Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster Bank League 2016-2017 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

• 09-06-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

May as well create new thread to discuss new coaching set ups/rumours as well as transfer rumours etc

Divisions for next season:
    Division 1A:
    Clontarf, Cork Constitution, Young Munster, UCD, Garryowen, Old Belvedere, Lansdowne, Terenure College, St. Mary's College, Dublin University

Division 1B:
    Ballynahinch, Galwegians, Ballymena, Buccaneers, Old Wesley, Shannon, Dolphin, UL Bohemians, Naas, UCC

Division 2A:
    Blackrock College, Belfast Harlequins, Banbridge, Cashel, Nenagh Ormond, Malone, Queen's University, Corinthians, Highfield, Sunday's Well

Division 2B:
    Skerries, Thomond, City of Derry, Greystones, Armagh, MU Barnhall, Dunganon, Bective Rangers, Old Crescent, Wanderers

Division 2C:
    Rainey Old Boys, Seapoint, Tullamore, Bruff, Midleton, Navan, Kanturk, Boyne, Sligo, Bangor

IRFU announced a few weeks ago that the existing league structure will remain in place until at least the end of the 2017/18 season.
    But that there could be changes in the number of fully contracted players who can be in the match day squad in divisions 1 and that It may increase up to a max of four, of which two can be forwards.
    The Participation Criteria will remain in place, including the requirement for a Second XV playing in an appropriate second team competition in their province.
    The Club Support Scheme financial allocations will be aligned to participation criteria to reward clubs who achieve such criteria And The Player Points System will be retained.

Coaching changes
    - Galwegians are looking for a new coaching team as Matt Brown is stepping down as head coach and John Muldoon is not continuing as assistant coach

- Gearoid Prendergast is the new head coach of Young Munster and he will be assisted by Ian Keatley, John Staunton and current captain Ger Slattery.

Transfer News
    Any rumours??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Coaching changes
    - Galwegians are looking for a new coaching team as Matt Brown is stepping down as head coach and John Muldoon is not continuing as assistant coach

I wonder would George Noupou consider being a Player-Coach, had good success with the Womens team who won All-Ireland Cup and he looks like he could well play another season or two himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

May as well create new thread to discuss new coaching set ups/rumours as well as transfer rumours etc

Divisions for next season:
    Division 1A:
    Clontarf, Cork Constitution, Young Munster, UCD, Garryowen, Old Belvedere, Lansdowne, Terenure College, St. Mary's College, Dublin University

Division 1B:
    Ballynahinch, Galwegians, Ballymena, Buccaneers, Old Wesley, Shannon, Dolphin, UL Bohemians, Naas, UCC

Division 2A:
    Blackrock College, Belfast Harlequins, Banbridge, Cashel, Nenagh Ormond, Malone, Queen's University, Corinthians, Highfield, Sunday's Well

Division 2B:
    Skerries, Thomond, City of Derry, Greystones, Armagh, MU Barnhall, Dunganon, Bective Rangers, Old Crescent, Wanderers

Division 2C:
    Rainey Old Boys, Seapoint, Tullamore, Bruff, Midleton, Navan, Kanturk, Boyne, Sligo, Bangor

IRFU announced a few weeks ago that the existing league structure will remain in place until at least the end of the 2017/18 season.
    But that there could be changes in the number of fully contracted players who can be in the match day squad in divisions 1 and that It may increase up to a max of four, of which two can be forwards.
    The Participation Criteria will remain in place, including the requirement for a Second XV playing in an appropriate second team competition in their province.
    The Club Support Scheme financial allocations will be aligned to participation criteria to reward clubs who achieve such criteria And The Player Points System will be retained.

Coaching changes

- Gearoid Prendergast is the new head coach of Young Munster and he will be assisted by Ian Keatley, John Staunton and current captain Ger Slattery.

Transfer News
    Any rumours??

Dave Sherry & Shane McInerney (Both Garryowen) & Sean Coughlan to Old Belvedere
    Adam Griggs (Lansdowne) to Old Wesley - Player coach
    Patrick O'Driscoll (Lansdowne) to St Marys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭godzillaie

Mark Best - Belfast Harlequins to Ballymena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Stainalert wrote: »
    Dave Sherry & Shane McInerney (Both Garryowen) & Sean Coughlan to Old Belvedere
    Adam Griggs (Lansdowne) to Old Wesley - Player coach
    Patrick O'Driscoll (Lansdowne) to St Marys

Should probably read James McInerney..... Silly season has started in Limerick.....

