Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the strangest thing you've eaten. (keep it clean!!)

• 16-07-2001 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

OK. in no particular order.

Alligator.
    Reindeer.
    Guinea Pig (in chile had a taste!!)

Any one else...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

hhhmmmmm I have tried ostrage (I know the spelling is all wrong so excuse me) once and I must say it was different but nice. I never really ventured from the tacks bar that. Very interesting topic I am going to enjoy the responces here....

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

It was only reciently actually, i had the strangest thing yet. I was away for the weekend, and the place we were staying served up this strange greeny substance with some weird colourfull additions around the edges. Ill admit i had seen it around before but thought it purly decorational. Im not one to turn away from a challenge so i tucked in. It was foul. Really horrible stuff. eventually i had to send it back, thankfully it was only part of the meal and my place and chips arrived soon after. I later discovered it was called a 'salad' . Just to warn you. Stay away from it. green = bad m-kay!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well...

Lambs Testicles (2) wrapped in pastry. Actually tastes like a sausage roll! smile.gif

Polvo, octopus cooked, let go cold, no sauce or seasoning except for half a lemon to squeeze onto it. Didn't like that.

Snails. Little ones, not the big fat gits we have here. Salty and chewy.

I tasted Snake .It was rather tastless and rubbery .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've tried some of the Japanese delicacies, including sushi.

But my real penchant is for cake ingredients.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Advertisement

And to spice up the topic, I have eaten something that was like tangy trout .....

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

....tangy trout? Hmmm, do please continue smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Kangaroo
    Crocodile
    Emu
    those in austrailia
    Octopus
    in some weird restaurant in town

Hey Kayos, I just noticed the the Karma brownie point. I was so used to having none I didn't notice, thanks smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've had sushi and sashimi a bunch of times - I'd recommend Yamamoori on South Gt. George's Street in Dublin for it. ... wouldn't quite consider it "strange" though.

I've also tried ostrich and thought it was quite nice. Not outstanding, though- not unique. Similar to steak... or so I thought at the time (8 years ago, in Switzerland).

LoLth - those tiny snails... they weren't Periwinkles, were they? Used to eat them by the bucketload as a kid, down the west... hate the f3ckin' things these days... smelly, salty rotten little b4stards!

Bard
    I've got a plan... and it's as HOT... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

The just plain oddest thing I've ever eaten has to be Finnish "squeeky cheese". They're terribly proud if it over there because it's unique.

It's not nasty to taste, in fact it doesn't have any particular flavour. The closest thing I can equate it's texture to is a packet of jelly, before it's been melted. When you bite into it a high pitched squeeking noise runs round the inside of your head from the teeth up to the top of your skull.

Extremely disconcerting.

Generally served with "Cloudberries" which can also (surprise, surprise) only be found in Finland.

In swamps.

Where they should be left.

K

Well the south afrians have some odd stuff like sun baked meat (can't remember the name).

Amurulla - naturally alcoholic berries. Elephants do them by the treefull.
    [Anton is gutting a large fruit - about 12 inches long - on the dining room table, Tommy enters the room, Tommy is an alcoholic Finn]

Anton: morning
    Tommy [hungover]: ugghh. What do you have there?
    Anton: A lemon.
    Tommy [trying to focus eyes]: Whao thats a big lemon?
    Anton: Oh sorry, melon
    Tommy [hungover]: aaah!

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 21-07-2001).]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Crocadile
    Shark
    Baby octopus legs (less then a minute dead).
    Shredded Jellyfish (in coleslaw... ick!)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Shark
    Squid (I like squid, and eat it on a regular basis)
    Snails (I used to love these as a kid, in garlic sauce)
    Rabbit (Again, this isn't too strange, but still... I used to love it)

And I used to eat mealworms (hard-shelled grubs) for bar tricks. biggrin.gif They taste like milk...

-Dark-Angel-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

I was eating in this restaurant in turkey, and everything was in some joker forgien language so i picked one.

It was fairly bland and chewy, i asked, through hand gestures they eventually explained that it was snake, i nearly spewed, they laughed i didnt.

moral of the story is, be multilingulal.

Aka: Sexual Harassment Panda

[This message has been edited by Kento-Shiro (edited 22-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Well the south afrians have some odd stuff like sun baked meat (can't remember the name).</font>

Biltung! mmm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Regi:
    Biltung! mmm</font>

Thank you. uuuaaaaggh frown.gif <- /me feels sick at the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Pigeon's a bit boney

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Don't know what you would define werid (Sushi isn't werid).

As for Devores post. There is a Korean National here and she ate live baby octopus (or could of been squid). They put it in some special sauce which calms it down, but certainly not something you want to watch someone eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Kangaroo
    Ostrich
    Squid
    Raw Beef in a shushi bar, dunno what it's called though.

I had a chance to eat snails once, but when I saw them I decided against it. Not exactly strange but good never the less: Toasted vanilla ice-cream, chocolate spread and banana sandwiches. hmmmm .....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    ...live baby octopus... in some special sauce which calms it down...</font>

*uurrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaa*

*cough*

*spit*

Jebus but that is incredibly revolting, I seriously nearly barfed. Winner alright, winner alright.

K

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:

...live baby octopus.. They put it in some special sauce which calms it down...
    </font>

Where could one purchase some of this calming sauce? wink.gif "Calming sauce, mmmmmm". (To be said in Homer simpson voice)

[This message has been edited by BNC (edited 26-07-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

[mod edit]
    snip
    [/mod edit]
    Now now we'll have none of that sort of talk..

kayos

[This message has been edited by kayos (edited 01-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fried crickets, crunchy, nice as a dipper in sauce.(head first)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Let's just say our neighbours cat "Moggy" shouldn't 'ave been rooting through our bins out the back while there were 4 hungry students only metres away, anticipating it's every move. Here kitty kitty kitty.

Neeeeeowwwww.........**.........NYOM biggrin.gif

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Now Now no cruekty to animals West or I'll called a ISPCA on you....

kayos
    When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Squid, v. nice.
    Ostrich, we have a farm for them near us, got served ostrich steaks in a bbq at a pub, lovely with a pint of murphys biggrin.gif

The worst would have been horse in france, it's bloody awful, so string etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I have tried almost any Fish in the sea
    Shark(like Beef), squid, octobus, eel... Oh GOD MUSSELS .... ummmmmmmmmmmmm biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I love Sea fishies... smile.gif um um

I tried Rabbit(or what was left of it when i shot it with a Hornet rifle)... Liked it cause i shot it... its not really a strange food....

A Shot of Human blood. Probably the weirdest... It wasn't my blood smile.gif

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choas@netshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

ive eat ostrich aswell,
    quite nice smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭LURCH

hmm, this isnt the weirdest food but the weirdest combination in a sandwich smile.gif
    i once tried a combination of lemon urd and branston pickle in a sandwich, quite tasty, but maybe that was just me
    and does anyone like salad cream sandwichs ?

is it real ? it can't be, are u serious ?

Advertisement