Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New craft beers & ciders in Lidl

• 04-07-2016 5:24pm

Not sure was it posted in here but I found this via a bargain thread in another forum.

http://contractpeople.com/2016/06/lidl-new-craft-beers/
    Lidl is planning to add 25 new craft beers and ciders to its 146 Irish stores, as a result of the increase in demand in the craft beer market. This also comes after Lidl’s successful launch of its new Irish craft beer range ‘The Crafty Brewing Company’.

The new range of products will become a permanent feature in Lidl stores nationwide, as of Monday, 11th July. The new range will include a variety of larger, cider, stout, ale and wheat beer.

The extended range will include 16 new Irish and Northern Irish craft beers and ciders, along with five Belgian craft beers and four British ales. With these additions, Lidl’s craft beer offering now has a total of 30 products. .

Our good friends in the Crafty Brewing have expanded into Cider even though they haven't been able to manage stock of the IPA yet.
    Prices for O'Hara's weren't given.

McGargles coming in higher than Super Valu(and others) i.e Big Banging is E3.50 but can be got 3 for E9 elsewhere since launch.

Trouble Brewing at E3 is also overpriced.

I'm most interested in the Cider options myself, since I tried a Stonewell I've got the lip for some decent craft cider but the options are few and far between and I'm not stumping E4 a bottle in the off license for Stonewell with IPAs I love being 4 for E10 or 3 for E9.
    I tried the Aldi Armagh and it's nice but I'd prefer a 5%+ drink if I'm stumping up nearly E2.50 a bottle.

Hoping this McCanns fills that price gap.

Some other Belgium 4 packs but two seem to be stouts from my brief search which isn't my scene.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Hey gilberto_eire, the thread you posted in was really old, so I've split your post into a new thread so that people don't mistakenly reply to 5-year old irrelevant posts :).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Great to have more options handy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rye River need to get their stocking (and I imagine production for the higher ABV/hoppier products) sorted if they're extending coverage. Francis has very poor stock levels in the Dunnes/Independents that have it and the Crafty IPA is barely ever there.

Not that I help the latter by buying 8 of them most times I see it, but if it was there more often I wouldn't do that! (lovely stock control paradox there)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Belgians look good, wouldnt be going near the O'Haras stuff unless i was badly stuck, havent had a nice 'new' beer from them in a long time, all their newer efforts have been poor for me, thinking about Amber, Hop Adventure, Red IPA etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

My local Lidl seems pretty unusual in always having a good stock of the Crafty IPA!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm most interested in the Cider options myself, since I tried a Stonewell I've got the lip for some decent craft cider but the options are few and far between and I'm not stumping E4 a bottle in the off license for Stonewell with IPAs I love being 4 for E10 or 3 for E9.
    I tried the Aldi Armagh and it's nice but I'd prefer a 5%+ drink if I'm stumping up nearly E2.50 a bottle.

Hoping this McCanns fills that price gap.

McCann's is decent. Tesco used to sell 750ml bottles for £1.99 up here but they've disappeared recently, which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

The Crafty Brewing Company 6% abv Irish IPA is one of the nicest beers I have ever tasted its better than any of McGargles own branded stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Other additions to Lidl’s new range includes a selection of Belgian craft beers, which includes the

‘Corsendonk’ Pater Dubbel - http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/41/179593/
    Petrus Dubbel Bruin - http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/718/26203/
    Gauloise Bruin - http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/805/6059/
    Gauloise Blonde - http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/805/12767/
    Gauloise Amber - http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/805/13155/

All €7.99 each (four-pack).

This is also welcome news and a good price:
    The final introductions include four British ales from the ‘Shepherd Neame’ range, all priced at €2.19 each.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This is also welcome news and a good price:
    The Burns Ale is possibly the worst commercial beer I've tasted this year. I've written a run-down of some of the new stuff here.

• Advertisement

This is my locals shelf now and a picture of the new CBC's Cider.