Garryowen are also losing Jordan Coughlan, Shane Buckley, to Nottingham and rumours doing the rounds in Limerick are that they are losing Josh Hirsct who is going back to NZ and Aaron McCloskey is going back to Young Munster so that is practically their back 5 decimated but am sure they will pick up a few new players.

YM have picked up a few think Luke O'Halloran is supposed to have returned after a year with Shannon, McCloskey as mentioned above and will have Calvin Nash from the Crescent comp who will go straight into the first team, already played in a Junior Cup and Senior Cup finals, Cian Bohane is rumoured to have joined as well from Dolphin. They are losing Gearoid Lyons so will need to pick up a quality 10.

Shannon have signed a few out of school from Ard Scoil as expected but lost Tadhg Bennet and heard that Dave O'Donovan has retired

havent heard much about Bohs n the player front Prendergast and Don O'Sullivan left them to go to YM but Keith Mathews is due to take over as coach

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Should probably read James McInerney..... Silly season has started in Limerick.....

Garryowen are also losing Jordan Coughlan, Shane Buckley, to Nottingham and rumours doing the rounds in Limerick are that they are losing Josh Hirsct who is going back to NZ and Aaron McCloskey is going back to Young Munster so that is practically their back 5 decimated but am sure they will pick up a few new players.

YM have picked up a few think Luke O'Halloran is supposed to have returned after a year with Shannon, McCloskey as mentioned above and will have Calvin Nash from the Crescent comp who will go straight into the first team, already played in a Junior Cup and Senior Cup finals, Cian Bohane is rumoured to have joined as well from Dolphin. They are losing Gearoid Lyons so will need to pick up a quality 10.

Shannon have signed a few out of school from Ard Scoil as expected but lost Tadhg Bennet and heard that Dave O'Donovan has retired

havent heard much about Bohs n the player front Prendergast and Don O'Sullivan left them to go to YM but Keith Mathews is due to take over as coach
    Its silly season in Dublin/Limerick every season at this time of the year...
    Davey O Donovan was mentioned in papers that he's retiring but I wouldn't be surprised to see him tog out if Shannon really needed a win in a few games next season....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

A fair bit of movement up in Ulster, all Development and fully contracted players assigned to Hinch and Ballymena with the majority of academy and sub academy given a choice where to go

Conall Boomer to Ballymena and Brett Herron assigned following his move to Ulster.

Banbridge have recruited well, Andy McGrath from Ballymena, Michael Cromie from Rotherham and Ian Porter from Connacht

Queen's retaining all their academy players and have got Jonny Stewart the Ireland School's scrum half.

Malone have Keiran Joyce and Michael Shiels from Ballymena, Marc McCrea returns from Jersey.

Armagh have Chris Colvin returning from New Zealand and Ali Birch from Rotherham.

James McKinney talking to a few clubs apparently after leaving Rotherham.

Rumours that City of Derry could be losing up to 8 of their Senior Squad.

RuPi wrote: »
    A fair bit of movement up in Ulster, all Development and fully contracted players assigned to Hinch and Ballymena with the majority of academy and sub academy given a choice where to go

Conall Boomer to Ballymena and Brett Herron assigned following his move to Ulster.

Banbridge have recruited well, Andy McGrath from Ballymena, Michael Cromie from Rotherham and Ian Porter from Connacht

Queen's retaining all their academy players and have got Jonny Stewart the Ireland School's scrum half.

Malone have Keiran Joyce and Michael Shiels from Ballymena, Marc McCrea returns from Jersey.

Armagh have Chris Colvin returning from New Zealand and Ali Birch from Rotherham.

James McKinney talking to a few clubs apparently after leaving Rotherham.

Who has joined academy?

Boomer, McBurney, Stewart, any other names?

Zach McCall?
    Marcus Rea?

Both McCall and Rea have and both are at QUB next year. I think Conor Kelly from QUB was being considered, he was named in an Irish Development 7's squad a few weeks ago. Tommy O'Hagan from Rainey OB's is also joining the academy, primarily a loose head but I think can play both sides.

Matthew Rea from Ballymena (Marcus's older brother) has got a development deal.

There is always a few late joiners to the Academy, so wouldn't be surprised to see an exile popping up from somewhere and may be 1 of the Under 20's from Leinster who doesn't get an Academy deal. Jesse Iredale from Belvedere College had been mentioned.

Both McCall and Rea have and both are at QUB next year. I think Conor Kelly from QUB was being considered, he was named in an Irish Development 7's squad a few weeks ago. Tommy O'Hagan from Rainey OB's is also joining the academy, primarily a loose head but I think can play both sides.

Matthew Rea from Ballymena (Marcus's older brother) has got a development deal.

There is always a few late joiners to the Academy, so wouldn't be surprised to see an exile popping up from somewhere and may be 1 of the Under 20's from Leinster who doesn't get an Academy deal. Jesse Iredale from Belvedere College had been mentioned.

Iredale is u20 next year, heard he wa training with Ulster academy this summer alright.. essentially joining their u20 team. Best chance og making it pro for him is converting to prop IMO.

Heard Greg Jones heavily linked with Ulster after no Leinster deal pre World Cup.

so.
    Tommy O'Hagan(Prop)
    Zach McCall(Hooker)
    Adam McBurney(Hooker)
    Conal Boomer(Backrow)
    Marcus Rea(Backrow)
    Jonny Stewart(Scrumhalf)
    Conor Kelly(Wing/Fullback)

Plus a few more.

Matthew Rea is an impressive AIL backrow, likely a 6 like his brother.

Kelly was only muted not a definite. Aaron Hall an openside is in from the Under 18 Clubs, unsure of what club he is joining. Rory Butler a centre is also in, he was sub academy last year but had a long term injury, had played Ireland Schools, similar mould to Stuart McCloskey I think. He is leaving Ballymena for Queen's and Jack Owens also in the academy is moving to Malone, to try and loosely keep this UBL related.

Ricky Andrew is returning from Nottingham and has been linked to Rainey OB and Ballymena.

• Advertisement

Kelly was only muted not a definite. Aaron Hall an openside is in from the Under 18 Clubs, unsure of what club he is joining. Rory Butler a centre is also in, he was sub academy last year but had a long term injury, had played Ireland Schools, similar mould to Stuart McCloskey I think. He is leaving Ballymena for Queen's and Jack Owens also in the academy is moving to Malone, to try and loosely keep this UBL related.

Ricky Andrew is returning from Nottingham and has been linked to Rainey OB and Ballymena.

Thanks, Hall/Butler are in academy?

I was wondering what happened to Butler?

godzillaie wrote: »

Thanks, Hall/Butler are in academy?

I was wondering what happened to Butler?

Yep both in the Academy.

Yep both in the Academy.

Thanks, like the look of Hall.

Assume John McCusker will be added, could still be in school.

godzillaie wrote: »
    Yep both in the Academy.

Thanks, like the look of Hall.

Assume John McCusker will be added, could still be in school.
    Still in school as is Dalton, Hume and Clarke from the 18's this year. The 19's in Ulster should be fairly strong this year.

Still in school as is Dalton, Hume and Clarke from the 18's this year. The 19's in Ulster should be fairly strong this year.

Tom O'Toole still in school too?

Yeah they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Its silly season in Dublin/Limerick every season at this time of the year...
    Davey O Donovan was mentioned in papers that he's retiring but I wouldn't be surprised to see him tog out if Shannon really needed a win in a few games next season....
    I think Mulally is also gone from Shannon,Tobin who was badly injured 2 years ago is now back fully fit I hear...

Ray Hogan and Ivan Muldoon new coaches in Nenagh I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Tarf transfers I've heard are Cian O'Donoghue from Lansdowne, Jack Power (UCD), Alan Hughes (Rock) and the O'Brien brothers (Old Wesley). Will hopefully do very well out of 20s recruitment 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Sceptic

When are the fixtures been announced for 2016 / 2017?

