Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New cloud formations

Comments

mighty clouds alright.

I've seen those types of clouds here in wicklow before...they usually mean thunder.
    Indeed the last time I definitely remember them in the month of june, storms came a few hours later with lightning blowing a chimney off the roof of a bungulow up the road... and Boy was that a loud long rumble in amongst all the rest of the noisy thunder with forked lighning going off at the same time as the banging.
    3 am or so too so it was a pretty if frightening picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

You saw them? Cool. I'd love to see them, even if it would freak me out a bit.

Weirdest looking clouds ever are Mammatus clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Berger wrote:
    They look freaky, any idea how they are formed or what weather conditions are needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

A quick google found this: http://www.ucar.edu/educ_outreach/webweather/cloudpic9.html

They are named after boobies lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Berger wrote:

Thats the best mammatus pic i've ever seen !! , that your's Berger ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Berger wrote:

I have indeed seen them and in fact iirc, they were so strong and widespread up the eastern half of the country that day you could make them out on the evenings sat pic. It was 3 or 4 years ago iirc but I've seen them since but not as pronounced.
    Never as pronounced as the ones you've shown us though-they're scarey :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Longfield wrote:
    Thats the best mammatus pic i've ever seen !! , that your's Berger ?

Nah it isnt mine, just did a quick google for them and saw that pic.

Anyone have any more pics of weird cloud formations? I was googling for a while and saw "shelfclouds" which were pretty interesting looking. They kind of remind me of Independance Day.

shelf_cloud3_OPT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

My fave is morning glory which can be seen in various parts of the world.

I saw a strange, colourful one on TheWeatherOutlook.com a while back in the photgraphy forum. I'll go and have a look to see if I can find it.

Here's one that I didn't see.

And here's the one I was talking about.

A morning glory website :) And some movie clips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Dale

:o Oh my goodness, those clouds are amazing. I wish i saw them here. :(

• Advertisement

These have just passed overhead. I've spotted patchy mammatus during the day and then these appeared overhead. Managed to snap them with my XDA's camera. Over southwest Dublin heading north east.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ye i saw a very nice example of mammatus here yesterday :D

Very very ominous looking cloud formation and it was the first time
    i saw the properly formed cloud type. :D

There were loads of them around Wicklow on monday.

Advertisement