Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spanish Baby Name

• 14-06-2016 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for advise if the baby name will have our child bullied. I'm Irish in my 30s have red hair, freckles and pale skin however my beautiful wife is Spanish with dark hair, brown eyes and tans easily.
    Our baby will have my surname (typical Irish surname) so for balance and to recognise my wife's heritage we decided to give our baby a Spanish first name. Our baby boy will be call Alonso or Javier but from reading various forum outside boards.ie it seems the advise is not to give your child a name that will have them stand out in the classroom or even later in life will this go against him on his CV?
    Perhaps I'm over thinking this. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Hi,
    Looking for advise if the baby name will have our child bullied. I'm Irish in my 30s have red hair, freckles and pale skin however my beautiful wife is Spanish with dark hair, brown eyes and tans easily.
    Our baby will have my surname (typical Irish surname) so for balance and to recognise my wife's heritage we decided to give our baby a Spanish first name. Our baby boy will be call Alonso or Javier but from reading various forum outside boards.ie it seems the advise is not to give your child a name that will have them stand out in the classroom or even later in life will this go against him on his CV?
    Perhaps I'm over thinking this. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated here.

Give them the name you want, forget about the rest.

Kids will bully and be bullied over anything. Height, weight, hair, glasses, clothes, whatever. In modern Ireland, it's increasingly common for kids to be in school with children of African parents, Asian patents, eastern European parents etc. They'll be exposed to non traditional Irish names from am early stage in life. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I went to school with a guy called Diego, granted it was 20 years ago but I don't remember him getting any stick (his mother was Spanish) and tbh the names you mentioned are a hell of a lot better than some I hear in my kids playground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I wouldn't let any of that bother me. When I get a cv with someone with a foreign name I'll check do they have appropriate qualifications that are internationally recognized and does the cv read like their level of English is good. Alonso Murphy wouldn't have any issues that Shane McCarthy wouldn't have.

A lot of people go with first names common to both cultures eg David, Daniel, Ferdinand, Maria, Isabel. Personally i'd go with Carlos or Pedro though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bizarre that before a child is even born we're thinking about telling them to fit in and conform to the crowd rather than stand out :)

No, that doesn't mean that a name like Poppy Flower is a great idea, but whatever you like will be fine. As others say, if someone wants to be a bully, they will latch onto anything; they will find something. A slightly foreign sounding name won't in itself be a reason for bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

I would name your baby something that means something and is important to you and your wife... "typical / traditional names" seem to be a thing of the past. My daughter currently is friends with Precious, Faith, Princess, Saffron and April. Kids will always find something to bully over, sadly it is a way of life...

Also I think having a mixed name is definitely something of a talking point when meeting someone new and a really nice ice breaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Anybody who judges a potential employee for having a foreign name is not the kind of employer I'd like to have. :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I worked with a guy called Jose who had a very Irish surname - he was similar to OP's kid, a Portuguese mother and Irish father. He never had any problems really with it.

Advertisement