, and its just a waste of money. Spend your money on hairspray and bobby pins.

Show parades happen. You will have about 15 the first week. Even if you are impeccably dressed and your boots are like glass, you're going to get show parades. Don't take me saying that as an excuse for not putting 100% into your uniforms and your rooms, but you will get them regardless. Don't get annoyed or angry, just put your head down, man up and deal with them. Team work is key. If you dont pull together, you will all pay for it.

Set up your whatsapp groups early. Brilliant way to bond. HOWEVER, no inappropriateness or stupidity. It's extremely unprofessional and as much as you can have the craic, you do need the group to work efficiently. Its a brilliant means of communication, just make sure you use it properly.

You are always being watched. Keep your head down. If you make a mistake, the staff will have much more respect for you if you admit it and ask for help than trying to cover it up.

Don't let any of that put you off. The course is amazing, and the people are sone of the best I have ever met. You will be exhausted, the biggest thing you can ask off from your family and friends is to be there when you need them. Be supportive, and ask them to help you.but also let them know that you cannot text and call them the way you may have been able to do before, because you simply will not have the time. But this is a place they cannot understand unless they are going through it themselves. You will find that out very quickly as soon as you start. Days fly past you and its tea time before you even notice you havent been able to talk to anyone at all. Tell them not to pressure you into replying, and explain that youre not replying because you don't want to, it because you literally can't. As soon as the first four weeks get past you, things will calm. If you survive the first four weeks, you can survive anything!!

Good luck, and im really really looking forward to meeting you all on intake sunday. We'll have a blast.

If you need any advice about anything before going in, just send me a message. Similarly girls, if you need advice on hair/make up etc, just drop me a line.

See you soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭blueboat

Very helpful advice Delilahbeau, I just received my progressing letter so hopefully i'll be able to apply these tips in the near future!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Bunsen1burner

blueboat wrote: »
    Very helpful advice Delilahbeau, I just received my progressing letter so hopefully i'll be able to apply these tips in the near future!

Second that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Hey guys! Congrats on getting the call!! Im a few weeks In now, and I love it. Im gonna put a few hints and tips up here for yous coming in, hopefully youll find them helpful!

On intake sunday, ladies, flat shoes. Trust me. You have no need for heeled shoes in here. Youre on your feet from 9am until about 9pm, and thats before you even start ironing and unpacking and what not. Youll change into uniform about half way through the day, so bare that in mind too.

9.5 times out of ten you'll be sharing a room with someone, unless theres an uneven number of males/females, so split your chores. One person do the polishing, another do the tacking. It'll make life much easier for yous, and take half the time. And invest in decent parcel tape. You wont get anything better for your floors. Lint rollers work well on your uniform, but I stick to parcel tape. Don't buy the stuff from the pound shop, an extra 50p buys the better stuff. Other people will say different, but there is a noticable difference to me. Also, consideration for space: there is no space. Pack lightly.

Be prepared for long days, easy days are few and far between. Let your loved ones know that contact will be scarce for the first month. Youll be awake from 6am to iron and hoover and tack and polish, and thats before show parades. The first few weeks, you wont get more than four hours sleep. If you do, you're forgetting to do something.

Don't forget to ask the senior squads for help! Thats what we're here for. Remember, we have done exactly the same as you, so know what you're feeling and going through. We arn't scary, although, some of us do look it, especially at breakfast.

Ladies, don't bother with make up, its not worth the time and effort. Youll forget youre not wearing any within the first hour. Make sure you have a million and one bobby pins. You'll need them. Don't buy buns for below your cap, they wont fit, and its just a waste of money. Spend your money on hairspray and bobby pins.

Show parades happen. You will have about 15 the first week. Even if you are impeccably dressed and your boots are like glass, you're going to get show parades. Don't take me saying that as an excuse for not putting 100% into your uniforms and your rooms, but you will get them regardless. Don't get annoyed or angry, just put your head down, man up and deal with them. Team work is key. If you dont pull together, you will all pay for it.

Set up your whatsapp groups early. Brilliant way to bond. HOWEVER, no inappropriateness or stupidity. It's extremely unprofessional and as much as you can have the craic, you do need the group to work efficiently. Its a brilliant means of communication, just make sure you use it properly.

You are always being watched. Keep your head down. If you make a mistake, the staff will have much more respect for you if you admit it and ask for help than trying to cover it up.

Don't let any of that put you off. The course is amazing, and the people are sone of the best I have ever met. You will be exhausted, the biggest thing you can ask off from your family and friends is to be there when you need them. Be supportive, and ask them to help you.but also let them know that you cannot text and call them the way you may have been able to do before, because you simply will not have the time. But this is a place they cannot understand unless they are going through it themselves. You will find that out very quickly as soon as you start. Days fly past you and its tea time before you even notice you havent been able to talk to anyone at all. Tell them not to pressure you into replying, and explain that youre not replying because you don't want to, it because you literally can't. As soon as the first four weeks get past you, things will calm. If you survive the first four weeks, you can survive anything!!

Good luck, and im really really looking forward to meeting you all on intake sunday. We'll have a blast.

If you need any advice about anything before going in, just send me a message. Similarly girls, if you need advice on hair/make up etc, just drop me a line.

See you soon!!

I'm still a long way off but very much appreciate this advice :)
    Glad all is going well in GV.

See you soon!!
    Hi,
    What way do the meals work?are they paid for or part paid for?I was told they were covered to a certain amount but then in the canteen there are boards up in the counter about student officer specials IE breakfast for 1.60..??

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

See you soon!!
    Hi,
    What way do the meals work?are they paid for or part paid for?I was told they were covered to a certain amount but then in the canteen there are boards up in the counter about student officer specials IE breakfast for 1.60..??

You are given around 10 a day for the first four weeks, it should be enough for 3 decent meals. After the four weeks you pay for food yourself unless you're residential

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

You are given around 10 a day for the first four weeks, it should be enough for 3 decent meals. After the four weeks you pay for food yourself unless you're residential

Even those on residential have to pay past the first four weeks now. There's no facilities to cook your own food, so most of us survive on ready meals and sandwiches, unless you want to buy from the canteen everyday. I live mostly on fruit, cereal and coffee, so it isn't too bad, and there's a big supermarket nearby too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement