Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bin Charges by Company.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

earlyapex wrote: »
    When my broadband price changes during my contact term I can terminate my contract and switch provider without penalty, so why would my bin contract be different?
    It's just another service provider.

Has anyone got information like this about leaving their contract?
    all the waste companies are basically charging the same rates, some are slightly cheaper with service charge but make that up with a higher kg charge

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Allied Waste, Mullingar

Service charge €2.99 per week
    Waste 25c
    Recycle 5c
    No brown bin available in the area

Hi, is Allied Waste now called Allied Recycling? Just wondering as I haven't received my information pack yet. Did they happen to mention how the service charge will be applied?

Thanks,

Sinead

• Registered Users Posts: 45 reach for the stars

Amazing how there is not much difference between the prices for companies that are introducing a new type of service ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Country Clean in Co.Cork have not announced their prices.

Thats because they are waiting for the rivals to announce their charges first.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

I received an email from City bin also "the most appropriate (cheapest) option for you is plan 1 below. You don’t need to do anything to avail of this plan, you will be switched automatically on July 1st."

Weekly standing Charge 2.25
    Black Bin 0.39 pkg
    Brown Bin 0.32 pkg
    Green Bin FOC

I was given no other option and from the looks of things this is the most expensive option available.

If even one company was to show they weren't profiteering form the new legislation I would sign up immediately, as I'm sure most other people would too. :mad:

I emailed City bin stating I know of cheaper plans etc. They came back and said they made an eror and offered me €2.99 per week and 30c and 20C per Kg, same as on website if I try to sign up now.

I only joined last month after moving house and paid full annual fee in advance so I asked what happens this money....

the 2.99 per week if paid in annual amount is €139 nd then 11% off if you pay in advance.

Based on a 25Kg grey/black bin and 13Kg brown bin I am looking at 100% increase on the fee I paid a month ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

earlyapex wrote: »
    When my broadband price changes during my contact term I can terminate my contract and switch provider without penalty, so why would my bin contract be different?
    It's just another service provider.

Has anyone got information like this about leaving their contract?

I emailed City Bin asking am I under a contract as I paid in advance or seeing as they changedthe pric can i get a refund.

Waiting on reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Does a household have to have a bin service?? Could you hold onto your waste in you own bought bins and bring it to a civic amenity centre at regular intervals at a cheaper cost than the current proposed cost from the bin companies?

doolox wrote: »
    Does a household have to have a bin service?? Could you hold onto your waste in you own bought bins and bring it to a civic amenity centre at regular intervals at a cheaper cost than the current proposed cost from the bin companies?

Yes you can but get and keep receipts just to prove you are not dumping it illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Interesting wording of the Thorntons letter re: Green Bin - said that they had decided "not to charge at this time"

hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

AWD in wicklow has posted the following prices
    13445236_10155229896338849_8981250680165407973_n.jpg?oh=1c3113743fd94df38ce776098dad916a&oe=57E256D1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭smjm

vickers209 wrote: »

At least they say they'll be publishing a different price plan for the occasional user next week. That's where some of us are seeing a big rise, with a yearly charge no matter how many or few times we put the bin out.

smjm wrote: »
    At least they say they'll be publishing a different price plan for the occasional user next week. That's where some of us are seeing a big rise, with a yearly charge no matter how many or few times we put the bin out.
    That will just be a lower service charge with much higher price per kg the same as all the rest!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That will just be a lower service charge with much higher price per kg the same as all the rest!

Very possibly, given how things are going, or could be that the backlash is having an effect! Be interesting to see, to confirm one way or the other. :)

several of the other companies have two price plans to take the lower volume user into the mix and make sure they pay as much of the increase as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Here are the prices Barna Recycling in Galway (Headford area) have quoted:

€17/month service charge
    €0.22c/kg general was/black bin
    No charge by weight on recycling
    No brown/organic bin service offered

Not too bad considering.... this is changing from a flat fee of €175 for 6 months.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Greenstar Kilkenny have listed the following prices:

Bill Pay Account
    Monthly Charge €14.50
    General Waste per KG €0.25
    Recycling per KG €0.00
    Compost per KG €0.15

For the record, they don't currently supply a compost/brown bin, it all has to go in with the general waste. Greenstar also take glass in the recycling bin. The current charge is 31.50/month

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It pretty clear that that cin companies have attempted to use the new PBW scheme as a way to increase revenue.

The standing charges have, in most cases, been brought up to close to the current all in prices in places that currently have all in, so that regardless of what the customer does the revenue stream is pretty much guaranteed to remain at the very least the current levels.

Couple that with the significant markup on the minimum per PG pricing and it is, in most cases, impossible to lower you overall bill, save for most using the bins at all, in which case the standing charge is irrelevant.

A standing charge of €3+ per week is simply a rip off. There really should be no standing charge, a cost per lift maybe but why would you pay a standing charge to have bins sitting in your driveway. There is no cost to the bin company to service you bins outside of the collection

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I don't rate Coveney's chances on getting a result. I think they actually have scored a glorious own goal again and cannot get out of it fast enough. The industry is run by private enterprise and they are entitled it would seem to seek a fair price to do the work, although there is evidence here that they won't thread on each others patch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When DCC 'sold' their bin collection to Greyhound in a secret deal, not one bin company would quote us for our bin collection. Panda were collecting bins in our road and Thorntons were collecting nearby as well as Keywaste.