When are the fixtures been announced for 2016 / 2017?
    Clubs have been told mid July but no exact date was given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Hearing Wanderers have picked up a fair few players from Dublin 1A / 1B clubs

Stainalert wrote: »
    Hearing Wanderers have picked up a fair few players from Dublin 1A / 1B clubs
    No surprise there. They seem to pick up a few fringe/ok players every year and succeed in doing nothing! I'll be interested to see how many have left Trin and where they are going. Rumour is a good few are moving on.

Schedule apparently is out but I haven't seen it. I've been told there is a 7 week gap over xmas. Not sure of the exact dates thereof.

James Ryan has signed for UCD. Himself and Thornbury with a front row of Porter, McNulty and Loughman will make a very formidable tight 5. Dan Leavy, Paeder Timmons and Will Connors will be a sick pack if they can get them all out at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 wows

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Schedule apparently is out but I haven't seen it. I've been told there is a 7 week gap over xmas. Not sure of the exact dates thereof.

James Ryan has signed for UCD. Himself and Thornbury with a front row of Porter, McNulty and Loughman will make a very formidable tight 5. Dan Leavy, Paeder Timmons and Will Connors will be a sick pack if they can get them all out at once.

they have Greg Jones too unless he moves North.

wouldn't expect to see Leavy much though.

Gap could be ok at Christmas but at same time I always found crowds went up if you got right game rather close to Christmas....
    Would be very very surprised if UCD ever got a pack like that out in a game.

And Brian McClearn is new coach with Wegians

Don't expect that pack to take the field either was more just pointing out that it is a possibility.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if they get a little bit of Leavey.

The games around Christmas always seem to be an absolute nuisance to the players.

Don't expect that pack to take the field either was more just pointing out that it is a possibility.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if they get a little bit of Leavey.

The games around Christmas always seem to be an absolute nuisance to the players.
    Look we've argued about it before but January 2nd games were a nuisance to some players but it could be argued it could help crowds.
    How much of a break around Christmas/New Year do you want?
    This season will be helped by No world cup.

What would your ideal season lay out be?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Look we've argued about it before but January 2nd games were a nuisance to some players but it could be argued it could help crowds.

Playing up until December 17th would be great as clubs could have Christmas parties following last game and back around the 7th of Jan is fine but not any earlier. No games during home internationals either as funny enough players enjoy the day out whether going or not.

Has James Ryan left Lansdowne? That is a strange move? Usually lads leave Uni to go to clubs very rarely the other way around. Must be the Andy Skeahan love in factor as new coach and a Michael's re-union. UCD must have serious options at 2nd row. Molony, McMahon, Thornbury, Ryan, Treacy from Under 20s last year and Reagan as well plus I know I am forgetting one or two? Is Jack Dwan there as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 wows

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Playing up until December 17th would be great as clubs could have Christmas parties following last game and back around the 7th of Jan is fine but not any earlier. No games during home internationals either as funny enough players enjoy the day out whether going or not.

Has James Ryan left Lansdowne? That is a strange move? Usually lads leave Uni to go to clubs very rarely the other way around. Must be the Andy Skeahan love in factor as new coach and a Michael's re-union. UCD must have serious options at 2nd row. Molony, McMahon, Thornbury, Ryan, Treacy from Under 20s last year and Reagan as well plus I know I am forgetting one or two? Is Jack Dwan there as well

I'd say Molony is finished playing for UCD.

• Advertisement

ArmchairQB wrote: »

I wasn't trying to bring up the 2nd of Jan argument at all!!!

If I'm honest I think it would be nigh on impossible to have a 'perfect' layout with the amount of pro and A games on. We are always going to be hampered to a certain extent by the weather and pitch conditions as a result. From a quick chat with a couple of the lads they seem to be pretty happy with 7 weeks although that seems huge to me. I wouldn't have thought coaches would be as keen on 7 weeks off.

I'd be happy with Armchairs suggestion. Possibly Friday nights where possible on the last game prior to Xmas. I just think so close to after xmas is asking a lot of the players.

Ye very odd move from Ryan. He would have been potentially the key player for Lansdowne with Beirne gone too they'll be very light in the 2nd row if they don't recruit well. I really don't like the idea of having that many players at one club, it really shows the inequality of the current rules.

Advertisement