Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Películas Españolas

Options
  • 10-05-2003 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

My Spanish is steadily declining so I'm gonna get a film of some kind on DVD - preferable a comedy, but anything that's not 'strange' à la Matador by Almodovar (I think). Anybody any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dónall

Have you enjoyed Spanish comedy stuff already? It's one side of Spanish TV & cinema that I've never been able to get into.
    If I was to recommend anything I'm say El Día de la Bestía from a few years back, which is about the Antichrist coming to Madrid, it's quite funny. It's got a Heavy Metal soundtrack that's not bad either. Santiago Segura's in it and he's good I think. Another Segura comedy is Torrente (El brazo tonto de la Ley), released a couple of years ago it was the highest grossing Spanish movie of all time. The humour is very male adolescent, but nothing wrong with a bit of that I suppose :D .

You mentioned Almodóvar's Matador being very strange - I don't know if you've seen any of his more recent stuff but in the last few years he's been less out to deliberately shock and has been making some really beautiful, classy cinema; he's one of the true originals, I think. A genius perhaps.

BTW, how much Spanish cinema can you get your hands on in Ireland. I'm going to be moving back to Ireland next month after many years in Spain and I've been accumulating a little collection of videos and DVD's so as to keep my Spanish alive. I was figuring there wouldn't be too much available in Ireland so I'd have to have my own stash.
    Hasta Luego

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Dónall
    how much Spanish cinema can you get your hands on in Ireland. I'm going to be moving back to Ireland next month after many years in Spain and I've been accumulating a little collection of videos and DVD's so as to keep my Spanish alive. I was figuring there wouldn't be too much available in Ireland so I'd have to have my own stash.
    Hasta Luego
    Ha! Spanish cinema in Ireland? Gawd if it's not American you don't have much chance of getting it here :rolleyes: :( Then again, perhaps there's more of a chance of finding a decent place in Dublin, but I rarely go there.

I'm just going to trawl the internet looking for somewhere decent to get them, or so I'm hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dónall

Well I hope you find some good "gangas" online somewhere. Pity you can't rent the films tho' - I'll tell you that can be difficult even here in Spain. Homegrown cinema isn't wildly popular here (unless it's Torrente or something like that) You get
    the odd new release for rent in Blockbuster or wherever but anything older is confined to the tiny "foreign" cinema, arthouse stuff corner. ¡Bastante Irónico, digo yo! :mad:
    And there always seems to be alot of very interesting cinema coming out of Latin America too. Sometimes when you know Spanish you forget what a huge chunk of the world that gives you access to.
    Suerte.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gringo

yeah el ia de la bestia is a clas film had to see it for a project in college along with abre lo ojos way f*cking better than vanilla sky. if you wanna gwt spanish films try either laser in town for videos they have a wide selection or if not el instituto de cevantes(badly spelt me thinks) i was told they have a fair slection if you find somewhere good please let me know!

Hasta luego! he acabado collegio y tengo que hablar español si no mi nivel va a bajar! espero hablar español aqui! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Abre los Ojos and Tesis are incredible films. Vanilla Sky was terrible.

There is some wonderful Spanish and South American cinema, you just have to look for it. As far as I recall the Instituto Cervantes has a good collection of videos that you can borrow

• Advertisement
Advertisement