There was clearly some type of embargo over the changeover. I never found out why, but then Citybin started up and have been far superior to Greyhound - even forcing Greyhound to cut their charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

When DCC 'sold' their bin collection to Greyhound in a secret deal, not one bin company would quote us for our bin collection. Panda were collecting bins in our road and Thorntons were collecting nearby as well as Keywaste.

There was clearly some type of embargo over the changeover. I never found out why, but then Citybin started up and have been far superior to Greyhound - even forcing Greyhound to cut their charges.

Have a feeling the consumer is going to lose out on this one, even if Coveney bats the issue away for a year it will come back with teeth.

• Advertisement

Agent_47 wrote: »
    I don't rate Coveney's chances on getting a result. I think they actually have scored a glorious own goal again and cannot get out of it fast enough. The industry is run by private enterprise and they are entitled it would seem to seek a fair price to do the work, although there is evidence here that they won't thread on each others patch.
    Agent_47 wrote: »
    Have a feeling the consumer is going to lose out on this one, even if Coveney bats the issue away for a year it will come back with teeth.

Coveney has been saying how he believes that putting the whole lot on hold for a year will give people the chance to get used to the new charges and the companies will then be able to bring in their new charges without as much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I don't have a problem with paying by weight, in fact I much prefer it as it rewards those who produce less waste. I agree quite strongly with polluter pays policies, likewise with water, use more water, pay more for water.

The issue I have is that a weekly service charge that works out quite close to your previous annual fee is proportionally punishing the recycler more. It doesn't matter if you put your bin out every week, or every month, you're paying the same service charge.

Currently we have a waste, compost and recycling bin that are collected every two weeks for an annual fee. I can't remember the last time the waste bin was put out full. Except for plastic wrappers, toiletries containers, meat containers tin foil, cling film and dog poo, not much else is put in it. The odd hoover bag maybe and broken cup perhaps. It's only put out every second week as its collected as part of the yearly charge.
    Everything else is recycled or composted and glass containers and bottles are brought to the bottle bank every so often

What would be a much fairer system in terms of polluter pays is a lift fee plus a price per kg

Pay by weight has been in the pipeline since announced by Martin Cullen in 2003, you'd think the 3/4 government's over that period would have came up with a decent system by now

What would be a much fairer system in terms of polluter pays is a lift fee plus a price per kg

I'd like to stick with the pay-per-lift only scheme that I use now. It already encourages reduced waste in general, and also encourages separation of recyclables by charging far less per lift: €13.50 for general waste and €6.50 for recyclables.

My collector also already operates an alternative scheme, with a flat yearly service charge and pay-per-weight on top of it.

People get to choose. Both schemes are environmentally friendly, and I don't know anyone who thinks the current system in our area is unfair.

Now the collector is basically scrapping the pay-per-lift choice, which will screw everyone using it. Ridiculous and totally unnecessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Repak have had people sifting through the general waste brought in to the waste centres and the incinerator in meath
    Separating materials that are recyclable from the general waste

Expect a damming report that we are no recycling enough
    Therefore justifying the pay by weight system

Convey has forced them
    To lift green recycling bins for free
    Which is a mistruth in it's self

It's just waffle

It's like asking mc Donald's to give milkshakes for free
    And now charge the same for a Big Mac as last year

The service charge is a way to recoup the losses the companies will have by collecting recycling bins

The bottom has fallen out of the paper markets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Repak have had people sifting through the general waste brought in to the waste centres and the incinerator in meath
    Separating materials that are recyclable from the general waste

Expect a damming report that we are no recycling enough
    Therefore justifying the pay by weight system

Convey has forced them
    To lift green recycling bins for free
    Which is a mistruth in it's self

It's just waffle

It's like asking mc Donald's to give milkshakes for free
    And now charge the same for a Big Mac as last year

The service charge is a way to recoup the losses the companies will have by collecting recycling bins

The bottom has fallen out of the paper markets

Well as I threatened and carried out today, I cancelled my contract with AES.
    I pulled the general waste in the kitchen to find one scissors, two empty uncleaned tin cans, 1 large wooden spoon and the rest being fahrenheit 451 stuff. The birds got the waste bread, the outdoor burner got the fahrenheit 451 stuff and the sink got the tin cans. A lecture was handed out to the younger folk in the house on cleaning recyclables.
    Would therefore agree that we do not recycle enough but it is everyone that should recycle and not mere individuals in the household as it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Might be of interest to someone:

Just moved into a house in DCC area and need a waste provider. Rang City Bin and Greyhound. City Bin are applying pay by weight to all new customers. Greyhound advised me the plan was to stick to the pay by weight system for new customers but that could change and to ring back later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Olaz

vickers209 wrote: »

AWD have told us that if a customer is on pay by lift now and not on a contract then they will be moved to pay by weight from July 1st. They are no longer offering the pay by lift option. Are they correct in doing this does anyone know?

Olaz wrote: »
    AWD have told us that if a customer is on pay by lift now and not on a contract then they will be moved to pay by weight from July 1st. They are no longer offering the pay by lift option. Are they correct in doing this does anyone know?
    No they are not. they must keep customers on the prices they were paying before July 1st,

Another example of the companies being unscrupulous and the minister being totally useless! He's only fit for the bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Olaz

Thanks! Any idea who I could contact to clarify? Consumer agency?

• Advertisement

Minister Simon Coveney's office.

Advertisement