Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flood relief schemes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

These schemes are not cheap.

I would love to see the CBA on some of them.

I was in a town in north Cork a few years back. Property near the river is grim and is priced well below the cost of new build. Is it worth spending millions on reducing flood risk to such low levels? Compared to just building houses in areas that don't flood?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Would it be worth building a canal or some such from Lough Derg to the sea to drain the Shannon?

From Scarriff to Clarecastle is about 30 km and from Portumna area to Kinvara is about 45 km. Now I'm not sure if some rivers could be used, but it would allow a lot of excess water to run off harmlessly if we got a repeat of last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's the Shannon? Clear that of vegetation maybe for a cheaper initial solution

The bit the hydro scheme has reduced the flow on

Advertisement