Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

places to eat...

Options
  • 21-04-2005 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

folks,

can anyone recommend some nice places to eat in galway? heading down for a quasi-romantic weekend, which kinda rules out the charcoal grill...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Fat Freddys on Quay St! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

yamo wrote:
    heading down for a quasi-romantic weekend, which kinda rules out the charcoal grill...
    If she loves you, she will join you for a doner in Klav Kalash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Lynches on Shop St. is rather nice. Went in there for the forst time in years last week. Good food, fair prices (Except for charging 1.30 for a can of coke, but the water's free and plentiful), and a nice quiet tidy place all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Yank

Quasi-romantic definitely spells out HomePlate Restaurant to me. Good food, cozy, etc. Plus they have an organic menu. it's on Mary St., around the corner from Sally Longs and next to La Salsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I was in, um The Bombay Palace (I think that's the name) on Eglington street at the weekend and it was loverly. As long as your romance can stand Indian food-breath! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i like marios and the chip shop opposite roisins

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

Milanos in the cornstore on middle street. nice classy italian place-reasonably priced

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Milanos is a bit of a scam. One of my friends washes dishes and another makes all the food. Any food there that isn't pizza is from frozen. The pizza is meant to be nice, but I can't get my head enough around the fact that this guy makes them for me to buy one.

Great business model though, everyone thinks it's all classy and **** and it's actually just a couple of my bum friends and a freezer. Another example of that is KC Blakes at the bottom of quay street. Great reputation great location classy place and apparently frozen crappy food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Yank

Maybe if there was a food critic in Galway, or a restaurant review in the Advertiser, we could actually get some decent places to eat. This kind of stuff -- like using frozen food -- should be exposed more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

fozzle wrote:
    I was in, um The Bombay Palace (I think that's the name) on Eglington street at the weekend and it was loverly. As long as your romance can stand Indian food-breath! ;)

That was indeed the Bombay Palace, my fozzly friend, but it's in St Francis Street, not Eglington Street.

Speaking of all food Asian, has anyone been in Thai Garden in Spanish Parade (opposite Eastern Tandoori and BK's (formerly Biquet's))? They have really friendly waitresses and a snug dining room.

Um, frozen food doesn't need to be exposed, because everyone knows about it. Milano (NOT Milano's!) is a great model for good affordable Italian food. My dad based his restaurant (Archer's, Camp Street, Oughterard) on it. At least the food doesn't have cold patches or anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Bombay Palace do all you can eat during the day by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

My girlfriend and I went to Cactus Jacks not too long ago and it was lovely. I highly recommend the chimichanga mmm...........

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

Top 6
    Malt house just off shop st.
    Moycullen house(7miles from city)
    White gables, Moycullen.
    Mcswiggans upstairs
    Over the aquairium in salthill(top notch)
    O Gradys on the peir, Barna

You cannot go wrong with any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

If you're up for some seriously good Chinese food, the "Royal Villa" on Shop Street, just opposite Easons is sooooooooo damn good! bit pricey but well worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

I like the da tang noodle house opposite the cornstore for mid price tasty stuff (spicy chicken peanut thing mmmmmm)
    and the Thai Garden is very very nice also.

good call, How could i forget the Da Tang. Really good food, there. i know this sounds kinda feminine but the jasmine tea there is really nice too, kinda tastes like chanel no 5 though (don't ask :p )

So you like it because it taste like old ladies perfume ...hmmmm !!!! lol

I'll try some the next time im in sure it cant hurt, everything else in there is tasty, including that cute hippy waitress!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Fungtank

La Salsa Ummmmmmm

Mexican food is sooooooooo goooooood. Damn I wet myself, i gotta go get a napkin, i think they have napkins in La Salsa. I'll just go get one and maybe a pork burrito, yummy.

Seriously though. Oscars at the bottom of domnicks street is really good and quazi-romantic. Then there's The Galway bay hotel. Good food great chefs. I used to work there. Or Cookes resteraunt on abbeygates street

I know this isn't very romantic, but Riordan's on Quay Street, do this light lunch special €5.95 and you get soup, massive sandwich packed with whatever... chicken, cheese, ham etc and also a pot of tea.

After my first time there i was so full, i could barely breath. :p

About the chanel no 5 thing.... it's an aquired taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Classy, a little expensive and usually fairly empty at night: Morgan's on Forster St.

• Advertisement

It's is kinda a greasy spoon cafe, but Scotty's in town is mighty fine at times.. good burgers, good fries, GOOD deserts..... Yummy. :D

It's is kinda a greasy spoon cafe, but Scotty's in town is mighty fine at times.. good burgers, good fries, GOOD deserts..... Yummy. :D

I thought it had closed down lately, scotty had sold it and moved back to the US and few years back and then came back to galway again and opened a new business out across the road from GMIT, in the "Sunset Grill"

And its undoubtedly the best burger / icecream meal in Galway!!!
    well worth the spin out there......mmmmmm

He opened another store near the wellpark Industrial estate. i suppose he is trying to appeal to the "Great Unwashed" that are the students of Moinin na gCiseach. God, how i hate being in the same building as them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He opened another store near the wellpark Industrial estate. i suppose he is trying to appeal to the "Great Unwashed" that are the students of Moinin na gCiseach. God, how i hate being in the same building as them.

Yeah, but thats not a real store. Its more like a little cafe type, and for gods sake its in the middle of Woodies DIY!! :confused:
    I thought it had closed down lately, scotty had sold it and moved back to the US and few years back and then came back to galway again and opened a new business out across the road from GMIT, in the "Sunset Grill"

Indeed. Heard he was doing quite well out there but got screwed over with regards to the crappy US health insurance policies after someone got sick...

Oh well. Agreed though, great food there!

i take it you have been to Scotty's in wellpark? I have heard it is quitre nice.... then again... I was spoiled by the utter delicacy of the Scotty's in Glasan, (student accomodation near GMIT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i take it you have been to Scotty's in wellpark? I have heard it is quitre nice.... then again... I was spoiled by the utter delicacy of the Scotty's in Glasan, (student accomodation near GMIT)

Yes, Did you not read my above post? The one is wellpark is pretty crap, and slap bang in the middle of a DIY store which really isn't ideal. Its not the same, so unless your fellow students like salads and rolls, the one in Glasan is the way to go

Mmmmm... Glasan!

Today, I had a pizza from Cafe Florence in Oranmore, it was sexual! literally, I think some one jizzed on it!

Still though, quite delicious, ate every bit and licked my fingers clean!

Doesn't anyone know of a decent pizza parlour in the city? preferabely where they make the pizza from scratch right then and there.

Advertisement