Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many beers do you drink a week ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Of course, it goes without saying, how about u ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I was drinking about 6 craft beers and a half a bottle of burbon a weeknight and 10 pints and a half bottle of burbon on the weekends so that was 50 pints and 4 bottles a week up untill September.
    i decided that that was too much so now i have cut back to feck all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

why the cut down in volume ?

To be more productive. Time spent drinking for me is time I could be learning something or gaining in some way. I've also started to get wicked hangovers...even when I'm not hungover, my head can be cloudy for the first part of the day. Even with 3-4 beers.

yes I agree on the cloudy head, used to be ok after a few, now the cloud lasts the whole day, although I can still drink 4 beers, large bottles or pints, if I have 5-6-7 I am unable to work, or function very well, I do think beer is lovely, but in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

used to for years about 30-40 pints per week , body began to feel it at only mid thirties. Have cut down to between 10-20(at most) per week for the last few months, and have began to feel much better.

• Advertisement

yes the sessions do take a toll, but what a pleasure a few beers are !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Average 40 pints a week Thurs-Sun.

40 is alot, but not out of the norm in this country, bet your under 35 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TimANDco.

honestly around 35- 42 a week, depending. that Food and Beverage work will really make ya a drinker

Mmmmm Beer, had two heineken last night, and now have a headache, usually drink Weiss Beer, heineken is muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

40 is alot, but not out of the norm in this country, bet your under 35 !!!

Yeah by about four month's!

yeah, but as you get older, the hangovers get harder, it naturally tapers back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

It also tapers back because you have less free time, very hard to go on the tear when you're working and only have two days off to get other stuff done.

True, kids, work, etc etc, all take up your time, but a few beers are nice, just not too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Had two bottles of Dungarvan Brewing Company Barely Wine last night - was actually very enjoyable. Different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Was told last week by my doctor to STOP drinking altogether for six months trial period :( as I've been Type 2 diabetic for over ten years now.

I tend to binge drink at weekends - usually six pints of cider and up to a 70 cl bottle of vodka with Red Bull on a Friday or Saturday night (I omitted to tell the doc about the vodka!) Now that I've been "advised" to alter my ways I'm looking at Bulmers Light and vodka with 7 up free.

My son and his friends gather for drinks at our house before they head out into town around midnight and I join in with the games of cards and drinking games. There's only me and my son live at home, so no-one to complain about it or moderate it for me! Occasionally I have a few bottles of cider or lager when there's a match on TV during the week, but not so often now as I find it very difficult to get up for work next day.

I've always enjoyed alcohol, but reading through what I've just typed is a little bit scary :(

Great honest reply, I think if you can only drink on a Frida and Saturday, your grand, its also wise to have a limited amount, I only drink beer, don't know how you can drink red bull, horrible stuff, stick to beer and you might be better off, what age are you ?

Great honest reply, I think if you can only drink on a Frida and Saturday, your grand, its also wise to have a limited amount, I only drink beer, don't know how you can drink red bull, horrible stuff, stick to beer and you might be better off, what age are you ?

Turned 50 a few weeks ago. Time to grow up I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mickymcmuck

Was told last week by my doctor to STOP drinking altogether for six months trial period :( as I've been Type 2 diabetic for over ten years now.

I tend to binge drink at weekends - usually six pints of cider and up to a 70 cl bottle of vodka with Red Bull on a Friday or Saturday night (I omitted to tell the doc about the vodka!) Now that I've been "advised" to alter my ways I'm looking at Bulmers Light and vodka with 7 up free.

My son and his friends gather for drinks at our house before they head out into town around midnight and I join in with the games of cards and drinking games. There's only me and my son live at home, so no-one to complain about it or moderate it for me! Occasionally I have a few bottles of cider or lager when there's a match on TV during the week, but not so often now as I find it very difficult to get up for work next day.