Bit disappointed in the Cider price, thought it was E2.25 until I'd paid but it seems from the pic that was just the dry version.
    Both are 4.5% which is ok at €2.25 but not at E3.00.
    Too low of a volume for that price and I'll probably just go for the Aldi- Armagh Cider between the two.

If I'd known it was E3 I'd have tried a McCanns. (which sadly is also E3 and 4.5%)

Good news on the Crafty IPA, that particular store never had it and there's a good flurry of them on the top shelf so maybe the issues are sorted.

On the English E2.20 bottles, it's worth noting they're all 3.8%-4% so not for someone like me who wants a 5%+ for E2.50 purchases.

The Belgium bottles look seriously tempting, 330 ml but at E8 and considering they're mainly 6%+, I'll definitely give them a run through.

Lol, I wasn't expecting Westmalle or Chimay at those prices but they might be worth a try. My guilty pleasure is Affligem blonde which doesn't cost much more than these. As far as Shepherd Neame I mainly go for the odd Spitfire or Bishop's Finger which I guess they already stock. I like them, especially in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Burns Ale is possibly the worst commercial beer I've tasted this year. I've written a run-down of some of the new stuff here.

Thanks.

Which is the best of the five Belgians?

You review four of the five, and it seems that the Gauloise Dubbel is your preferred?

What about the Corsendonk Pater dubbel?

Even if they're not the best beers, to have 33cl Belgian ales for 2.00 in Ireland is very good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Geuze wrote: »
    Which is the best of the five Belgians?
    I don't really do league tables but the blonde is probably the cleanest, easiest drinking and overall most technically proficient of them, IMO, but the Corsendonk is the one with the biggest flavour.
    What about the Corsendonk Pater dubbel?
    Already reviewed it so didn't give it a second outing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Full setup in my local now. No Crafty IPA. Space for Francis but sold out. Bought a few Trouble and some Shepard Neame but the prices are nothing to write home about.

Is it possible that Maynooth has a special breed of strong IPA lovers? The students are all away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Talking the manager in my local Lidl tonight and he reckons the Belgians are only temporary and not going to be a regular fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Was in Dundrum one today. Plenty of Crafty IPA.

Also stocking Trouble Brewing stuff (Dark Arts, Sabotage, Graffiti and Deception), McGargles Francis Big Banging IPA (the 500ML) as well as all the O Hara's stuff (minus Leann Follainn).

Talking the manager in my local Lidl tonight and he reckons the Belgians are only temporary and not going to be a regular fixture.

Ahh, that's a pity.

I wonder is it due to slow sales?

I must buy some Corsendonk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ahh, that's a pity.

I wonder is it due to slow salesk.

Might have been a bulk buy from the breweries

• Advertisement

This is my locals shelf now and a picture of the new CBC's Cider.

Bit disappointed in the Cider price, thought it was E2.25 until I'd paid but it seems from the pic that was just the dry version.

Both are 4.5% which is ok at €2.25 but not at E3.00.
    Too low of a volume for that price and I'll probably just go for the Aldi- Armagh Cider between the two.

If I'd known it was E3 I'd have tried a McCanns. (which sadly is also E3 and 4.5%)

Good news on the Crafty IPA, that particular store never had it and there's a good flurry of them on the top shelf so maybe the issues are sorted

On the English E2.20 bottles, it's worth noting they're all 3.8%-4% so not for someone like me who wants a 5%+ for E2.50 purchases.

The Belgium bottles look seriously tempting, 330 ml but at E8 and considering they're mainly 6%+, I'll definitely give them a run through.

Good news and bad news with these two bod points.

Seems the E3 price of the (medium) Cider was an overprice as it's now the same as the Dry option at E2.25... which isn't bad, E3 was definitely too high.

Sadly though the IPA was completely gone again. Must have just got lucky the first time I went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Loving the Gaulouise Ambree, seriously refreshing.

Advertisement