Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike - buying advice

• 17-09-2002 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey all,

My trusty mountain bike is finally coming to its last days after a long life of good service. It's becoming a bit costly to get bits and piece replaced regularly, so I'm looking at the possibility of a new bike, and hoping you guys can help.

My current bike is your typical inexpensive 10 yr old, 18-speed "town" mountain bike (with rusted carrier, mudguards and snapped prop). It's done the job, but is past it at this stage methinks.

So, I'm looking for advice on purchasing a fairly inexpensive bike (new or 2nd hand), in the Dublin area (I live in Killester, City Cycles on Fairview is my local shop).

I commute 4 miles or so most days (to & from work), and also do the 4 mile round trip into the city centre fairly often. The bike is used mainly for city riding (which can be quite rough as you know), also there are 1 or 2 tracks around that I like to be able to handle.

I lock up in town quite often too, sometimes in O'Connell St/Molly Malone/Sth Williams St. . My current bike looks in a lot worse shape than it actually is so I never had hassle leaving it there for a couple of hours.

Have you guys any advice on make, model, shops to try, or anything else you can think of?

Cheers,
    Al.

Comments

Advertisement