Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Classic truck insurance

• 28-07-2005 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭ Irish-trucker

hi ,

i've got a big dilemma on my hands , me and my father want to buy a classic truck (rigid) to transport vintage tractor's to at most 3-4 shows a year ,as well as show it in time when it's painted etc.. a volvo F6 .

But we have tried the I.V.S and they won't insure us , as were carrying a load .
    and other insurance company's are saying we need to be a private limited comp. to insure a commercial vehicle .

IS there ANYONE in ireland , who can do insurance to cater for our need :confused:

We are Just about to buy the truck , but cannot if we can't get the issue of insurance out of the way .

It's a pain in the arse because , it would be used as i said 3-4 times in summer ,then parked up for the rest of the year .

Could ANYONE help us out ?

any information very much appreciated :)

John :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera

Thats strange, I would have thought that it would be no problem to get classic insurance on a truck ?!
    .......there were certaintly plenty of classic trucks at the Fingal Show last Sunday - many with tractors onboard!
    (Although, many were N.I registered trucks - classic ins may be easier to obtain in the UK?!)

Have you tried the insurance brokers and companies in my 'sticky' listing at the top of this forum ?

Alternatively, I would suggest that you contact some clubs/classic truck owners for advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 Alfasudcrazy

All I can say to help you out is to give my insurance brokers a ring - I have always found them very flexable and understanding in my years with them.
    I have several classic cars insured with them - but I don't know what their attitude is to classic trucks with loads. They seem well connected to the classic insurance scene though so give them a call :)

Gogans Insurances Ltd
    tel .........01 2990299
    Fax........ 01 2990298
    email...... [email protected]

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fanai

hi ,

i've got a big dilemma on my hands , me and my father want to buy a classic truck (rigid) to transport vintage tractor's to at most 3-4 shows a year ,as well as show it in time when it's painted etc.. a volvo F6 .

But we have tried the I.V.S and they won't insure us , as were carrying a load .
    and other insurance company's are saying we need to be a private limited comp. to insure a commercial vehicle .

IS there ANYONE in ireland , who can do insurance to cater for our need :confused:

We are Just about to buy the truck , but cannot if we can't get the issue of insurance out of the way .

It's a pain in the arse because , it would be used as i said 3-4 times in summer ,then parked up for the rest of the year .

Could ANYONE help us out ?

any information very much appreciated :)

John :rolleyes:

Well John, I would say 'that carrying a load, whatever it is, on a NON-COMMERCIAL i.e. PRIVATE basis' is maybe an eye opener :( for the I.V.S. and the other reluctant insurers..?

The Vintage Military Trucks have the same issue...:o

Best of luck!

Fanai

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭ carchaeologist

9 year old thread dredge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,738 ✭✭✭✭ corktina

new record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭ hi5

Still topical though... and would tie in with the whole DOE thing, if its registered vin/vet is it still a commercial vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fanai

:) Well, you will have 'normally' in your insurance policy stated 'Not for Commercial Use' or something equivalent and carrying goods/persons for Private Use shouldn't be a problem...:dizzy:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭ Silvera

I wonder did the OP the insurance sorted after all?

'Autoline' in N.I. may be able to sort him out..they appear to be more 'open' to all sorts of classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,304 savagethegoat

dead but wont lie down

Advertisement