Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not paying any USI levy this year

Options
  • 24-08-2005 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Why should representation by the DCUSU be 'mandatory'? I'm not paying any affiliation fees to any student union this year.

Students should be allowed choose whether they want to join a union or not. The DCUSU have very liberal policies that many students may not agree with. One really does have to be careful what they sign up to these days.

The DCUSU is precisely that, a union. Membership is optional and students should be more aware of this. Since when was it made law that all students are compelled to join one particular union?

DCUSU is full of kno*!s (my opinion; I don't think I'm alone on this either!) who go around purporting to being in authority, but in reality nobody really cares what they get up to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

How can you not pay it? If you don't pay the extra €38 they add to the registration fee (registration fee? what a joke) they probably won't let you register, or maybe they will eventually, after you give out to the su and what not but you'll probably not be registered for classes and labs or able to login into the computers for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't pay it if we didn't have to but what are you to do, typical dcu bullshít, charging you for everything. Sneezing during registration is a €10 fine this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

cotillion wrote:
    How can you not pay it? If you don't pay the extra €38 they add to the registration fee (registration fee? what a joke) they probably won't let you register, or maybe they will eventually, after you give out to the su and what not but you'll probably not be registered for classes and labs or able to login into the computers for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't pay it if we didn't have to but what are you to do, typical dcu bullshít, charging you for everything. Sneezing during registration is a €10 fine this year.

Organise a referendum to change this policy otherwise pay up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

Bollox.

You don't need to have a 'referendum' to not join a union. That's like saying when I get a job, I have to organise a referendum amongst my co-workers if I don't want to join IMPACT (or some other trade union).

Union membership is a matter of choice.

Bollox.

You don't need to have a 'referendum' to not join a union. That's like saying when I get a job, I have to organise a referendum amongst my co-workers if I don't want to join IMPACT (or some other trade union).

Union membership is a matter of choice.

Check it out with you students union. when I was in Uni we had to pass a referendum to join usi and vica versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭cotillion

I'll be paying up then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

€38 extra lads....

bunch a moan bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

Check it out with you students union. when I was in Uni we had to pass a referendum to join usi and vica versa

What do you mean check it out with the students' union? As if they had authority over me? I hate the way they just assume authority. I'm not joining the students' union.

Didn't you know all student are automatically members of the student union comrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not paying any USI levy this year

We know that - DCUSU is not a member of USI - so no-one in DCU is

Students should be allowed choose whether they want to join a union or not. The DCUSU have very liberal policies that many students may not agree with. One really does have to be careful what they sign up to these days.

If a union has liberal policies - it is only cause that is what their members decide
    The DCUSU is precisely that, a union. Membership is optional and students should be more aware of this. Since when was it made law that all students are compelled to join one particular union?

Membership is not optional in any SU - get over it
    DCUSU is full of kno*!s (my opinion; I don't think I'm alone on this either!) who go around purporting to being in authority, but in reality nobody really cares what they get up to.

em DCUSU is you, DCUSU is the entire student body - Clearly by saying DCUSU is full of knobs you including every DCU student

Personally if I was in DCU I would happily pay the SU and USI fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Well your angry enough about it, I'll give you that. Seriously though, what do you think this money goes to? It goes to pay for events run by the SU etc...The place doesnt run by itself you know. Its the same in every Uni anyway so don't direct all your anger at the DCU SU.

What Johnnymcg said too...

And as a matter of interest I wonder do the SPC get any of that money?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The DCUSU have very liberal policies that many students may not agree with.

Which policies are those?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Why should representation by the DCUSU be 'mandatory'? I'm not paying any affiliation fees to any student union this year. Students should be allowed choose whether they want to join a union or not.

What are you talking about? DCU SU hasn't been part of USI for three or four years now.
    The DCUSU have very liberal policies that many students may not agree with.

What policies are those? And why should you be careful what you sign up to? If you (later say that you) don't care what they get up to, why should 'signing up' bother you?

Ignoring the fact that there are plenty of unions that operate in a closed shop environment, its not the law, it's a DCU rule. If you don't like it, a) take it up with the university or b) don't go to DCU. Like it or not, you don't have a choice.

The SU (and other groups that capitation goes to) provide a service to all students whether you're aware of it or not. They also pay wages for many permanent staff, which is (to my knowledge) one of the reasons for the mandatory membership. If the only people who paid membership were the people who were directly affected by the union, everyone else would lose out.

Out of curiosity, what do you know about the SU take makes them kno*!s? What policies do they have that you disagree with? What have they not done that you think they should? The constant uninformed moaning that goes on in DCU is so pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

This dumbass has an issue with the USI, that's all. He posted the exact same thread in UCD and tried to cause issues in there too - troll. Ban and ignore.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ah, don't ban him yet, I want to find out what the liberal policies of the SU are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

dregin wrote:
    Ah, don't ban him yet, I want to find out what the liberal policies of the SU are!!

Clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

And as a matter of interest I wonder do the SPC get any of that money?

the money is split between SCC, SPC and the union. its not an even split, think its 36%, 26%, 38% respectively or something similar.

Advertisement