Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

o connall bridge measurements

Options
  • 10-05-2005 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

anyone know the measurements of the bridge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is wider than it it's span, but this is not as unusal as it is made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I know that you just said otherwise, but I wanted to ask about something.

I once heard a rumour that O Connel bridge is a perfect square. Has anybody esle heard that before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

I know that you just said otherwise, but I wanted to ask about something.

I once heard a rumour that O Connel bridge is a perfect square. Has anybody esle heard that before?
    Victor wrote:
    It is wider than it it's span

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

Originally designed and built by James Gandon, O'Connell Bridge was built in 1794-98 and named aftyer the then Viceroy - Lord Carlisle. The original bridge had a hump and was much narrower and Gandon had designed obelisks and plinths for the four corners. In 1880 it was widened and the hump removed - it is now almost square - being as wide as it is long. In 1882 it was renamed after Daniel O'Connell when the statue in his honour was unveiled. Recently the lamps that graced the central island have been restored to their five lantern glory.

If any one asks, no I didnt rob this from another site, I made it all up myself

Advertisement