Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Identifying symbol on old os map

• 27-06-2016 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Can anyone identify the symbol beside the ring fort? The curved shape.
    Thinking maybe a wall, or dwelling? Thank you.
    image.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

You mean with the .203 in it? Not a dwelling or a wall as they would be permanent structures and probably given a solid line and more definition. The broken line suggest that it is a temporary item or boundary. Looking at various images, I'd suggest it was used to mark out the area where scrub is dominant. Looking at google maps, you can see the area still has scrub in it with the same shape. It was probably easier to maintain that remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Nothing interesting then..😹😹

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I think you mean the curved shape under "162" in the ringfort?

According to this link: http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Support15.pdf it seems to mean areas enclosed are included in the same area. Not sure what that means - that 162 is included in the overall figure of 1.437?

So maybe 162 is the area of the ringfort and the enclosed field with a size of 1.437 includes this figure. Thats my thinking at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

It means the area of the ringfort is included in the overall area of the surrounding field (1.437 acres).
    There's another one on the left above "5.306".

I think the symbol is a stylised "Section Sign" § https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_sign
    Map makers drew them so often that they ended up just looking like elongated S's.

162 is the spot height in feet incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

Hi I am renovating an old farmhouse and have been trying to establish through maps just how old it is; does anyone know how I can find out the age of the old map on the OSI site - ( ordnance mapviewer) as it is shown .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

bozd wrote: »
    Hi I am renovating an old farmhouse and have been trying to establish through maps just how old it is; does anyone know how I can find out the age of the old map on the OSI site - ( ordnance mapviewer) as it is shown .
    The first edition Ordnance Survey (6") mapping began in 1824 and was completed in 1846 though as rule of thumb, most users of the website consider the first edition mapping to represent an average of around 1830-1835, or thereabouts.
    The second edition mapping (25") is from the 1880s, though there may be some sections that are from the 1911 edition. Again as a rule of thumb, circa 1880 is the accepted period.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

Slowburner thank you very much for that. In previous searches I didnt get much luck but with that detail I can narrow things down a bit - I am doing a blog of sorts on it so that will a bit of historical background.

Advertisement