I've always enjoyed alcohol, but reading through what I've just typed is a little bit scary :(

Cut out carbs during the week, eat fat/protein, easier than you think. This will give your pancreas a break. You will also loose weight.
    At weekend drink your vodka with sugar free mixers, you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

I had to cut out the beer in February due to being diagnosed as borderline diabetic, I miss the beer, when I was drinking I would make sure I had at least 8 pints of strong beer. How do you feel while you're on the beer and vodka and the day after with type 2 diabetes, I don't mean to be nosey, just asking as I am thinking of going back to having a few pints on friday nights.

• Advertisement

Cut out carbs during the week, eat fat/protein, easier than you think. This will give your pancreas a break. You will also loose weight.
    At weekend drink your vodka with sugar free mixers, you will be fine.

I'm vegetarian and tend not to eat too much fat/protein. Diet consists mainly of carbs...... lots of bread, pasta, cereals. I'm only slightly overweight (maybe half a stone above what the doc recommended) and my blood sugar levels are normal almost all of the time.

As for the drink, I've changed from original to Bulmers Light, and no longer use Red Bull. I've discovered that 7 Up Free actually tastes better with vodka than Red Bull does :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Probably about 30-35 pints of carlsberg per week

beercr8te wrote: »
    I had to cut out the beer in February due to being diagnosed as borderline diabetic, I miss the beer, when I was drinking I would make sure I had at least 8 pints of strong beer. How do you feel while you're on the beer and vodka and the day after with type 2 diabetes, I don't mean to be nosey, just asking as I am thinking of going back to having a few pints on friday nights.

I've always seemed to control my diabetes quite well (without really working hard at it). Get checked out every six months and I never have bad results - obviously they're not perfect but like yourself, I'm borderline too.

As for how do I feel after a session? I'm not sure there's any difference between the feeling I have now and the feeling I used to get years before I had diabetes. Generally just feel a bit groggy for the day, but don't suffer from terrible hangovers fortunately.

I think GPs tend to advise people to stop drinking regardless. Obviously alcohol in large amounts is bad for us, but I think the medical profession go a bit overboard at times.

It's pretty unrealistic to expect people to stop drinking altogether. Social life for most of us revolves around alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

The amount of alcohol here is a lot. How much do people spend on a their weekly session? I can blow €100 on a Saturday no problem(adds up quite fast)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Spent 275 between last Friday morning to Monday morning. That covered all beer, pool, music box, 2 chipper feeds, also 2 taxis,and nightclub entrance

wally1990 wrote: »
    The amount of alcohol here is a lot. How much do people spend on a their weekly session? I can blow €100 on a Saturday no problem(adds up quite fast)

€100 is about right for a night out. That's why I tend to do most of my drinking at home - deals in off-licences or supermarkets usually have 20 bottles of Carlsberg etc for under €20. A bottle of vodka in Aldi is only €12.99. No taxis, no nightclubs, no chippers, no additional expenses at all. I'm lucky in that there's usually a crowd in my house too (my son and his friends), so I'm not drinking home alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭ballyargus

2 or 3 sessions a week. Usually 12 cans or pints per session. Maybe a bottle of wine or Baileys thrown in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

6 pints every weeknight in the pub, followed by prob 4 or 5 cans at home.
    weekends maybe 6 to 8 cans per day.

All good here, but I should prob cut down.

Mech1 wrote: »
    6 pints every weeknight in the pub, followed by prob 4 or 5 cans at home.
    weekends maybe 6 to 8 cans per day.

All good here, but I should prob cut down.

:eek:

Did you win the Lotto recently?

If you're at work, how do you manage to get up in the morning? I had to cut out mid-week drinking long ago, unless I have the following day booked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

:eek:

Did you win the Lotto recently?

If you're at work, how do you manage to get up in the morning? I had to cut out mid-week drinking long ago, unless I have the following day booked off.

No Witherspoons €3.25 per pint cans Bulmers €10 for 8, so less than €150 per week.

No problem with hangovers or getting up, but turning 50 this year so its prob gonnaa start catching up on me!

Advertisement